Suggestions on .45 ACP?

I recently bought a 1911 (Ruger SR1911) and am looking for any suggestions on .45 ACP FMJ (brass case ideally) that is on the cheaper side.

Being in MA not really interested in going the shipped route due to going through finding a vendor that will ship to MA and then having to finagle being home at a time that I can sign for it when it comes.

I found some Perfecta .45 for ~$15.67 and I can look over online sources to get an idea of pricing ranges (~.35 /rnd) but where is a good shop for semi-consistently getting decent deals on .45? (North Shore or Southern NH)

If I had planned ahead I would have checked prices up at Shooters or Riley's but when I was up there in DEC I hadn't known I was going to be getting the 1911 in January so it didn't occur to me.

Also, any suggestions of brands to look for or stay away from would be appreciated.

Collectable arms and ammo in merrimack, nh always has great deals on ammo, 2 weeks ago when I was in I think they had a deal of 1000 rounds brass for $299.

I recently bought a 1911 (Ruger SR1911) and am looking for any suggestions on .45 ACP FMJ (brass case ideally) that is on the cheaper side.

Being in MA not really interested in going the shipped route due to going through finding a vendor that will ship to MA and then having to finagle being home at a time that I can sign for it when it comes.

I found some Perfecta .45 for ~$15.67 ...

Don't know all the quirks regarding MA, but your corner Wal-Mart should fill most of your needs for reasonably-priced .45 ACP factory fodder. I think that $15+ price is about the cheapest for 230gr FMJ...same at WMT, at least in CT.

Be mindful that when you buy a .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, etc, you will pay a bit more for ammo than with a .22 or 9mm.

Don't know all the quirks regarding MA, but your corner Wal-Mart should fill most of your needs for reasonably-priced .45 ACP factory fodder. I think that $15+ price is about the cheapest for 230gr FMJ...same at WMT, at least in CT.

Be mindful that when you buy a .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, etc, you will pay a bit more for ammo than with a .22 or 9mm.

Yeah Wal-mart (if they had the volume in Perfecta) would probably be fine, but for .45 acp atleast where I went most of the stuff was in the $20-23/50 rounds range.

That works out to about .42/rnd which when compared to the example Nickrph gave of .30/rnd at Collectable Arms and Ammo is really hard to swallow.

The cost of 9mm vs. .45 was a given and a consideration when I was debating the gun purchase but at this point I just need to pay the minimal going rate without having to stock up on total junk ammo.

A second vote for Walmart. I've never found better prices anywhere. Having said that, .45 is what got me into reloading. I can reload .45 with plated bullets for around $.20 a round. That's cheaper than I can buy brass 9mm, even at WM. Also, if you're not dug in about the brass casings, the Tula .45 is plenty accurate and feeds perfectly in my Remington R1. I can't imagine it would be a problem in your Ruger.

A second vote for Walmart. I've never found better prices anywhere. Having said that, .45 is what got me into reloading. I can reload .45 with plated bullets for around $.20 a round. That's cheaper than I can buy brass 9mm, even at WM. Also, if you're not dug in about the brass casings, the Tula .45 is plenty accurate and feeds perfectly in my Remington R1. I can't imagine it would be a problem in your Ruger.

Yeah, and it does, it was the second thing I tried in it (after WWB). I bought more of it today, but I wasn't the biggest fan of it vs the WWB. (It ran fine, hit the target fine, just being nitpicky)

I can't easily get into reloading at the moment, but I know it would be a quicker return reloading .45 than anything else I shoot, but I don't plan on shooting the 1911 enough to justify starting reloading just for that. Its mostly a concern about the cost of initial stocking up on .45 and not overpaying. I don't plan to go through 1000+ rounds regularly (or even over the course of a year) in .45 but just need to do the initial stocking so I don't get left in a situation where I can't find any when I need it.

Perfecta is also OK stuff. I've shot a few boxes of the cheap WM .357 when it was on sale for $17 a box. Relatively light for a .357 (compared to the Federal 158gr), and not terribly accurate, but it went bang. The cases are a bit thinner than the Federal too, but they reload fine. If you can find Herters it is another cheap brass brand (I found it at Cabelas) that I liked a little better than the perfecta.

Yeah, and it does, it was the second thing I tried in it (after WWB). I bought more of it today, but I wasn't the biggest fan of it vs the WWB. (It ran fine, hit the target fine, just being nitpicky)

I can't easily get into reloading at the moment, but I know it would be a quicker return reloading .45 than anything else I shoot, but I don't plan on shooting the 1911 enough to justify starting reloading just for that. Its mostly a concern about the cost of initial stocking up on .45 and not overpaying. I don't plan to go through 1000+ rounds regularly (or even over the course of a year) in .45 but just need to do the initial stocking so I don't get left in a situation where I can't find any when I need it.

I thought that too, until I shot that 1911, and it quicly became my favorite range gun. I even carry it occasionally. It's a laser beam! I will say that the WWB had stouter recoil than any of the cheaper brands that I've tried, and I kinda dig that :). The Federal 230gr ball is good stuff too, at about the same price as WWB. The Perfecta shoots like the Tula.

I thought that too, until I shot that 1911, and it quicly became my favorite range gun. I even carry it occasionally. It's a laser beam! I will say that the WWB had stouter recoil than any of the cheaper brands that I've tried, and I kinda dig that :). The Federal 230gr ball is good stuff too, at about the same price as WWB. The Perfecta shoots like the Tula.

Well step one is accruing and storing away. Though the crates in my closet were heavy for only being 2/3 full...

I feed my 45 acp handguns with winchester white box from walmart. 100 round value pack is $37. Perfecta can be had for just under $16 is you go that route be prepared to clean your gun after its some dirty burning powder but cycles fine. Carry ammo i go with cabelas and get remmy golden sabre 180 grain plus p

walmart sells federal aluminum for like $15 a box. it is excellent ammo IMO. well charged. makes nice boom. fun times.

the WWB stuff is OK but weak.

Start reloading if you really wanna save some coin. There is always tons of free once-fired brass lying around at my range from folks that don't reload.

Back
Top Bottom