• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stripped Screw Head Help/Recommendations

Using a milling machine, you center the quill on the screw and drill right down through the center of it, using a size that just kisses the threads.
With the center gone, use a pick to remove the remaining threads.
Do not attempt with a drill press or portable drill...
Pretty sure the OP does not have a mill at home…

Cut a slot in it with a small ball but , carbide is better than high speed steel .70mm should do heat up with solder gun remove with straight screwdriver grind and file tip to fit the slot I do it all the time.

Using a milling machine, you center the quill on the screw and drill right down through the center of it, using a size that just kisses the threads.
With the center gone, use a pick to remove the remaining threads.
Do not attempt with a drill press or portable drill...
Too late for that party judging by the picture. 😂

So I ended up stripping one of the screws while trying to install an optic onto my handgun. I bought one of those screw extractor kits on Amazon to remove the screw but it didn’t help at all, in fact it made things much worse. All it did was end up boring a huge hole into the screw making it even harder to get the extractor bit to catch and unscrew. Would anyone have any tips or tricks on resolving this situation, or alternatively have any recommendations on places I can take this to in order to get this fixed? I’m in the Brighton area but willing to travel, hoping this is a cheap fix.
Lets try to be honest here for learning. Im only assuming so do not get upset.
You attempted to remove screws from the slide on a assembled gun
While golding said gun in one hand or between the knees
Been there done that and my lazy ass will still do it occasionally.
Because my vise is out in the shed or work. Anyway always find a way to mount in a vise.
Looks like Loctite was used? If your using anything but 222 loctite made for small fasteners. Your basically planning not to disassemble the parts again

Ok so if you dont have a small vise with soft jaws get one. Cheap enough. Oh you dont have a place for a 4” vise. BS bolt to a piece of 3/4 plywood and clamp to the counter. Remove clamps and toss vise in a corner somewhere

Ok my approach on this. I would spray what ever psychological support fluid on there. Place slide in the vise. Plug in the soldering iron and heat it up. Now take the tip and place it on the screw. Heat for a few minutes. Lightly tap the bit into the hole and try to remove.
Impact drivers are over kill for sm items. The tapping of the hammer is well enough.

This should do it.

Left hand drill bits work also but small ones tend to break when they grab.

Im curious if the slide is aluminum?

Now go buy a inch pound torque wrench and some 222 loctite
Or run with out loctite. Properly secured bolts generally do not come loose.

If its a steel screw and aluminum slide it could have galvanically corroded a bit or cross threaded.
Its not hard to f*** up these small threads by over tightening.
If its stripped in there
Pay the gun smith or put back together and run it.

Last edited:
Take it to a smith and be prepared to drive.

I know this gun means a lot to you.

Get a professional with the proper tools. 🛠️

Lets try to be honest here for learning. Im only assuming so do not get upset.
You attempted to remove screws from the slide on a assembled gun
While golding said gun in one hand or between the knees
Been there done that and my lazy ass will still do it occasionally.
Because my vise is out in the shed or work. Anyway always find a way to mount in a vise.
Looks like Loctite was used? If your using anything but 222 loctite made for small fasteners. Your basically planning not to disassemble the parts again

Ok so if you dont have a small vise with soft jaws get one. Cheap enough. Oh you dont have a place for a 4” vise. BS bolt to a piece of 3/4 plywood and clamp to the counter. Remove clamps and toss vise in a corner somewhere

Ok my approach on this. I would spray what ever psychological support fluid on there. Place slide in the vise. Plug in the soldering iron and heat it up. Now take the tip and place it on the screw. Heat for a few minutes. Lightly tap the bit into the hole and try to remove.
Impact drivers are over kill for sm items. The tapping of the hammer is well enough.

This should do it.

Left hand drill bits work also but small ones tend to break when they grab.

Im curious if the slide is aluminum?

Now go buy a inch pound torque wrench and some 222 loctite
Or run with out loctite. Properly secured bolts generally do not come loose.

If its a steel screw and aluminum slide it could have galvanically corroded a bit or cross threaded.
Its not hard to f*** up these small threads by over tightening.
If its stripped in there
Pay the gun smith or put back together and run it.
It was a steel slide with a healthy glob of red locktite 271 on a soft as shit stainless screw

It’s out now 🤣

Last edited:
Who the f*** puts red loctite on?
Stainless yeah lets put one of the easier galling materials on a small screw, lol
Glad it worked out
Stainless is generally not soft.
He bought the gun with the optic already installed , so who knows who the offender was

It was definitely Chinese stainless , a scribe poked right into it like it was plastic , can see why it stripped out so easily on him when he was trying to swap the optic

He bought the gun with the optic already installed , so who knows who the offender was

It was definitely Chinese stainless , a scribe poked right into it like it was plastic , can see why it stripped out so easily on him when he was trying to swap the optic
Damn kids cant leave shit alone , lol

Back
Top Bottom