Stonehill College officers to be armed

uzi

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/s...n-arms-campus-security-officers-with-handguns

Stonehill College in Easton arms campus security officers with handguns
After ‘awful incidents’ on campuses, Stonehill police to carry handguns
advertisement
By Vicki-Ann Downing
GateHouse News Service
Posted Feb 26, 2009 @ 12:18 PM
EASTON —

For the first time in its history, Stonehill College will begin arming its police officers, one of several steps taken to improve campus security.

By mid-March, 19 full-time and four per-diem officers will begin carrying .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic handguns that use basic .40-caliber police-approved ammunition, said college spokesman Martin McGovern.

Both are comparable to what is used by campus and municipal police across the country, including in Easton, and were chosen because of their safety record, McGovern said.

In addition to arming police, the college has stepped up other security measures.

Ninety percent of students are able to receive automatic emergency text message alerts; a campus gatehouse is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week; outdoor lighting has been improved; and there is a card access system for the residence halls.

“Not just in light of Virginia Tech and the other awful incidents that have occurred on campuses, but you have to be realistic,” said McGovern. “We have a big, open campus, and our goal is to make it as safe as possible.”

Student reaction to the arming of police officers has been varied, said Hunter McCormick, a senior who is student body president.

While chatter on the Internet showed concern about the decision, many students didn’t realize the police were unarmed in the first place, McCormick said.

“I can understand and appreciate that though Stonehill is nestled in a little corner of Easton, at the same time we’re not isolated from outside concerns, and anything is possible,” McCormick said.

Since the attack at Virginia Tech in April 2007, colleges and universities across the country have debated the merits of arming campus police.

Stonehill President Mark T. Cregan noted that a report last year to the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education called for all campus police departments to be armed. Of the 55 schools surveyed, 31 had armed departments.

Easton Police Chief Thomas F. Kominsky said he favored Stonehill’s decision.

“We welcome that concept,” said Kominsky.

Kominsky said Stonehill officers often respond to calls with Easton police and have “backed us up on some high-risk calls” on Route 138 and Route 123 near the campus.

Some special police officers in Easton are also Stonehill officers. They have been armed while serving with Easton, but unarmed when working for Stonehill, he said.

At Bridgewater State College, which has 10,000 students and 1,000 faculty, Police Chief David Tillinghast said campus police have been armed since the force was formed in 1966.

Twenty-one full-time officers and 15 part-time reserve officers carry .40-caliber Glock handguns, Tillinghast said. Since Virginia Tech, all cruisers are equipped with shotguns and patrol rifles, along with non-lethal weapons that shoot beanbags.

“I’ve done a lot of consulting on this issue and I have to say it’s absolutely essential that all police be armed,” said Tillinghast. “I think this is a wise decision on the part of the Stonehill administration.”

Michael Graca, a spokesman for Wheaton College in Norton, said the school’s police are trained at the state police academy, but do not carry weapons.

“Our officers are not armed with guns,” said Graca. “There have been no discussions, and we have no plans to do so at this time ... We have every confidence that we have a well-trained and well-equipped officers corps to provide security
.”

Graca noted that Wheaton works closely with the Norton Police Department, headquartered less than a half-mile away.

McCormick said many Stonehill students were concerned about armed police in the residence halls.

In response, the college created a “community policing” program of unarmed officers to provide educational programming in the residence halls, building security and safety patrols.

When situations arise within dorms, the resident directors and resident assistants will continue to be the first responders. A campus officer will be called by them if needed, the college said.

The campus officers at Stonehill received state and municipal firearms training and underwent mandatory psychological testing, the college said.

Vicki-Ann Downing can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.wbz.com/pages/3925107.php?M

Stonehill College police get guns

mjw

Easton (WBZ Newsroom) -- Campus police officers at Stonehill College will begin carrying guns as part of the school's effort to improve security.

The 19 full-time and four part-time officers will be equipped with .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic handguns by mid-March, the Brockton Enterprise reported Thursday.

"Not just in light of Virginia Tech and the other awful incidents that have occurred on campuses, but you have to be realistic," said college spokesman Martin McGovern.

"We have a big, open campus, and our goal is to make it as safe as possible."

The Roman Catholic college, with about 2,500 students, is nestled in a quiet area of this Bristol County town, but is only about five miles from downtown Brockton, where crime is a significant concern.

Stonehill President Mark T. Cregan noted that a survey conducted last year among 55 colleges in Massachusetts showed that 31 have armed campus police officers, according to the Enterprise.

Easton itself isn't exactly a hotbed of criminal activity, but Stonehill is right next to Brockton. In fact I think parts of it are in Brockton. Either way, this is probably prudent. Of course, allowing licensed faculty, staff, and students to carry on campus would also be prudent, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen.

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education called for all campus police departments to be armed.
I'm shocked and awed- really? What has become of todays higher ed lefties? I'm sure they don't support armed students/profs but still it is an admission that at least someone on your side needs to be armed.

Fine with me. I just hope these guys are given weapons training so they're more then mall ninja's with guns.

And what the hell is this
basic .40-caliber police-approved ammunition
?

That the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education urges this, is no surprise to me. Their offices are in a restricted, high tech security building.

Easton itself isn't exactly a hotbed of criminal activity, but Stonehill is right next to Brockton. In fact I think parts of it are in Brockton. Either way, this is probably prudent. Of course, allowing licensed faculty, staff, and students to carry on campus would also be prudent, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen.

Easton gets a large percentage of it's overall crime due to it's proximity to Brockton.

I can't imagine working as a campus police officer if I couldn't carry. What's the freaking point? Otherwise you're pretty useless in a real emergency and would need to dial 911 like everyone else. Good for these guys and good for the Easton COP Kominsky for being supportive.

Glocks were chosen for their safety record? Is the AG aware of this?

Do you think she cares? BTW: I am sure that the AG doesn't get her hands dirty on the details of this topic. If the AGs office is like any other government agency, then there is a "non-political" staffer in charge of this. It is really he/she who is making all of these determinations as to what the regs are, how they are implemented etc. If we really want to see change, that is the person to win over.

Do you think she cares? BTW: I am sure that the AG doesn't get her hands dirty on the details of this topic. If the AGs office is like any other government agency, then there is a "non-political" staffer in charge of this. It is really he/she who is making all of these determinations as to what the regs are, how they are implemented etc. If we really want to see change, that is the person to win over.

Yes, I fully realize that. I was being ironic.

That the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education urges this, is no surprise to me. Their offices are in a restricted, high tech security building.

Really???

I was in that building (Medford, IIRC) a year or two ago. Nothing stood out that made it very secure. They may have had a receptionist with a buzzer for the glass door, but that certainly wouldn't stop anyone determined to do harm.

Never confuse "window dressing" with real security . . . that's TSA's job!
[rolleyes]

I think that Easton gets a larger percentage of its crime due to the spill over effect from Abington.

I find it odd that supposedly more bodies are on patrol in Abington than Brockton on some nights.

Seriously, Abington has much higher crime in terms of burglaries than the other surrounding communities of Avon, Easton, east bridgewater, etc. They arrested some MS-13 fellow in Abington, had several high-profile rape cases, and have a large drug problem.

A lot of crime is happening around here. Much of it seems drug-fueled. I swear that downtown Brockton is sedate in comparison to to some of the outskirts and neighborhoods in Easton, Abington, etc.

Last edited:
its about time...stonehill shoulda stopped using flashlight police along time ago...when i was there there was probably at least 1 reported "rape" per weekend and countless thefts...and it wasnt students doing it to other students...it was the gorillas that scaled the walls and got passed security checkpoints

HAHAHA

When Coakley leaves office, will the regulations change?

Sure, the same way they changed when she took office! [rolleyes]

Those regs were written by Harshbarger, and have survived Reilly and Coakley . . . and they will survive her successor, ad nauseum.

Letting the cops carry on campus is not nearly enough. Not at all.

If there is a violent situation do any of you honestly think that the cops will magically appear out of nowhere and stop the violence before it starts?

Um...no. It ain't gonna happen. At best they will respond within a few minutes but by that point there will be dead and wounded people if it's a shooter like at Virginia Tech.

Conceal carry is necessary on campuses. There is no other way to try to insure that a violent predator is stopped before he/she gets too far in wounding or killing people.

+1, I agree with you 100%.

Armed campus police is a slight step up, but armed cops on campus at Virginia Tech, Columbine, etc. didn't stop the shootings soon enough.

Even having teachers and students allowed to legally carry won't stop all school shootings, because people who actually carry are a small percentage of the population.

All it means is that people will have the freedom to have a legal chance at survival if something horrific happens in their classroom.

Back
Top Bottom