Speedloaders

I have one old school one, and with my big hands and small revolver I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing during a reload.

I haven't seen these anywhere... I'm thinking that their effectiveness will depend on how well they hold the cartridges in a pocket or pouch...

On the other hand, if they only hold the cartridges loosely, they may be a good tool for shooting competitions using revolvers, as there is less to fiddle with...

I had a set in, I think, .44, and they seemed okay. Never really worked them as hard as I worked other traditional models tho.

I don't carry extra ammo when I carry so it would be more for the range. But that doesn't mean I will never carry extra ammo in the future.

I don't carry extra ammo when I carry so it would be more for the range.
With all due respect, you have your priorities backwards. Do not fall for the rubric that "if you can't get it done in five, you shouldn't be there anyway".

Anyone who carries a revolver for self defense without extra ammo needs to change his ways ASAP. The same applies to autoloaders but for different reasons.

I practice drawing, and firing accurately. Good or bad, 5 in the cylinder sure beats not having anything.

I practice drawing, and firing accurately. Good or bad, 5 in the cylinder sure beats not having anything.

WTF?

Is this your rationalization for nor dropping a speedloader with five more rounds in your pocket?

And when did I even insinuate that you should go empty handed unless you carry my way?

Do whatever you want. It's your ass if you are wrong.

These speedloaders, like anything else, have their pluses and minuses. I have two wheel guns that I have purchased these for; a Ruger SP101 & a Taurus 608.
The positives for the SP101: I can consistently load faster with these than with the HKS (I would say that this positive outweighs any other consideration!). The negatives; you need to use a pouch, if you just throw them in your pocket the bullets will not stay straight or may even come out of the speedloader all together. Now if you don't mind one more accessory sitting on your belt, then these, with practice, would be your best choice. The other is that with much use, they become worn and will need to be replaced, however since they cost half as much as an HKS, they are not as expensive to replace.
The negatives for the 608: Like the 5-shot version, you need a pouch and the only other option out there is moon clips which you would also need a pouch for, but moon clips are faster and cheaper (though they may have to be replaced sooner). With moon clips, all eight rounds are going to make it into the cylinder, with the maxfires the best I can consistently do is to get 6 in while the last two pop out as I peel away the loader. The positives; well six is better than zero!

http://www.snubtraining.com

I second the motion on Michael's site. Took his Secrets of the Concealed Snub & Mastering the Concealed Snub courses a few years back down here in Bridgeport, CT and it was the best money I have ever spent regarding my firearms training. I seem to remember that Michael liked best the speedstrips like these from Bianchi. They don't need a pouch and with practice can load a snubby as fast as speedloader. My typical carry for my SP101 is in a fanny pack with the gun in the back compartment while in the front compartment is my DL, CCW, debit cards/cash, and two Bianchi speed strips.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=580

I received the Maxfires yesterday. I played around with then for about 20 minutes and will say that they are fast and a lot easier for my large hands to manipulate than a traditional speed loader. I need to find a pouch for them and try that out.
I am interested in the Speed strips. Is there any video out there of them being used

CJ, what region of the state are you in? I use the Bianchi speed strips... you're more than welcome to mess around with them... I'll be in your state tomorrow...

Thanks Polibious. I understand you get what you pay for, but $50 pouch for a $15 speedloader isn't in the budget right now.

CJ, what region of the state are you in? I use the Bianchi speed strips... you're more than welcome to mess around with them... I'll be in your state tomorrow...

Geographically I'm near where the CT River meets Long Island Sound.

I think safariland are the way to go. I use comp3s for competition. I need to pick up some comp 1s for my j-frame. Also, speed strips carry really easy. I think once you go to the bulk of a speedloader, go with safariland. I don't like the HKS that I have. It rattles in the pocket, and the knob never releases exactly when you want.

Thanks Polibious. I understand you get what you pay for, but $50 pouch for a $15 speedloader isn't in the budget right now.

I understand (believe me), they are not in my budget either, which is why I haven't bought them. I searched for some pouches but couldn't find a company that stated compatability with maxfire (maybe I didn't search hard enough).

Good luck and PM me if you find a pouch your happy with.

Back
Top Bottom