Some help buildng an AR. Right handed Left Eye dominant

So I am building 3 AR's. One of them is for my little sister. One for my brother and one for me.

However, I learned: She is right handed but left eye dominant.

I bought 3 consecutive serial'd DPMS lower receivers for this project. I was going to have them engraved and like the idea of the consecutive serial numbers.

For those who are similarly configured, how would you build an AR15 to suit yourself?

Should I build it left handed?
If I stick a red dot sight on it, does it matter whether she is right or left eye dominant?
If I build a left handed AR15, I need a new lower? (Stag)

Build it right handed but mount your optic/red dot on one of those 45 degree riser blocks canted to the left. This way she will not have to put her face all the way across the top of the rifle. More of a PITA to sight in but it should work.

Chris

If she isn't already a rifle shooter, I would have her try shooting lefty. My thinking is that you can learn to shoot lefty, but you can't learn to change eye dominance. If she is already a rifle shooter, I'd build to match however she is already shooting.

If you do go with a lefty AR build, the only thing I would say is required is the ambidextrous (DPMS) or left hand (JP reversible) safety. I shoot left handed, and everything else on the rifle can be operated lefty without modification.

The left hand Stags are nice, though. They use the same lower - I believe the only changes are the upper itself and the bolt. I had ARs before they came out, so I decided to stick with right hand with an ambi safety, instead of having one different one.

I am right handed and Left Eye Dominant. I shoot a Normal AR and I close my left eye. The only time the dominant eye seems to make a diff is when shooting with both eyes open. If she has poor vision in the right eye that may be a different story. But for normal target shooting with a scope or even iron sights, I just use my right eye.

Ok, so a Stag upper and an ambi safety. That makes sense.

Do I still need a canted red dot or just leave it be like that?

You can, if she is going to learn to shoot left handed; however, many lefties shoot right handed rifles and learn to ignore the shell ejection.

If I stick a red dot sight on it, does it matter whether she is right or left eye dominant?
As previously mentioned it can be done. I found it awkward and easier to learn to shoot with the opposite hand. For someone starting out this should be an easy learning curve.

If I build a left handed AR15, I need a new lower?
No. Same lower, different upper.

Left eye dominant

I seem to remember watching a story on an olympic shotgun shooter. She was right handed, but left eye dominant. Her coach had her relearn to shoot left handed. They are the experts.
Build her a left handed upper.

Oh also, if like me where her left eye is about 52% dominate then it's possible if she wears an eye patch a few hours a day for a few weeks the dominance could switch or move more toward right eye dominance. This works best on Talk Like Pirate Day.

Well one thing hasn't been asked- what kind of shooting do you suspect she will be doing?

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I do ok with handguns but rifles are a challenge to shoot righty. However- When I shoot casually from the bench- closing my left eye gets the job done just fine. Action shooting though is a huge issue closing my left eye.. for me anyway. I've tried shooting rifles righty with a red dot and I think that would work fine... I don't think eye dominance is as big of an issue with a red dot. That being said I haven't done much with the red dot. I'm not sure I could switch over to lefty at this point.

I am right handed and left eyed. I have learned to shoot all long guns left handed. The new AR's have a built in brass deflector so no need for a left handed upper, ejection with a right handed gun is not a problem.
Shooting an AR lefty and carrying a pistol strong side right is great, drop the AR on a single point sling and draw your pistol from the right side the carbine is out of the way and the pistol is out nothing could be better.
The only time left handed rifle shooting becomes a problem is with bolt action.
Learning to shoot a long gun left handed should not be a problem being left eyed it will seem natural after a few practice sessions a quick learning curve.

Oh also, if like me where her left eye is about 52% dominate then it's possible if she wears an eye patch a few hours a day for a few weeks the dominance could switch or move more toward right eye dominance. This works best on Talk Like Pirate Day.

Thanks doobie. I will run the eye patch thing by her and see what she thinks.

what kind of shooting do you suspect she will be doing?

My intention was mal-intentioned boyfriends

I am right handed and left eyed. I have learned to shoot all long guns left handed. The new AR's have a built in brass deflector so no need for a left handed upper, ejection with a right handed gun is not a problem.
Shooting an AR lefty and carrying a pistol strong side right is great, drop the AR on a single point sling and draw your pistol from the right side the carbine is out of the way and the pistol is out nothing could be better.
The only time left handed rifle shooting becomes a problem is with bolt action.
Learning to shoot a long gun left handed should not be a problem being left eyed it will seem natural after a few practice sessions a quick learning curve.
Thanks for the advice.
Do you ever carry used uppers? I have 3 rifles to build and I went extremely overbudget in Dec. Need to budget these AR's over the next few months.

You can, if she is going to learn to shoot left handed; however, many lefties shoot right handed rifles and learn to ignore the shell ejection.

If this is going to be built for multiple shooters, stick with righty. I learned to shoot with RH rifles, despite being left eye dominant. It's kind of weird at first, but if she doesn't already shoot, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get the feel of it, as long as she can deal with brass flying at her. It's much easier to train yourself to shoot that way than to try & find rifles that are configured for a lefty.

Of course if it's going to be just for her use, & you got her a Stag left side set up, I'm sure she'd be happy. I know I would!

If this is going to be built for multiple shooters, stick with righty. I learned to shoot with RH rifles, despite being left eye dominant. It's kind of weird at first, but if she doesn't already shoot, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get the feel of it, as long as she can deal with brass flying at her. It's much easier to train yourself to shoot that way than to try & find rifles that are configured for a lefty.

Of course if it's going to be just for her use, & you got her a Stag left side set up, I'm sure she'd be happy. I know I would!

Good advice.
My brother and I are both right handed and already have M4's. He also has a pre-ban lower, and an NES lower.

Then I bought these 3 lowers. So whenever we get any sort of spare cash to build them, we'll have 7 all together. Maybe it'd be nice to have a lefty?

Build it as a normal righty.

Teach her to shoot it as a lefty.

The uppers all have the lump brass deflector, they work. I would add the amidextrous safety, but it isn't a MUST, just a "nice to have". Won't need the canted block.

Get her to an Appleseed, to learn how to shoot it well. All it's going to cost her is the ammo and any "range fees". The Appleseed fee (normally $70) is free, because she's female (one of our key target audiences, along with military, under 21 and elected officials).

Mal-intentioned boyfriends will be NO issue, as they won't be mal-intentioned long, once she mentions she owns an AR, and knows how to shoot it well.

And, so you know, I've been down this highway with my girlfriend, except, she had been shooting cross eye dominant for years before she met me.

I'm right hand / left eye as well. When using iron sights on an M-16, I always had to close my left eye when squeezing, then open both for next target acquisition (to avoid eye strain / tearing after too much time with 1 eye closed).

When we went overseas, we were provided with the ACOG red-dot sights, and for the first time ever, I was able to keep both eyes open. Depth perception improved, as did accuracy.

YMMV.

When we went overseas, we were provided with the ACOG red-dot sights, and for the first time ever, I was able to keep both eyes open. Depth perception improved, as did accuracy.
YMMV.

That seems like the best option for us. They are so damn expensive though.

Interesting. I am right handed and left eye dominant and have never had a real problem shooting any right handed long gun.what I don't understand is this closing of the right eye. I just "turn off " my right eye i know it sounds weird but this is something I've been able to do for all the years I've been shooting. And don't ask me how I do it I just do.
Maybe one of the EMTs on the forum can explain.

Interesting. I am right handed and left eye dominant and have never had a real problem shooting any right handed long gun.what I don't understand is this closing of the right eye. I just "turn off " my right eye i know it sounds weird but this is something I've been able to do for all the years I've been shooting. And don't ask me how I do it I just do.
Maybe one of the EMTs on the forum can explain.

You shoot rifles righty with your RIGHT eye shut? That must hurt your neck!

I have the same situation, right handed, left eyed. It was never an issue on the M-16, I jus shot lefty and never got any brass in my face. The only annoying part is the selector switch, but just get an ambidextrous one. IMHO Its a good thing to have on any rifle you might use in close quarters, sometimes it makes sense to switch hands. Also its fun to compare your shot groups shooting lefty and righty.

You shoot rifles righty with your RIGHT eye shut? That must hurt your neck!

Perhaps I should rephrase I shoot rifles left handed as I am left eye dominate.
I don't close my right eye I just "turn it off". I shoot pistol right handed with my right eye open and don't close my left eye again I just "turn it off" Does that clarify things a bit?

Perhaps I should rephrase I shoot rifles left handed as I am left eye dominate.
I don't close my right eye I just "turn it off". I shoot pistol right handed with my right eye open and don't close my left eye again I just "turn it off" Does that clarify things a bit?

Yeah.. LOL. Yeah- it's best if you let your dominant eye do its thing while leaving both eyes open if you can. I should try shooting longs guns lefty and see what happens.

You can use an ACOG with your right eye even though you are left eye dominant? My eyes get a bit cross eyed and blurry whenever I try to shoot right handed.

As JDL put it, shoot pistols on the right and rifles with your left. I look really odd in a formation because I'm the only person with the rifle on my left.

I have no problems shooting my AR with my left hand, I'd like to build up a lefty some day though.

I'm right hand / left eye as well. When using iron sights on an M-16, I always had to close my left eye when squeezing, then open both for next target acquisition (to avoid eye strain / tearing after too much time with 1 eye closed).

YMMV.

Sorry... it wasn't an ACOG, it was the Aimpoint ML2 http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=67&prev_id=67&product_id=19

By playing with the dot intensity, I could see the dot on the target with my right (non-dominant) eye, and still keep my left eye open. My left eye was far enough off of the sight that I couldn't see the dot through the scope with that eye. I also changed my cheek / stockweld and held my head straighter to force my left eye farther from the scope. And practice, practice, practice! I did lots of "dry" sighting to get familiar with the new sight picture.

I'm having a hard time with handguns, however. I may have to learn to use my left hand.

I'm having a hard time with handguns, however. I may have to learn to use my left hand.

With handguns it's really not a big deal unless you are shooting bullseye... just a minor adjustment with your arms. Isosceles stance is best- you only need to make a very small shift... don't tilt/cant your head. Weak hand shooting gives you an advantage of right eye/right hand shooters. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom