Suggestions for a carry pistol in 40S&W

I'm looking for a new carry gun in 40S&W any suggestions? Size is not really an issue however, I would like to avoid the sub-compacts.

I carry an XD in a Supertuck at about 9 o'clock (I'm lefty). Comfortable to carry and easy to conceal. The Glock, Sig, and XD are all quality firearms. The point of consideration for a carry gun is the holster. Find a good one and you'll be a happy man.

If a Glock is too bulky for you, try a Kahr K40. I bought one used and it's been 100% reliable.

On second thought, I see you live in Roxbury so maybe you would be better off with something in a higher capacity! ;0)

Sig P229, Glock 23 or XD are my favorite choices.

I love my P229, but personally find it a little bit heavy for concealed carry (YMMV of course). For a Sig maybe the P239, or even the newer P250 Compact model would be better as a CCW.

Oh, and to the OP. Ignore the comments about the 40S&W from some posters here, it's a fine caliber, just that some folks are a bit caliberist around here [smile].

Last edited:
If a Glock is too bulky for you, try a Kahr K40. I bought one used and it's been 100% reliable.

On second thought, I see you live in Roxbury so maybe you would be better off with something in a higher capacity! ;0)

This. I had been carrying a G22, switched to a K40 Covert, HUGE difference. I actually enjoy carrying the K40

I'll second the Sig 229, although it is a bit heavy. You can find some 13 round preban mags for $35ish shipped if you look hard. I'd carry it OWB unless a 1.5" thick piece of steel against your hip doesn't bother you.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have handled the Sig P229 and M&P and found them a little on the heavy side, but havent worn them so I really don't know how much of a problem, if any, it would be to carry either one. I have yet to take a look at the Kahr and Walther. Hopefully I'll have it narrowed down by the tax holiday.

I've carried an M&P 40 full size in a CTAC, as well as a G22, Sig 226, and 1911 full size all with no problems. Get a good belt and holster, you'll be able to carry anything.

Take a serious look at the M&P series for 40 S&W. Unlike the Glock, the engineers at S&W designed the gun around the 40 S&W first and ported it to the 9mm (unlike glock who went from 9mm to 40S&W). YMMW, but throw in an APEKS DCAEK kit and your pretty good to go.

Back
Top Bottom