Southborough Rod and Gun Club

Thanks, MisterHappy!

I was planning on trying to make the envelope stuffing work party that day, so I might drop by the trap hill to see what it's about. I asked another member to explain the differences in Skeet and Trap to me, but I'm still confused. Haven't fired anything except .22s before, so it would be pretty cool to see!

I asked another member to explain the differences in Skeet and Trap to me, but I'm still confused.

MisterHappy is the one to talk about the differences between trap and skeet..he taught me and i've been addicted to trap since then...he even convinced me to be on the trap committee! definitely a great group of guys in both trap and skeet houses, really good teachers, they'll tell you exactly what you're doing wrong and help you correct it...best part is they never make you feel like an idiot

It's simple....Trap is the True Faith (tm).

[smile]

Easiest way is to come on out, and see the difference...much more entertaining than reading a description.

Hope to see you there!

My info is on the Club's website (Committees tab, Trap chairman) - feel free to call or email me directly.

Just a note that I shot my new Remington 870 today at Southborough Rod and Gun! Great folks, outstanding fun shooting two rounds of trap. I am not a member yet but the members couldn't have been nicer offering shooting tips and advice that helped this new 870 owner really enjoy the day. Aside from a bit of a sore shoulder :) , I can't wait to get back out there! Thanks to the SR&G members for welcoming me!

I went last weekend and had a blast. You are 100% right on the money Safehome. The people couldn't be nicer. Everyone I met was willing to share a tip for a new comer. I had never shot trap and ended up doing 4 rounds. I'll be back again soon!

Glad you folks had a good time!

We have a bunch of "special" events coming up, and when they're closer, we'll have announcements posted here, so check here, at www.srgclub.com or in Southborough R&GC's page in the Outdoor Message (It's GOAL's paper - if you're not a member ....JOIN!)

Next Special Event.....New Year's Day Hangover Blast: Crack of Noon, free coffee and asprin to all shooters!

Hi I'm looking for a club to join as well. Years ago, I use to do alot of skeet and sporting clays, but got away from it while my kids were young. Much of my time was taken up coaching or running the kids from one spot to another! Now that the youngest is in college, I am looking to get back in the game! Im hoping to find a club that not only has skeet and clays, but also a decent rifle range. Southboro sounds like it may fit the bill. Does Southboro have a 200yd range? I may take a ride over on Sunday and check it out. Thanks for any info, it is appreciated

Jeff

Took my son to the club yesterday to check it out and we both are hooked. Application is in. It is exactly the kind of first time exposure I want my son to have. Everyone was super friendly and the club and grounds are awesome!

Very glad I decided to go check it out.

Thank you MisterHappy for taking a few minutes away from the shoot to talk to me and Steven. He talked about your son shooting(all day long) and how he can not wait to be strong enough to hold his own youth shotgun.

I met a few other members also, but unless someone tells me their name 1000 times I will never remember them.[thinking]

Thanks again!

Kid, Does Southboro have any plans for increasing the rifle range past 100 yds? Weather dependent, I may take a run over there tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks
Jeff

Took my son to the club yesterday to check it out and we both are hooked. Application is in. It is exactly the kind of first time exposure I want my son to have. Everyone was super friendly and the club and grounds are awesome!

Very glad I decided to go check it out.

Thank you MisterHappy for taking a few minutes away from the shoot to talk to me and Steven. He talked about your son shooting(all day long) and how he can not wait to be strong enough to hold his own youth shotgun.

I met a few other members also, but unless someone tells me their name 1000 times I will never remember them.[thinking]

Thanks again!

I think we spoke yesterday at the trap range. Did you tell your son to get a few dollars from grampa?

Great time at the hangover shoot but I don't think there were too many hangovers. The scores were too high.

Kid, Does Southboro have any plans for increasing the rifle range past 100 yds? Weather dependent, I may take a run over there tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks
Jeff

Unfortunately there is not. The range was actually reduced from 200 yards when it was redesignd and rebuilt a year or so ago

Membership in My Future?

Hey everyone,

I've been popping on and off the site for a couple years now and am finally in a position that I would like to join a club and expand my knowledge on firearms and shooting etc. And it just so happens that Southborough R&G is only about 5 miles from home! Based on everything that is being said here, I am very interested in this club because of my "newbie" status. [smile] I have my carry license and a Walther P99c and would like to be able to shoot on a more regular basis and hopefully invest in a rifle and/or shotgun also and have a safe place to shoot responsibly.

It looks like the next meeting is the 19th. I will try to attend this meeting (work conflict on Tuesday nights) but would also like to visit the club prior to this for a tour and to meet some of the members there and members here.

I'm usually around most nights after 7 (gotta hit the gym right). Anyone interested in having a newbie in tow? Oh, for the general tour etc, is safety equipment needed/recommended? I have safety glasses with me at all times but would need to get my hearing protection.

Thanks for the great info!

Blackdeek,

You'll get a better view of the Club if you come during daylight....

We're having a Snowball Trap Shoot on Sunday, starting at 1:00. Even if you don't shoot Trap, feel free to come on out and scope the place out. If you're not shooting (there are Club guns that you can use, if you want to and don't have a shotgun) coming out about 3:00 would work better - we're likely to be busy with the Shoot till then, but there shoud lbe someone that can show you around the place.

The next monthly meeting is our Annual Meeting, and you're welcome to attend, though there is going to be a good bit of Club busineess to get through. Attending the meeting will give you a good idea bout the place, though....

maybe I overlooked a previous post already stating it, I live down the road from the club and have been considering joining one for the past year or so. I was wondering what the annual dues might be, as I want to make sure it fits into the budget. Me and my father in law have thrown around the idea a few times looking into it, but it was kinda put on the back burner because I was waiting on the funds to purchase my first personal firearm.(was active duty army 4yrs, reserve 1yr, so Ive had plenty of firearms while enlisted)...I would love to take a tour of the place sometime, just would like to know what I would be looking at financially so if I really like the place, I dont get my hopes up and then not be able to afford to join!...thanks for everyones help ahead of time,

Luke

EDIT: I just saw on an older post a link to the club....2010 dues $90....question answered!...I think that can be budgeted in!....now I just need to take a look at the grounds sometime soon if there is a member that wouldnt mind taking the time to show me around...Im available after 4pm weekdays. Thanks

Last edited:
maybe I overlooked a previous post already stating it, I live down the road from the club and have been considering joining one for the past year or so. I was wondering what the annual dues might be, as I want to make sure it fits into the budget. Me and my father in law have thrown around the idea a few times looking into it, but it was kinda put on the back burner because I was waiting on the funds to purchase my first personal firearm.(was active duty army 4yrs, reserve 1yr, so Ive had plenty of firearms while enlisted)...I would love to take a tour of the place sometime, just would like to know what I would be looking at financially so if I really like the place, I dont get my hopes up and then not be able to afford to join!...thanks for everyones help ahead of time,

Luke

EDIT: I just saw on an older post a link to the club....2010 dues $90....question answered!...I think that can be budgeted in!....now I just need to take a look at the grounds sometime soon if there is a member that wouldnt mind taking the time to show me around...Im available after 4pm weekdays. Thanks

I think its more than that, close to $300. $90 for dues, one time $100 initiation fee, and $100 which you get back If you put in (I am guessing). Please correct me if I am wrong.

The dues work this way:

$90 for the year
$200 Initiation fee, total of $290 up front. Once you've come to three monthly meetings and done two work parties, you get $100 back.
The meetings are a good way to meet some other club members, and the work parties are not digging latrines - last year, one was stuffing envelopes! If you have any questions about SRGC, please feel free to PM me back.

Hey I'm revisiting this thread. I never made it to the club way back when I first posted up. I seriously need to join a club that has an indoor range so I wanted to come and check this place out. Was curious if anyone would be around this Saturday that wouldn't mind giving me a tour.

I think we spoke yesterday at the trap range. Did you tell your son to get a few dollars from grampa?

Great time at the hangover shoot but I don't think there were too many hangovers. The scores were too high.

Sorry for the late reply...That was not me. I think we did speak though. I was the tall handsome guy.[laugh]

I'm planning on joining tonight. The meeting starts at 7:30, right? I was going to bring a friend as well, he does not have his LTC yet, is it a requirement to join? He put his application for LTC in today, but would like to join a club as well. Also, I only have 1 member reference, will this be an issue?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

I don't believe that having your LTC is an issue, as I applied for my membership to SRG before I had mine in hand. Also, it's doubtful that only have 1 member reference will be an issue. There are a lot of great folks at these meetings; talk to a few when you get the chance and I'm sure someone will be more than happy to sign! Also, I believe there is a venison stew being served starting at 6 or 630p, so if you have the time/inclination, definitely stop by in time for that!

Regards,
Matt

Tim,

I don't believe that having your LTC is an issue, as I applied for my membership to SRG before I had mine in hand. Also, it's doubtful that only have 1 member reference will be an issue. There are a lot of great folks at these meetings; talk to a few when you get the chance and I'm sure someone will be more than happy to sign! Also, I believe there is a venison stew being served starting at 6 or 630p, so if you have the time/inclination, definitely stop by in time for that!

Regards,
Matt
Thanks Matt. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it in time for some stew, but I'm going to try to get there by 7pm.

i missed last nights meeting, it's good to see NES members joining SRG...there are several of us that are members there (I can think of at least 6 off the top of my head) misterhappy is the head of the trap committee, hope to see you guys at the top of the hill when Thursday trap starts back up.

i missed last nights meeting, it's good to see NES members joining SRG...there are several of us that are members there (I can think of at least 6 off the top of my head) misterhappy is the head of the trap committee, hope to see you guys at the top of the hill when Thursday trap starts back up.

I 2nd the good seeing NES members joining SRG! Hope to see you guys around the club!

Great meeting last night with a great group of guys and a huge turn out. I feel right at home. Can not wait till next month.
Same here, I went last night with a friend, we both turned in our applications. Great group of people down there I'm glad that I joined.

I'm a member there - I haven't shot there in a number of years. I kind of got out of it and hope to get back into it a bit as time allows. I know they fixed up the rifle range not too long ago. It has been a while since I attended one of the SB R&G club mtgs & other gatherings.

I use to go early Saturday mornings and use to run into only a few guys I would recognize: father & his son who shot with lead cast bullets (iron sights on silhouettes). I use to shoot bows, tuned spring air rifles,rimfire, some centerfires & handguns. I haven't hunted in many years & hope to get back into that. Use to go for squirrels, deer, ducks & varmits. Needless to say I'm a bit rusty & out of practice.

I didn't know any one at the club when I first joined over 17 yrs ago. What I did was take a hunter safety course (needed it for CT anyway) and had the instructors sign for me. The instructors were S R&G members & they got to know me over the time of the course. It helps to just show up at the meetings just so people remember your face. Lots of guys use to just hang out inside the club house in the afternoons & nights.

Next time you guys head over drop me a line. :)

I just got back home from there little while ago. I liked what I saw and thought the club was one of the better ones in the area. I've decided t join it! Finally the club searching is over!

Back
Top Bottom