Suggestions for .380 carry ammo?

So I got a Kel-tec P3AT a few months ago and I've slowly found that none of my other guns are leaving the safe much anymore, except for range trips. This gun is just way too easy and comfortable to carry in a pocket.

My question is for the folks who carry .380 what is your choice for ammo? So far I've been carrying Speer 90gr Gold Dot HP's. I shot 120 of these through the gun to make sure it would function properly (at the pumpkin shoot no less) and it worked fine. Since then I have been carrying these. Just wondering if I made the right choice and if not what are your suggestions for .380 cary ammo

Last edited:
Correction:

I have the regular Federal Hydrashocks Got a little carried away when i was typing. The only HST's I have are for my 9mm.

Last edited:
So I got a Kel-tec P3AT a few months ago and I've slowly found that none of my other guns are leaving the safe much anymore, except for range trips. This gun is just way to easy and comfortable to carry in a pocket.

My question is for the folks who carry .380 what is your choice for ammo? So far I've been carrying Speer 90gr Gold Dot HP's. I shot 120 of these through the gun to make sure it would function properly (at the pumpkin shoot no less) and it worked fine. Since then I have been carrying these. Just wondering if I made the right choice and if not what are your suggestions for .380 cary ammo

the P3at is loaded with golden sabers since they have a more rounded nose that feeds in it like fmj ammo. with the silvertips it would have a feeding problem here and there.

Last edited:
Been carrying Federal Hydroshocks. I too just put the P3AT in the pocket and go. It will be great come summer when a cover garment is not appropriate in the weather.

I carry Wolf Gold .380 JHP in my Makarov. The price is right and it has enough hitting power to feel confident carrying a lighter, more comfortable .380 instead of a bigger and heavier .45

Remington Golden Sabre 103gr. They are heavy and get excellent penetration for a .380

Ok so I've got a nice list of loads to try out in the next few weeks.

the clip for it makes carrying it a dream, definately worth the $10 or whatever it sells for

I was going to get the clip but was worried about carrying it with an uncovered trigger and a round in the chamber. I felt like I'd be susceptible to a ND when taking the gun in and out of my pocket. I ended up getting an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Ahhh, shooting to wound, eh?

j/k

[laugh]
I think my Kel-tec in my pocket will be more useful to me than my Beretta or Smith in the safe. I'm much more likely to carry since it's so light. I never find myself saying I won't carry because of what I'm wearing or how uncomfortable I am. Obviously my .40's would be much more effective but I'm much less likely to bring them along for a trip out the door.
But yeah I take a lot of ribbing for being 6'1" and carrying a tiny little pistol.[laugh]

So I got a Kel-tec P3AT a few months ago and I've slowly found that none of my other guns are leaving the safe much anymore, except for range trips. This gun is just way to easy and comfortable to carry in a pocket.

I'm not knocking your carry piece, but the reason I got rid of my .25 and .38 snub is because I found that I carried them almost exclusively. They got so comfortable that I'd never try carrying anything bigger, but now that they're gone the smallest gun I carry is a sub-compact .357 Glock. Roughly the same size (not exactly, I know), but I feel safer with more gun.

If I had a .380 though, I'd most likely stoke it with FMJ or Remington Golden Sabre.

MVC-014F.jpg

Honestly, for the .32 and .380 I'd stick with ball ammo. There really isn't enough energy to reliably open a hollowpoint and there is a penetration problem with the rounds. Practice those headshots.

I concur.

Oh, and practice your Nike-fu.

Honestly, for the .32 and .380 I'd stick with ball ammo. There really isn't enough energy to reliably open a hollowpoint and there is a penetration problem with the rounds. Practice those headshots.

This is why I carried ball ammo in my 9x18 Makarov before I got the Kel-Tec. I have seen good data on .380 hollow points expanding reliably though. I am eventually going to upgrade my carry gun to either a subcompact Glock/XD/M&P/PX4 type of pistol but until then the Kel-Tec has the job because as stated before it is reliable, accurate, and the easiest to carry gun that I own.

Either way, anyone up for some ballistics testing?

Back
Top Bottom