teaching/coaching jr. rilfe - positions and gear for dummies ie me

So, long story short myself and another club member are in charge of the Jr. rifle program at our club. Person that was running it has to clear up an issue, so 4-6 months before he can come back.

I was just another set of eyes, help clear jams and offer what little advice I have. really good group of kids(12-17 4g/5b when all there) and using a modified benchrest (indoor 50') a couple of them keep overlapping holes on most of the targets(damn youts' and their good eyes) in the 10ring.... we have shooting jackets and slings and posters of what the different positions look like. but seeing as this is the 1st jr program in quite some time, no one knows exactly how to use the slings.

So. anyone offer up a link to a good explanation w/pics on jacket/sling use... or can explain it to me like i'm in 4th grade. (firm believer in k.i.s.s. keep it simple, stupid). we had them try offhand standing last week and determined we will be doing 20 shots on 10 bulls every week to get them used to it. it was humbling to them with the weight of the rifles (anschutz .22's peep sights single shot) and shooting offhand with no support what so ever. so those slings/jackets should help a lot once we figure them out.

also anywhere i should look for "larger" sized shooting jackets, figure if i can do it myself it would help explain it to them.

I am an assistant for the Harvard junior rifle team. You are welcome to meet me at practice for our team to see how we do it. My first recommendation is to go to the NRA course for coaches. You can borrow my books as well if that would help before you got into a class.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. Just shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think we are affiliated with cmp...not sure though.. we do have a garand clinic every year that gets you the cert. so you can buy off the cmp site.

This is the first Jr rifle program at my club in about 15 years. so even the person myself and the other club member are filling in for had/have no real clue what we are doing... at least as far as the jackets/slings and a couple of positions go...

thx for the links/pms/etc... they are all helpful and helped my google-fu out also. seeing we have 9 youngins total (though last few weeks been fluctuating) i've come up with a game plan on how i would like to see these kids progress. and the small group size will help a lot.

we have 1 very good shooter, a couple of close to the 1st and the rest with more trigger time and work on the fundamentals should be there no time at all.
while having the others work on the fundamentals, i'l be getting the good shooter set up with a jacket and sling and go over what i've have read up on and my understanding of their use. I'll work with him and get his feedback, knowing except for offhand he can keep very tight groups, we can find what works and then have him help me figure out the best way to teach the others kids. I figure if the others see myself and one of their peers working everything out from scratch, they will be more receptive to the coaching.

What style shooting are you teaching (e.g. 3 position smallbore)? a sling isn't all that hard to setup, at least the way we used them when I was on the team back in college. get the loop around 3/4 of the way up the support arm bicep and tight but not tourniquet tight. have the shooter get in the prone position and hold the rifle naturally as if he's going to break a shot and move the stop to touch his hand, maybe a touch closer. adjust the length of the sling so that it's taut when attached to the stop and the shooter is in firing position. tweak things until the shooter is comfortable and the gun is pulled tight into his shoulder and stable.

hopefully I didn't bugger any of that up, it's been going on 20yrs since I had to use one...wow, that's kind of depressing [sad2]

The NRA has a coach's course that teaches the fundamentals. I know that one is held at Reading Rifle on a fairly regular basis (and it's an excellent course.)

As for coats - Creedmoor Sports, Champion's Choice, Champion Shooter Supply are all good places to look.

Not sure where you're located, but if you want to swing by Mystic on a Monday night me or Jeff could show you the basic stuff and get you pointed in the right direction. http://mysticvalleygunclub.com/junior-rifle/

this is going on over at Holyoke Revolver Club... all the gear is there (the NRA set them up good), shooting coats, rifles, gloves, heavy poster boards showing the diff. shooting positions, sight aliments etc....

working 3rd shift, getting around to other clubs is not in my future for now. this is the 1st time in about 15 years this program has run at HRC, the kids understand that. and it is a learning process for all

Jason and Jeff,

AWESOME!!!!!

Some of those boys look big enough to get started on service rifle this year....

Yep, we've been putting growth hormones in their water bottles. [grin]

Jason and Jeff,

AWESOME!!!!!

Some of those boys look big enough to get started on service rifle this year....

thats the hope george. one is REALLY chomping at the bit to get into it, but he's still a tad small (he's overdue for a growth spurt though). once he can handle it, you'll see him on the line for sure.

Back
Top Bottom