• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Solar panel for portable power station

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
I'm thinking of getting a Jackery SolarSaga 100 Solar Panel for a Jackery 300 Power Station. Anyone have any experience with these, or any other brands?
In an extended outage it would give me an unending supply of light. I live in an apartment where I can't have a generator.
thanks.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with these, but there is a bunch of videos on you tube. This guy is good...

Here's another guy with the same panel review:

Ok. Just 1 more...

Last edited:
Matt - that's the unit I'm thinking of getting. But I'd buy directly from Jackery.
Yeah. Great reviews. modern attachments. Peace of mind when the lights flicker. If you have windows that face the Sun, and are not on a ground floor, you have that added safety.
Maybe slightly lowered wattage, but harder to run away with. If you must put the panels outside, you could run a cable-lock through the handles.

I like the looks and quality of this unit. Please post back with your thoughts if you buy it Beth.

~Matt

I'm also looking for a portable solar panel and while the Jackery's look fine, I'm looking for something smaller and lighter for recharging small flashlights, a phone, and a small power bank (10k mah). I've seen some around $30 that are like 20 watts, but am wondering what should I look for with wattage output?

So just get either the 60w or 100w Jackery panel then?
Damn phone
Looked up that unit
It can only put out 5v @ 2.4A on the USB charger (3 on the USB C) so you won't be able to use the peak power unless you have a 12v battery and charge controller to absorb the excess for later use
That it isn't water proof for that price is unreasonable.

Question is how much power
I figure let's say we get California style blackouts that goes on for 3 days, I'm gonna need some way other than my car to charge my phone and rechargeable lights and when they're charged I'd want to juice up a power bank.

Not a necessity to get the power banks recharged, but it'd be nice. Just wish they didn't recharge via micro USB, takes forever even when connected to a wall.

I figure let's say we get California style blackouts that goes on for 3 days, I'm gonna need some way other than my car to charge my phone and rechargeable lights and when they're charged I'd want to juice up a power bank.

Not a necessity to get the power banks recharged, but it'd be nice. Just wish they didn't recharge via micro USB, takes forever even when connected to a wall.
I hit post on my phone by accident
If it's an at home solution then a standard panel with a charge controller and battery bank is going to be more expensive but infinitely better

IDK what a charge controller is.

As for battery, you talking about the portable generators like Rockpals?
Charge controller goes between the panel and a battery.
It maximizes the power from the panel and prevents over charging the battery
For a battery I'm talking about a standard SLA (could go for a lithium iron phosphate)
Hell, you could even use your car battery as long as you don't deep cycle it.

200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase
200w kit - add a battery and you're in business

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom