Some good and bad news... You feel lucky???

I hope this is what to expect in the future....

Do you feel lucky? Minority GOP isn't playing the punk on gun bills

By Lynn Bartels And Alan Gathright, Rocky Mountain News
February 14, 2007
Republican lawmakers, often lining up with Democrats on renewable-energy bills this session, are drawing the line on gun issues.

Even they poke fun at their environmental sensitivity.

"It's God, guns and granola now," joked Rep. Cory Gardner, R-Yuma, playing off the "God, guns and gays" mantra.

So Senate Republicans found much to cheer about Tuesday when three Democrats voted with them to gut a gun measure that would have required concealed-weapons permit-holders to reside in the state where the permit is issued.

Democrats quickly pulled the bill from debate to figure out how to salvage it.

And in the House, seven Democrats joined with Republicans on Monday to support Gardner's bill to expand Colorado's "make my day law" to include businesses as well as homes. It passed by one vote on initial reading, and Democrats are working to defeat it on a final vote.

"To me, it's proof that Colorado is still a conservative-slash- libertarian state," said Sen. Greg Brophy, R-Yuma.

Gun bills aren't dominating this session as they did in 2000, after the Columbine High School shootings, when lawmakers once fought until 1 a.m. about gun measures, including background checks at gun shows.

But the votes this week have heartened conservatives.

"This should be a lesson to the majority party," Brophy said Tuesday. "In Colorado, we like our guns."

Democrats control the House, Senate and governor's office for the first time since 1962.

Senate Majority Leader Ken Gordon, D-Denver, said Democrats recognize Second Amendment rights.

"We're not trying to take anyone's guns away, but no one has a constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon," he said.

He pointed out that the concealed-weapons bill in the Senate is a "safety" measure sponsored by a former police chief, Sen. John Morse, D-Colorado Springs.

But in the crossfire over firearms bills, even a staunch defender of gun owners' rights such as Rep. Al White, R-Winter Park, has been blasted by his own party.

The statewide database of concealed-weapons permits expires July 1. White introduced a bill to do away with the expiration, which would make the database permanent.

White said he introduced the bill because he figures Democrats would be more likely to keep the concealed-weapons law if the state maintains a database.

But that reasoning hasn't stopped pro-gun groups from taking potshots.

"I got a real nasty e-mail from one of their members calling me a communist, treasonist legislator," White said.

Two gun measures under consideration

• HOUSE BILL 1011

What it does: Adds place of business to the current "make my day law" that allows a person to use deadly force against an intruder if he fears imminent death or serious bodily injury.

Status: Waiting for final vote in the House; passed by one vote on initial reading after seven Democrats joined with Republicans in supporting it.

• SENATE BILL 34

What it does: Clarifies that a person cannot use a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued in another state if that person does not currently reside in the issuing state.

Status: Senate debate postponed Tuesday after three Democrats sided with Republicans in gutting it.

"We're not trying to take anyone's guns away, but no one has a constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon," he said.

i love this quote......... i agree with him.... open carry for everyone....

• SENATE BILL 34

What it does: Clarifies that a person cannot use a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued in another state if that person does not currently reside in the issuing state.

What does this say?
No non-resident licenses?

• SENATE BILL 34

What does this say?
No non-resident licenses?

That would be terrible. I'm about to have the opposite problem. When I renew in the new city I've moved into the chief is most likely going to restrict my LTC to "Target and Hunting". But, I have a non-resident NH pistol permit. So I will be able to carry in NH, but not in MA where I live. Fantastic.

By Lynn Bartels And Alan Gathright, Rocky Mountain News
February 14, 2007

"To me, it's proof that Colorado is still a conservative-slash- libertarian state," said Sen. Greg Brophy, R-Yuma.

"This should be a lesson to the majority party," Brophy said Tuesday. "In Colorado, we like our guns."

Senate Majority Leader Ken Gordon, D-Denver, said Democrats recognize Second Amendment rights.

He pointed out that the concealed-weapons bill in the Senate is a "safety" measure sponsored by a former police chief, Sen. John Morse, D-Colorado Springs.

It's not Arizona, it's Colorado. Yuma, CO is about 100 miles east of Denver.

i love this quote......... i agree with him.... open carry for everyone....

I hope you're just saying that out of pure sarcasm.... "open carry only" is
pretty much unworkable and inconvenient. I think there were several
states which were like this (Kansas?) up until a law passed allowing
CC. If "open carry only" was so great, then why would they bother trying
to legalize concealed carry?

FWIW, I'm not against open carry in any way.... I just feel that both
modes need to be legal.

-Mike

It's not Arizona, it's Colorado. Yuma, CO is about 100 miles east of Denver.

Thanks, My geography is usually much better than that. [rolleyes]

Although, other than 3:10 to Yuma, it's not an area I'm familiar with.

Still irrelevant to New Englanders. We have MUCH stupider people MUCH closer to home to deal with.

I think the post is referring to an Arizona state issue, not Federal House/Senate issue.

Pilgrim,
Thanks for clarifying.
Lets hope this doesn't spread like a fungus, we know how that can happen from state to state.

I think both modes should be legal as well. I think CC is especially important because criminals won't know who's carrying and who isn't.

Clearly:

A Californian cluttering up a New England forum with an Arizona bill.......... [rolleyes]

Sorry, guys, my bad...

Nothing to be sorry about. First off, this isn't a "New England forum"; it's called "NortheastShooters", and from its inception has welcomed shooters regardless of their physical location. A lot of us currently here in the northeast are originally from the southwest (and vice versa). A lot of stupid ideas and laws take root on the west coast and move east, just as a lot of other stupid ideas and laws migrate the other direction.

Ken [who joined GOA when it started as GOC, and "Bill" Richardson was the man]

First off, this isn't a "New England forum"; it's called "NortheastShooters", and from its inception has welcomed shooters regardless of their physical location.

While residency is not a requirement, the "Northeast" IS New England. That means CA, AZ and CO are about as far away as you can get and still be in the "lower 48 states."

While pollution is migratory, expecting New Englanders to react to the ponderings of STATE legislature over 2,200 miles away is a stretch of this forum's focus.

We have enough excrement to process right here, thank you. We don't have the time to address other states' lunacies.

While residency is not a requirement, the "Northeast" IS New England. That means CA, AZ and CO are about as far away as you can get and still be in the "lower 48 states."

While pollution is migratory, expecting New Englanders to react to the ponderings of STATE legislature over 2,200 miles away is a stretch of this forum's focus.

We have enough excrement to process right here, thank you. We don't have the time to address other states' lunacies.

The Census Bureau and almost all US government sources consider the Northeast US to be the six New England states plus New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, although some other definitions include Maryland and Delaware as well. Clearly the two are not identical.

When you start your own internet forum, you'll be free to restrict the topics and viewpoints in any way that makes you feel good. In the meantime, the owners and creators of this forum will continue to define the limits here. You should be thankful that they have a seemingly limitless tolerance for excrement, otherwise your last enforced vacation might have been quite a bit longer.

Ken

The Census Bureau and almost all US government sources consider the Northeast US to be the six New England states plus New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, although some other definitions include Maryland and Delaware as well.

Don't know what maps you're using, but Maryland and Delaware are Mid-Atlantic; not Northeast.

When you start your own internet forum, you'll be free to restrict the topics and viewpoints in any way that makes you feel good.

What "restriction" did I - could I - possibly impose? By your own admission, it's not my forum.

My comments about dealing with our own immediate idiots superseding those of states 2 and 3 time zones away stands.

Sorry, guys, my bad...
Aileron, don't let Scrivener get to you. He's a pompous know it all that can't or doesn't know when to shut his mouth. This is one of those time. I also agree with Ken, what starts in one state has a way of migrating to another. We also welcome anyone from anywhere. We can all work together and help each other,instead of take Scriveners approach and say it doesn't affect me because it's not happening in our state. Which it will eventually.

Scrivener you've had your warning, take heed.

... "open carry only" is
pretty much unworkable and inconvenient. I think there were several
states which were like this (Kansas?) up until a law passed allowing
CC. If "open carry only" was so great, then why would they bother trying
to legalize concealed carry?

FWIW, I'm not against open carry in any way.... I just feel that both
modes need to be legal. ...

... or at least one or the other. The trouble is, they try to make both illegal.

Aileron, don't let Scrivener get to you. He's a pompous know it all that can't or doesn't know when to shut his mouth. This is one of those time. I also agree with Ken, what starts in one state has a way of migrating to another. We also welcome anyone from anywhere. We can all work together and help each other,instead of take Scriveners approach and say it doesn't affect me because it's not happening in our state. Which it will eventually.

Scrivener you've had your warning, take heed.

Im fine...

I try to do my little part by getting information out there. Sometimes some of the info is bad/wrong or in this case felt not to be important (which is ok). On those days... I hear a little about it, but even when the info is wrong, we all learn from one of our more informed brothers/sisters in this fight about it, and we still come out better for it.

I will continue to do my part, however little, in the hopes it helps. That way in the end we push the other way on the gun issue and start to take back our rights because we are so well informed and aligned as a group; no matter what state we find ourselves in. :D

Just didn't want you to be chased away is all.[wink] Scrivener is the minority around here, and we want everyone to feel welcome. Most of us also believe that we need to work together and doesn't matter where it is you reside. We are all in the same boat, just some of us live in worse places for gun control.

Back
Top Bottom