Syracuse Gun Show - April 2009

I saw somewhere that there is a gun show in Syracuse in mid April. Not sure of the exact date.
Has anyone been to the this show in the past? Are there usually dealers there with reloading supplies - brass, primers, powder?

Syracuse? Isn't there a big problem with the NY gestapo bagging anyone from out of state with a gun? Not going to be much of a show, is it?

I went there a few years back and it was heaven. Huge show, loads of dealers, massive crowd etc. It's many times bigger than anything in New England. Very nice people too.

Syracuse is almost alway a great show. I go twice a year. Prices can be a little high(no doubt will be this spring), but if you look carefully you can always find good deals. Its usually at the NYS fairgrounds - Center of progress building.

I go every year, not that I have ever bought anything, but I've been going since high school (15 years now). It's HUGE. It's a good show.

It's at the State Fairgrounds, Center of Progress Building and it is enormous. I would say 10X Marlboro would not be an overstatement. NYS is hard on pistols, but I believe anyone with a clean record can still walk away with a long gun.

It's at the State Fairgrounds, Center of Progress Building and it is enormous. I would say 10X Marlboro would not be an overstatement. NYS is hard on pistols, but I believe anyone with a clean record can still walk away with a long gun.

The center of progress is my favorite stop at the state fair.
Second....... to the food court that is.[wink]

Howdy, I live in the Syracuse suburbs and am a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights. I've never bought a gun before but the current economic crisis has me worried and I am looking to make my first purchase inorder to protect my home and family incase things get really bad. I was just wondering if anyone in the Syracuse / CNY area could give me some advice regarding a few questions (if I'm posting in the wrong place feel free to point me to where I need to be)

I'm not all that interested in going through the whole mess of getting a license, so a shotgun or a rifle I could keep at home would do me just fine

1. Are there any good gun shops around or should I just wait to the show? As mentioned I don't know too much about firearms just yet and am looking for someplace that won't exploit my ignorance.

2. I'll probably end up going to the show, even if I purchase something locally beforehand, and was just wondering what I should bring? How much cash for a beginner? Any documents other than my license? How much research should I do before hand?

3. What about gun ranges in the area, since I live in the suburbs, practicing in my backyard is sorta a non-option. Was just wondering where people go to practice firing their rifle or shotgun (and if range availability should affect my firearm choice)?

Recommendations on a beginner's firearm would also be appreciated (as mentioned, mainly for home-defense, most likely I'd be the only one needing to use it and I'm a bigger guy but I do have family that might need to take it up in an emergency). But this question is not CNY specific and I'm finding plenty of info on these forums and elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

1. I would recommend going to Herb Phillipson's in Liverpool. Ask for Pat - he's very helpful. They have decent prices on most guns.

Then learn to shoot it - if you buy a rifle I recommend you sign up for the Appleseed in Throop April 18-19 - you will learn how to shoot it there. They will teach you safety and marksmenship. It's a lot cheaper (and easier to find) than an NRA class.

2. Hard to say - you never know what is going to be there. If it's your first gun show I would bring a couple hundred, but not with the intention of spending it - just to look around. Maybe become familiar with the pricing of Ammo.

3. B'ville Rod and Gun club; Dewitt Rod and Gun club; Liverpool Rod and Gun (L'pool has a reputation as being a bit snooty.) Those are the closest I can think of.

Then learn to shoot it - if you buy a rifle I recommend you sign up for the Appleseed in Throop April 18-19 - you will learn how to shoot it there. They will teach you safety and marksmenship. It's a lot cheaper (and easier to find) than an NRA class.
That Throop shoot is the shoot that I will be running; if you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me (click on my screen name and those options will pop up).

I will also have a couple of loaner Liberty Training Rifles there as well... just bring a box or two of Federal 550 bulk pack .22 from WalMart.

Re - guns in syracuse

First, I think you are wise to be concerned. Don't wait for someone to take care of you; take care of yourself.

1. Frank's Guns in Marcy (near Utica) is very good in price for Gun's & Ammo. It's a small shop, but he has a lot, esp. Remingtons. Call in advance if you're looking for something specific.

2. Do a ton of research. It stinks to buy something and find out it's not accurate / reliable / convenient for your purposes. If you can, find someone who has a gun you like and take it to the range. Buy them lunch if you have to; it's cheaper than buying the wrong gun. I think you just need ID with your current address (D. license).

3. I live further south, so I don't know about Syracuse in particular. Just google shooting ranges / gun clubs. Many gun clubs have open hours. Also, shooting is allowed in some areas of state land / forests. You can look up the environmental conservation officer for your area (listed on DEC of NY's website) and ask him/her.

4. For home defense, it would make the most sense to have a handgun or a shotgun. If you want your wife to use it, a handgun makes the most sense. However, shotguns are great in that they only need to be pointed in the approximate correct direction, assuming your wife is OK with using it. Also, make sure that your kids are well trained to know how to act around guns (i.e. drill in basic gun safety, they are not toys to show your friends, and are only for the range or emergencies).

I would also recommend if you are worried about the state of the economy - a hunting or other long-range accurate rifle (if Wegman's has no meat or it costs too much, bambi can provide). Also a .22 is great for practicing with because the ammo is dirt cheap. The guns themselves are in the $100 range as well. If you want a larger rifle (for long-range hunting), at least a .270, or perhaps a .308 (which you can get surplus military ammo to shoot with) or a .30-06 (make sure you shoot one of these before you buy; they have kick). Again, if the economy and further crashing is your worry, make sure every gun you buy is ubiquitous enough to find parts, even in the event of economic distress. Don't buy something super exotic if you are preparing for an economic picture that would require a gun for self defense.

Howdy, I live in the Syracuse suburbs and am a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights. I've never bought a gun before but the current economic crisis has me worried and I am looking to make my first purchase inorder to protect my home and family incase things get really bad. I was just wondering if anyone in the Syracuse / CNY area could give me some advice regarding a few questions (if I'm posting in the wrong place feel free to point me to where I need to be)

I'm not all that interested in going through the whole mess of getting a license, so a shotgun or a rifle I could keep at home would do me just fine

1. Are there any good gun shops around or should I just wait to the show? As mentioned I don't know too much about firearms just yet and am looking for someplace that won't exploit my ignorance.

2. I'll probably end up going to the show, even if I purchase something locally beforehand, and was just wondering what I should bring? How much cash for a beginner? Any documents other than my license? How much research should I do before hand?

3. What about gun ranges in the area, since I live in the suburbs, practicing in my backyard is sorta a non-option. Was just wondering where people go to practice firing their rifle or shotgun (and if range availability should affect my firearm choice)?

Recommendations on a beginner's firearm would also be appreciated (as mentioned, mainly for home-defense, most likely I'd be the only one needing to use it and I'm a bigger guy but I do have family that might need to take it up in an emergency). But this question is not CNY specific and I'm finding plenty of info on these forums and elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom