The Miltia from "Red Dawn at Lexington"

Repost of mine from calguns. Because the argument of what is the militia will most likely be coming up in Heller vs. DC, thought you might all like some reading on the subject.

I was surprised at the depth and breath of the militia back in 1773. It was bigger and more pervasive than I thought in colonial times.

This quote comes from the preface to the book Red Dawn at Lexington. It makes me wonder if the supreme court even has a clue as to how pervasive the militia was in that time and what it means to us as citizens. Basically I am more convinced that we should be training as citizens in the militia and the government shouldn't be interfering other than assigning officers and the like.

Louis Birnbaum (Author) said:
From the Preface in the book "Red Dawn at Lexington."

.... During the first 150 years of colonial experience, which spanned seven or eight generations, intermarriages between the original English colonists and the descendants of German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, French and Danish cultures created a distinct cultural mix that, by 1773, was only partially loyal to Britain in tradition and attitude.

From the inception of the English colonies in 1607, a continuous series of conflicts between England and France created a permanent state of warfare between English and French colonists. The latter were usually supported by their fierce Indian allies. Out of necessity, the predominantly British colonists created a military society in which every able-bodies male from age sixteen to sixty automatically became a member of the organized militia. He was required to furnish and care for his musket or, if he were fortunate enough to possess one, the new Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifle. Battling French and/or Indian encroachments of colonial settlements, the average American experienced years of service in the field as a combat soldier.

Parliament and King George III consistently failed to understand this simple truth. They did not realize they were dealing with and armed population. In the letters sent home to their families, British army officers recounted the details of their shocking discovery regarding the military preparedness in the northern colonies. particularly in Massachusetts. New England had been the major area of conflict with the French and Indians for nearly a century and a half, and most men were veterans of provincial regiments.

The new England colonies had created a prosperous economy in which employment was available for anyone who wanted a job. There was a tremendous shortage of labor, and free workers were highly paid. Thousands of indentured servants were able, upon receiving their freedom, to save enough to open their own shops or businesses and become prosperous artisans or farmers. Land was cheap and plentiful and produced abundant foodstuffs. Forests teemed with wild game, and rivers and inlets were alive with fish easily caught by the use of hand nets.

Given and abundant diet of wide variety, Americans grew taller, stronger, and healthier and they lived longer than their European counterparts. The birth rate was the highest in the world, and families of ten or twelve living children were not uncommon. In 1775 the population of Massachusetts alone was 349,094; in Connecticut it was 197,856. The letters and diaries of British soldiers are filled with descriptions of these large, well-built Americans and their clear, unblemished skin. The women of the colonies received special tribute from the British, who described their lithe, slim bodies, and beautiful complexions. When French troops arrived to aid the Americans late in the Revolutionary War, they delightedly described American women as the most beautiful in the world.

British officers throughout the war were hard-put to prevent wholesale desertions among their men. The life that could be theirs as deserters in America was so much better than they could hope for in England that thousands deserted to the Americans despite brutal punishments meted out to those who were caught.

It was a life of comparative freedom. Before 1765, the colonies had, in actual practice, lived without any serious interference of regulations from the mother country. The long distance from England discouraged attempts to control the colonists, so long as the products of the colonies continued to enrich British merchants. Royal governors sent to oversee the colonies discovered upon arrival that their pay depended upon decisions of local colonial legislatures, and they quickly found it expedient to accept the situation of local autonomy rather than jeopardize the regularity of their income.

It was only in 1765, when king and Parliament attempted to collect money in a new manner to help defray the immense cost of the recently ended Seven Years war, that difficulties arose. Instead of asking the legislatures to vote funds to England ad previously had been done, the combined power of the king and his ministers was used to pass a stamp tax that would be gathered by tax collectors not under the control of the colonial legislatures. Although the Stamp Acts were soon repealed in the face of violent colonial protest, the British decided to send additional troops to America to maintain a semblance of authority and to shift onto the colonies the burden of feeding some of the numerous regiments of the British army.

Despite occasional outbreaks of violence, including the so-called Boston Massacre, tensions gradually lessened, and by 1773 it appeared that the troubles in New England were over. Just at this time, the fatal decision was made by Parliament to revive the tax question as a means of saving the nearly bankrupt East India Company. This move may have been hastened by the fact that most Tory members owned shares in the huge import-export company. The colonial response to the British monopoly and tax on tea came in December 1773, when a horde of disguised militiamen of Boston and the surrounding towns destroyed Boston's allotment of tea in what came to be known ad the Boston Tea Party. The entire affair was organized by England's greatest enemy, Samuel Adams, one of a handful of colonists who dreamed of eventual independence from England.

The ministry's angry reaction was to close the Port of Boston and send additional regiments there to overawe the population and quell opposition. Shortly thereafter, a series of laws that the Americans called the Intolerable Acts abolished trial by jury, town meetings, and other privileges that Americans had enjoyed for a century and a half, privileges they thought of as the "the rights of Englishmen." The Intolerable Acts were followed by other laws that soon destroyed the economy of New England, largely by prohibiting American fishing rights on the Grand Banks in the north Atlantic. In a move certain to give the Southern colonies common cause with New England, Parliament surprisingly extended the same prohibitions to them.

Inevitably, thousands of unemployed sailors, fishermen, stevedores, shipbuilders, craftsmen, clerks, warehousemen, and wagon drivers were available for the Massachusetts militia. Gradually New England became and armed camp, with hundreds of militia companies drilling along village greens. British officers stationed in Boston watched the developments with growing apprehension, and they wrote of the burgeoning power and size of a New England army.

Back in London, the colonial militia was ridiculed as a bad joke. The British ministry apparently had forgotten the colonial contribution to victory in the French and Indian War. Americans had furnished nearly 100,000 troops during the war, many of whom were now ready to use again what they had learned. Hundreds of Americans had risen from the ranks to become officers, and some were recognized as superb combat officers by the British themselves. Such men as George Washington, Israel Putnam, William Prescott, Artemas Ward, William Heath, and John Stark represented many years of military experience. Also, a sense of military pride had developed among the officers and men during the successful conclusion of the French and Indian War, which ended in 1763. The science of supplying large numbers of men had been developed to a high degree by American military planners, and the strategy of eighteenth-century warfare had been refined under combat conditions to relate to American terrain and circumstances.

During the eighteenth century, battlefield differences between the trained soldiers of the king and American militiamen were not great. Modern weapons that give industrial nations of the twentieth century immense advantages, such as trucks, tanks, and planes were unknown, Consequently, military decisions depended on men carrying muskets into battle, with the occasional use of field cannon. If the British had any advantage, it was in the massed firepower created by close formations of highly disciplined men supported by the Royal Artillery.

It has been estimated that over 700,000 men of military age were available to the American forces during the Revolutionary War, most of them trained members of militia companies scattered throughout the colonies. Although most of those men never saw combat, they were available whenever needed. And in fact, two of the greatest American victories of the war, Bennington and Kings Mountain were won by quickly organized, local militia regiments. The British armies at Bennington and King's Mountain did not realize that there were any American forces nearby until the moment of attack....

Interesting read. I will have to put that book on my reading list.

The short answer to your thought about "should we be training as militia?" - is yes, we should be.

For multiple reasons. As your excerpt showed - the militia during the Revolutionary War were vital to helping defeat the British. If for no other reason than they supplied a ready made population of people already trained for the Continental Army.

Here in modern times there are multiple reasons to revive the militia - not the National Guard (which is controlled by the feds and is not a militia - but the real - citizen staffed militia.

One of the major reasons is the "war on terrorism". We have been hearing off and on since Sept 11th that more attacks will happen in this country. Well what would Sept 11th have turned out like if the people on those planes had been trained and had actually been part of an organized citizen militia? Would they have stood up faster than they did - knowing in their minds that it was up to them to prevent the attack? Instead of accepting their fates and hoping things would turn out ok - which is part of the indoctrination process we have all gone thru to keep us thinking the govt. will take care of everything?

The people on the plane that was brought down by it's passengers figured this out - but only when the heard the news about the other planes final destinations - then they took action. They acted as the militia would have and defended themselves.

Some of those who study these types of things say that what we are entering is a new age of warfare - where the militias are the only real effective countermeasure to terrorist attacks. For more info start reading here:

http://www.d-n-i.net

and especially read this article:
http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/pdf/fabius_maximus_militia-1.pdf

If you want to see what happens to people who put their trust in the govt to defend them against terrorist attacks - read the the book
Terror at Beslan:

http://www.amazon.com/Terror-Beslan-Russian-Tragedy-Americas/dp/0976775301

There is also that time tested reason - to keep our liberty. That one won't go over real well however with all of the sheeple we have in positions of power in this country now - they WANT to be told what to do by the govt.

The first step is to get trained - you can make an effort towards doing that by checking out the Appleseed Project:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on
Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
— Tench Coxe, 1788.

Calsdad, have you been to one of the Appleseed shoots around here? We may have met, if you have.

Ross

Unfortunately I haven't made it to one yet. I started out the year intending to - I bought myself an M1A, I got a few SA battle packs, but then I got involved in building a barn in the spring and over the summer and that consumed every waking moment I had when I was not at my job.

I have every intention of making it to one as soon as I can. I know the Monday night things were going on at Harvard - and there have been a couple of the longer events within driving distance too.

In the mean time you can count me as a supporter. There are a couple of people I drop hints to when I see them to try and convince them to attend too.

Calsdad, just so you know, Appleseed is alive and well in the Northeast.

We have 2 Appleseed Instructors, the Northeast Regional Coordinator and the Assistant Regional Coordinator all on this forum, and they've been here for some time, back before their involvement in Appleseed, by the way.

We've got several events coming up next year in the area, and we're starting of at the Harvard Gun Club the weekend of 19/20 April.

Your support for the ptrogram is much appreciated, especially your aggresiveness at bringing more folks out.

I actually heard about Appleseed over a year ago - and noticed how it picked up here on NES pretty quickly. Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to actually participate. Good do know that there are events coming in the spring - I hope to make it this time.

I was able to find this book through www.bn.com. They don't have it new but I found a LNIB copy at Avenue Victor Hugo Bookshop in Abington. Should be here within the week.

I just received this book and it is next on my reading list.

By a strange coincidence the book I am reading now is David Hackett Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride, another outstanding history about this period of our history.

Last edited:
Can anyone come to these or do you have to be a member and register in advance? Looks very interesting.
Greg, you can just walk in if you want. I recommend registering in advance, though (when we have the link set up; I'm not sure that the Harvard shoot is yet), just to make sure that you have a spot. It's looking like the Harvard shoot will be VERY popular!

Greg, you can just walk in if you want. I recommend registering in advance, though (when we have the link set up; I'm not sure that the Harvard shoot is yet), just to make sure that you have a spot. It's looking like the Harvard shoot will be VERY popular!

Definitely good to pre-register. You'll save a little money, and we'll have a better feel for how many will be there.

Harvard is going to be one to go to, for sure. There WILL be NESers running it, and folks, it doesn't get better than that.

Fred himself is planning on being there, unless another location requires him elsewhere, and we're planning to avoid that.

Harvard is going to be one to go to, for sure. There WILL be NESers running it, and folks, it doesn't get better than that.

I really should go to one of these. I could use the training.

Appleseed Shoot

Definitely good to pre-register. You'll save a little money, and we'll have a better feel for how many will be there.

Fred himself is planning on being there, unless another location requires him elsewhere, and we're planning to avoid that.
When is this taking place?

When is this taking place?

April 19th and 20th, at Harvard Gun Club, if we get approval from the club.

There's one the following weekend (26/27 April) at Proctor, VT, with a short Instructor Course before it.

There's another coming up in July at Jericho, VT. 600 yard range. We'll be shooting a "Full Course AQT" during the course of the weekend. That's 100/200/300/400 yards for score. Sunday afternoon, we'll be pushing out to 600 yards for familiarization and working on medium (some folks say long) distance skills.

Plus others in NY, hopefully CT, NH and ME. Maybe even RI.

Shoot

April 19th and 20th, at Harvard Gun Club, if we get approval from the club.

There's one the following weekend (26/27 April) at Proctor, VT, with a short Instructor Course before it.

There's another coming up in July at Jericho, VT. 600 yard range. We'll be shooting a "Full Course AQT" during the course of the weekend. That's 100/200/300/400 yards for score. Sunday afternoon, we'll be pushing out to 600 yards for familiarization and working on medium (some folks say long) distance skills.

Plus others in NY, hopefully CT, NH and ME. Maybe even RI.
Where do we go to pre-register?
Is the July shoot at Camp Ethan Allen?

Where do we go to pre-register?
Is the July shoot at Camp Ethan Allen?

The events might not be up for preregistration yet. Don't worry, they will be up before long.

It's not at Camp Ethan Allen (actually that's Fort Ethan Allen, and I work a mile from it), but rather, it's at Ethan Allen Firing Range, which is probably what you meant. Not a big deal, unless you do a web search.

The July event is going to be similar to what we did this October, but with more concentration on long range skills.

Ethen Allen

The events might not be up for preregistration yet. Don't worry, they will be up before long.

It's not at Camp Ethan Allen (actually that's Fort Ethan Allen, and I work a mile from it), but rather, it's at Ethan Allen Firing Range, which is probably what you meant. Not a big deal, unless you do a web search.

The July event is going to be similar to what we did this October, but with more concentration on long range skills.
When did it go from Camp to Fort? A Fort is an active duty base, a Camp is not. Last time I was there it was still a Army Reserve base, home of the Mountain Warfare School. I`ve spent a few weeks there. BNCOC, ANCOC and many training weekends.
I understand you run the Appleseed shoots in the area. I`m interested in the weekend at Harvard. Any info would be appreciated. I am am Infantry Platoon Sergeant in the Mass. National Guard.
Thanks.

RWL1955, as I understand it, we haven't gotten the final approval from Harvard yet. Rest assured, we WILL post it here. (I'm Nickle's assistant in the Appleseed Project, and I'm on here a LOT more than he is, so I'll make sure that NES knows about it!)

Ross

RWL1955, as I understand it, we haven't gotten the final approval from Harvard yet. Rest assured, we WILL post it here. (I'm Nickle's assistant in the Appleseed Project, and I'm on here a LOT more than he is, so I'll make sure that NES knows about it!)

Ross
Roger that. I`d like to attend. I`d like to bring my Privates. If only I could get the Armorer to let them take their weapons. It`s probably better training than they get all year.

Back
Top Bottom