The Departed...Flinching

Just watched The Departed. (I know, where the hell have I been?).

The scene at the Trooper funeral jumped out at me. It is when they are firing the ceremonial shots. They are showing Matt Damon, Baldwin, and a bunch of others in the frame during one of the shots. They ALL flinch pretty good at the sound of the guns. Shoulders jump up and everything.

I may be wrong, but I assume most people who are around guns, at ranges, shooting, etc. stop flinching at some point. I still do once in a while but I don't get to shoot very much.

Am I wrong, is it just a reaction built in or do you become accustomed?

I realize they are all actors, probably with little firearms experience, and hence the flinching. But, it jumped out at me as one of those inauthentic scenes. They should have recut it or something.

If I'm not expecting it... I'll jump. I think it's completely normal. If you knew someone that you could light off m80s in front of without them knowing it and they didn't get a little jumpy I'd be surprised.

Blanks are not really all that loud but If I'm at the range and I forget to put my plugs or muffs on then yes I flinch. Because it hurts my ears.

B

If I'm not expecting it... I'll jump.

+1

Happened to me just last weekend. I was talking to a guy at the club while setting up my smallbore stuff on the ground. I did not have plugs in my ears and some dude four lanes over let loose with 22 Mag (they are surprisingly loud). I jumped out of my skin because I wasn't ready for it.

OTOH, you can empty a linked ammo can through a 240 without me batting an eye if I am aware of what's going on.

Guess I didn't consider PLUGS. Of course we'd be much more susceptible without ear protection. Last time I shot with a group I felt like I was flinching while the second group was on the line (not necessarily paying attention) and noone else was. Since then and the last few trips to the range I've paid attention to it and it gets me less and less each time. Getting startled is a different thing I think.

To be authentic in the movie though, I don't think a group of seasoned MA State Troopers would flinch like that a ceremonial gun shots that they are staring right at and fully aware are happening. At least not ALL of them. I hate noticing crap like that in movies...

I've flinched at funerals where rifle salutes are given, it's natural. Anyone who says they won't/don't isn't telling the truth.

S. Kelly beat me to the punch. If I'm at a funeral for a Veteran, and they fire a salute, I tend to jump. I think it's the calm and peacefulness of the ceremony makes the firing break my train of thought, even when I see the honor guard shoulder their rifles.

I've flinched at funerals where rifle salutes are given, it's natural. Anyone who says they won't/don't isn't telling the truth.

I think it may also be the emotion. I have flinched noticeably when it's been a close friend.

I agree. I don't flinch during parades when they shoot guns or canons but Funerals always get me.

Back
Top Bottom