Strange Quail

Went out to a new location with heavy pressure and stocked quail. First 5 minutes in, I stumbled upon a quail just sitting out in the open strangely. Thought it was dead at first, but then noticed it’s head moving. I picked it up and it was certainly alive but very docile.

I assumed it was wounded, but it’s legs were in tact so I was confused why it didn’t run.

I killed it and bagged it up and threw it in my cooler and went out hunting the rest of the day. I’m on my way back and I’m pondering whether to eat this thing.

I didn’t see any visible shot damage, but I’ll be checking for more when I pluck it. One thing I can say for sure is that when I removed its head, it’s legs kicked pretty healthily for a solid 20-30 seconds. Suggesting the animals nervous system was in tact.

Im unsure because I’ve never hunted quail, but I want to put this tasty little bird on the dinner table if it’s not risky business. Thoughts ?

i had a similar experience but with a pheasant many years ago. i was at a state stocked management area. he was just sitting on the ground almost like he thought i couldn't see him if he didn't move. i walked over and nudged him with my foot...nothing. i won't shoot a bird on the ground like that so i just walked away. someone did come up the path a few minutes after me and blew him to pieces. i saw what was left when i walked past on my way out. a waste really. just feathers, blood and ground flesh all over the ground. a shame.

i had a similar experience but with a pheasant many years ago. i was at a state stocked management area. he was just sitting on the ground almost like he thought i couldn't see him if he didn't move. i walked over and nudged him with my foot...nothing. i won't shoot a bird on the ground like that so i just walked away. someone did come up the path a few minutes after me and blew him to pieces. i saw what was left when i walked past on my way out. a waste really. just feathers, blood and ground flesh all over the ground. a shame.
This is terrible. I wouldn’t have killed the animal just to make a mess. I thought I was just finishing the job for another hunter who failed to retrieve. Now I’m not so sure.

my issue with the pheasant was someone just wasted him for no reason. nothing left to put in the bag. i'm sure your quail will be fine to eat, birds do that hide in plain sight thing sometimes.
But to the point where I was able to pick her up? It just seems odd to me. No running, no flushing. I stood over her for at least a few minutes before deciding to grab her. Why not run?

Went out to a new location with heavy pressure and stocked quail. First 5 minutes in, I stumbled upon a quail just sitting out in the open strangely. Thought it was dead at first, but then noticed it’s head moving. I picked it up and it was certainly alive but very docile.

I assumed it was wounded, but it’s legs were in tact so I was confused why it didn’t run.

I killed it and bagged it up and threw it in my cooler and went out hunting the rest of the day. I’m on my way back and I’m pondering whether to eat this thing.

I didn’t see any visible shot damage, but I’ll be checking for more when I pluck it. One thing I can say for sure is that when I removed its head, it’s legs kicked pretty healthily for a solid 20-30 seconds. Suggesting the animals nervous system was in tact.

Im unsure because I’ve never hunted quail, but I want to put this tasty little bird on the dinner table if it’s not risky business. Thoughts ?

Many years ago I shot a mallard, plucked him, and ate him for dinner and I never found a pellet or a pellet hole in him and I looked him over very thoroughly. As long as the liver and lungs look fine I wouldn’t worry about it.

Bob

I've seen some very "conditioned" quail at WMAs in the past. Meaning conditioned to people & not afraid.
They won't fly, just run a little, some hold still and you step quickly at them and nothing, they just look at you. I never tried picking one up, don't think my buddies have either, not sure I ever had that kind of chance. You could practically scoot them into the air with your foot.
All that being without a dog. Dogs will get them really running or in the air.
Some stocked birds act really strange.
However, that bird you got may have had as little 1 pellet in it from someone else which slowed it down.
Quail don't hold much lead.

Check out the wings when you clean it, was there anything odd? Might have had a broken wing.

It's probably fine to eat.

Many years ago I shot a mallard, plucked him, and ate him for dinner and I never found a pellet or a pellet hole in him and I looked him over very thoroughly. As long as the liver and lungs look fine I wouldn’t worry about it.

Bob
This is good advice but how would I identify not find liver / lungs?

But to the point where I was able to pick her up? It just seems odd to me. No running, no flushing. I stood over her for at least a few minutes before deciding to grab her. Why not run?
Let be honest. These things are raised in pens. There's bound to be a few that are docile and identify people with food and are not scared of them.

Also letting them out of the box, there are bound to be a few that take a whack in the head, from either flying the first time and landing bad, or, getting pecked in the head in the box. Either way the bird can be totally retarded and brain bruised from stocking.

I've seen so many of these stupid birds over the years i don't even question it. Usually if the thing won't fly from me trying to kick it with the dog on point. I just tell the dog to grab it and give it to me, or I grab it myself and kill it. Otherwise some idiot will blast it on the ground, or a hawk will get it and peck its breasts out while its alive.

would love to get into pheasant hunting. Anyone want to teach me the way?
Sounds like many members here have a depth of knowledge. We need a hunting knowledge mega thread.

Here's the map of WMA's and areas stocked my MassWildlife

A dog helps but there's a lot pf people that are successful just walked around and kicking brush.
A 12G, 16G, or 20G shotgun will do fine.
#5 or #6 lead with a modified choke.

I

Back
Top Bottom