The real meaning of Memorial Day

It is cool, I get to march with hubby and son Memorial day.[grin]

I'll always remember those that served before me, with me, and after me. Along with those that have paid the ultimate price.

Last edited:
Memorial Day always reminds of the living, and of those who in their living contributed to the the life I and others have today.

Memorial Day is for remembering those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Veterans Day is for those of us that have served.[wink]

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

General George S. Patton, Jr, in speech at the Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston Massachusetts, June 7, 1945. The text was reported in slightly different version the next day in stories in The New York Times and The Boston Herald. It seems that even then, The Boston Globe didn't consider the event or sentiments to be newsworthy.

Ken

+1 Ken and a very good quote from General Patton.

I want to thank all the veterans past and present for providing the freedoms that me and my family enjoy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and Semper Fidelis.

Same to you Derek.
We'll get some pictures up, but it was a really nice day. Glenn got his 1945 Willy's Jeep done and drove it in the parade today, and he was able to give a 91 year old WWII vet and a Korean War vet a ride in it in the parade.
Alan and I marched with the vets, and Alan was part of the color guard. It's a small town,but we have a nice turn out for our Memorial Day parade.

I'm in such a bad mood. The wife and I went to the town parade today, which was nice. But afterwards... Some vets gather around the War Memorial, to say a prayer and honor the fallen. And don't you think people in the audience could shut the f*&k up for 10 minutes? No, everyone's too busy talking about their coffee, or their bicycle, or whining at their kids... Why even go there and stand around, if you're not paying attention? And even if you don't give a sh*t about those who died so that you can lead your careless life, why ruin it for everyone else? I couldn't hear anything. We had to just leave. Makes me want to puke.

Why don't you know? Memorial Day doesn't have any thing to do with wars and military and veterans (living or dead) and any of that sort of nasty stuff; it's really a big celebration to mark the official start of summer. It's like a warm up for the day that's set aside to celebrate the peak of the summer season, the 4th of July.

I went out with both my kids and their families and had a fun time yesterday. Today I'm in the kind of pissy mood I get remembering 40 years ago, even without the help of a**h***s like these.

Ken

Derek: pm sent.

Ken: Yeah, that about sums it up. I don't think it'll make you feel any better, but that quote from Patton that you posted earlier in this thread really helped me get thru the day. Thanks.

General George S. Patton, Jr, in speech at the Copley Plaza Hotel, Boston Massachusetts, June 7, 1945. The text was reported in slightly different version the next day in stories in The New York Times and The Boston Herald. It seems that even then, The Boston Globe didn't consider the event or sentiments to be newsworthy.

Ken

Thank you! I like this very much, Ken.

Back
Top Bottom