• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Handgun bill in Mass.

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
Jim Wallace fro GOAL has informed me that the "target handgun exemption" bill has a new number -H4552. This will exclude guns designed for copetitive shooting from the "drop test" in Mass. This is similar to the amendment Ca. made two years ago. It would make many 1911's that are made for competition legal for sale in Mass. once again. There is also a provision for single action revolvers used in "cowboy type shooting" Jim has not recieved the text of the bill which was released with favorable rating from public safety in Oct. I would encourage you to call you Rep. and ask for a yes vote on the bill. Greg Derr

When I wrote to my local people, they seemed to be in favor of this. But now that I have a number, I will write this again.

Derek, do you think that we can get some sort of political topic where we can try to get the people to show letters and the like.

I konw that some people have a hard time writing them because they don't really know what to say.

Just a thought. Maybe there's not a lot of interest for this, so it might not make a new topic. But we really need people to show thier letters.

Now, I really hope that this makes it through. Thanks Greg. As a Cowboy Shooter, it would be nice to be able to get pistols other than just Rugers. I would love to get my hands on an a realy Colt, or even a Clone. But there are so many good Single Action Revolvers out there...that it's a shame that we can't get them.

C-pher said:
When I wrote to my local people, they seemed to be in favor of this. But now that I have a number, I will write this again.

Derek, do you think that we can get some sort of political topic where we can try to get the people to show letters and the like.

I konw that some people have a hard time writing them because they don't really know what to say.

Just a thought. Maybe there's not a lot of interest for this, so it might not make a new topic. But we really need people to show thier letters.

Now, I really hope that this makes it through. Thanks Greg. As a Cowboy Shooter, it would be nice to be able to get pistols other than just Rugers. I would love to get my hands on an a realy Colt, or even a Clone. But there are so many good Single Action Revolvers out there...that it's a shame that we can't get them.
I'm all for C-Pher's idea.

JonJ said:
C-pher said:

I'm all for C-Pher's idea.

Me too! Good idea

The thing that would make this change particularly nice is that a lot of 1911's that are specifically designed for formal competition also make very nice carry guns. :D

Ken

"But what about the AGs list."

There is NO "AGs [sic] list" and never has been.

Further, the AG's regulations expressly exclude firearms designed for "formal target shooting competition."

The whole purpose of GOAL's bill is to have the language of the STATUTE match that of the REGULATIONS. All that was explained in detail in both The Outdoor Message and Lock, Stock & Barrel and probably the website also.

I believe this is it.

Standard disclaimer applies, I may be mistaken, but IIRC this was the language.

Protecting The Rights Of Target Shooters

Section 121 of Chapter 140, as appearing in the 2002 Official Edition, is hereby amended by inserting the word “trigger”, in line 107, the following:-

“Single Action Revolver”, any revolver manufactured as a single- action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than tree inches, and meets any of the following specifications:

(a) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(b) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 ½ inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(c) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 ½ inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and this currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

SECTION 2 Section 123 of Chapter 140 is hereby amended by adding the following paragraph after clause twenty-first:-

“Notwithstanding any general or special law or regulation to the contrary, clause Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of said section 123 of Chapter 140, shall not apply to:

(a) any firearm solely designed and sold specifically for formal target shooting competition
(b) any firearm lawfully owned or possessed under a license issued under said Chapter 140 on or before October 21, 1998
(c) any single action revolver

You are siting a the AG's Regs not LAW. Sorry- there is currently no exclusion for any gun in the law. Only firearms listed on the approved roster are saleable in Mass.

Back
Top Bottom