Steyr-Hahn M1912: German Police Conversion

Following the March 1938 German annexation of Austria (Anschluss), a number of Steyr-Hahn M1912 pistols were converted from 9mm Steyr (9X23) to 9mm parabellum (9X19) in order to supplement sidearm inventories and to standardize calibers for the Axis Powers Police. The numbers '08' were stamped on the left side of the slide in order to quickly identify the caliber as the same for the P.08 Luger. The Eagle over L German Police acceptance was stamped on the right side slide.

VZw85YWl.jpg

SkTCBszl.jpg

DiGwJv3l.jpg

cM20Whgl.jpg

While it is known that the newly refinished boxed-magazine and stripper clip-fed designed pistols were issued to the Police, there are conflicting reports of the total number of conversions and the location at which the work was completed. Some sources cite as many as 62,300 units were contracted for conversion at Mauser Oberndorf, 1941 through 1944. Others indicate that the new barrels were manufactured at Steyr Arsenal in Austria, and as few as 12,000 to 14,000 produced. The 9X19 barrels, as well as the right side slides, were marked with the Eagle over N commercial nitro proof stamps. Barrels were stamped to match the numbers on the pistol frames and slides.

uxjrGQZl.jpg

OacMoD1l.jpg

kpRHnfXl.jpg

I won't offer an opinion as to where or how many were converted, but can only offer the observation that these examples seldomly surface - a possible indication that far fewer than 60,000 were made or survived the war. Though not rare, they could be classified as scarce, today.

Following the rework, the pistols were issued to police forces in both Germany and Austria. My particular pistol displays marks for the possibility of at least three issued purposes. It was originally built at Steyr in 1919 with the K-arsenal identification stamps on many parts, but appears to be missing the usual Austrian Army acceptance mark of Wn-Eagle-19 on the right trigger guard. Instead, the initials of 'LGK. ST.' are found on the lanyard loop (rack/gun number 259 on opposite side), indicating initial use by Landes Gendarmerie Kommando (Stiermark), which was still a rural police/home guard unit in post-WWI Austria. Then it was accepted to the Austrian Military Administration (Heeresverwaltung) in 1930, as shown by the HV-Eagle-30 on the right trigger guard. The final issuance went to either the German or Austrian Police as previously described.

SkTCBszl.jpg

RtqPGrvl.jpg

gojYxLyl.jpg

vRPqi9jl.jpg

BuFoHJPl.jpg

cM20Whgl.jpg

The specimen is still in very good condition at near 85%, with no significant pitting or major flaws. There is typical edge wear and finish thinning, most notably on the grip straps. Bore is still shiny and sharp. Grips show some handling wear on the diamond points of the checkering, but no chips or cracks.

nXxIb3wl.jpg

wquNpAFl.jpg

0w09rQZl.jpg

UypcOjQl.jpg

wEdnjkbl.jpg

baNHSqJl.jpg

5XA2XSHl.jpg

HMVdGUpl.jpg

FCXfvrjl.jpg

5YpHyw2l.jpg

KViCyPUl.jpg

It came to my possession in a rather nice, vintage sheep skin carrying case of unknown maker (likely stateside?) - dated as 1938, and signed on the back side by Bruce Kim.

bruwllSl.jpg

nTexzJll.jpg

C5SROdJl.jpg

IEl3lUNl.jpg

1fBNY4Bl.jpg

As always, thanks for looking, folks.

Last edited:
I don't know why I like the looks of these Steyr's just reminds me of the cars from the 40s and 50s
Cool lines, bulky but sleek and a ugliness that's just cool

Back
Top Bottom