TheBagoTruth

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
This little experiment of mine was a good-natured take-off on the website named The Box O Truth ( http://www.theboxotruth.com ). For those not familiar with the site, the gentleman who runs it has done some practical experiments with things like bullet penetration and the like in order to see what various calibers and bullets will do. It's purely a demonstration on a practical level and very interesting.

I was at the range the other day shooting my S&W 1911 SC. The Federal 230 gr HS grouped very well, and I was wondering how they would penetrate and expand. I had a bag of paper in the truck and decided to try a shot from 5 yards to see what would happen. The bag weighed about 5-7 pounds maybe and I saw no perceptable movement when I shot it. The bag did not fly backwards, nor did blood, guts, or confetti fly out the back.

The first picture shows the entry hole, a regular .45" diameter hole. No big surprise there.

The second picture shows the area where the bullet came to rest. It was about 3-3 1/2" in and tore the paper almost directly in line with the entry hole. This generated some random talk at the gun shop about using a ream of paper as a bullet-proof vest.

The third picture shows the bullet. The hollow point appears to be packed with paper and it did deform to a certain extent.

What does this prove? Not much other than if you are attacked by a bag of paper, a hollow point bullet may not be your best defense. My shooting time was cut short by a call to pick up a sick grandchild but the next time I go out I plan to try a round of 230 gr RNFMJ to see if that fares any better.

Bag1.jpg

Bag2.jpg

Bullet1.jpg

C-pher,

Thanks. I've always wanted to test things like this. I might be able to do your suggestion with a cardboard box, some paper, and the jug held in the middle. I'll see what i can do.

Is that the Daily Communist, er I mean, Boston Globe? If so, I deem your experiment a resounding success and suggest you try it again with a shotgun! [lol]

matt said:
Is that the Daily Communist, er I mean, Boston Globe? If so, I deem your experiment a resounding success and suggest you try it again with a shotgun! [lol]

Sorry, it's just the Springfield Republican. But, you have given me an idea....

I saw a special on PBS or something where these engineers were trying to come up with a solution for preventing hypersonic projectiles like micometeorites from damaging the International Space Station.
They had this huge vertical test cell where they were firing small projectiles at ludicrous speeds through this giant gas gun into various materials.
Of all the solutions with their various nano particles and super composite materials none of them could live up to the simplicity of a few thin 1/8" copper plates staggered by an inch or so between them...
after about 3 sheets this 15,000 mph projectile would just loose all of its energy. Somtimes high tech just isnt the best solution.
as is shown above by a simple stack of papers stopping a 230g hydroshock.
I love this stuff
layering has a direct correlation to dissipation of energy it would appear.

[twisted]

C-pher said:
FPrice....too bad that you're not my side of MA. I would love to spend some time and money doing these things with you.

Gee, I had a woman say that to me once.

Um, wait a minute. What she really said was that she wanted to spend her time spending my money.

Er, forget what i said above.

[oops]

I gots a 17" monitor that needs killin' 8)

Shootin paper is loads of fun, but sometimes you just need to shoot somthing that's gonna try and stop the round.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

FPrice said:
TonyD said:
You guys need a room? [wink]

C-pher, I done think we's bin dissed!

And worse, we's bin dissed by a Southerner!

[twisted]

I think that we have a problem. Being that he's in Georgia, that ain't the South. It may be below the Mason-Dixon line...as we say in New Orleans. Anything above Laplace, Louisiana is the North to us. :)

Which really isn't true because most of my family is in Louisville Kentucky or Memphis/Knoxville Tennessee...and they my friend, are as Southern as you get on both side of the spectrum.

My mom (Memphis) is more of a belle, and my aunt and uncle (Knoxville) are more country gun lovin', truck drivin', wiskey drinkin', blues listenin' UT Vols Lovin' types.

Hamar said:
Man...I like your family already!

Yea, the next time that they are all up here, I'll have to have some of you guys out.

And if anyone ever makes it to Memphis, let me know and you'll have to stop by my Mom's shop for Lunch.

And speaking of my Aunt and Uncle. My aunt likes to collect little frog figurines. But my Uncle says that for every new frog that she gets, he gets to buy a new gun.

So, every year for Christmas I buy her a little frog thing of some sort. It's pretty funny. Then he gets a new gun...and being that they don't have kids, it's a ploy for the future...you know. He needs to leave his guns to someone. [twisted]

Then you have my dads side. They are all from New York, Sicilian, and as Soprano's as you can get. It's a riot when the two sides see each other...

It's the biggest clash of culture shock that you can imagine. I love to sit back and let each figure out what the other is trying to say. Sometimes I think that neither can understand the others accents.

TonyD said:
My wifes sister and niece live in Memphis. If fact, they are headed here for Christmas as I type.

Tony, have them head over to my Mom's for lunch.

www.mantias.com

And tell them to tell her that her sisters husband knows her son...is that right? Anyway she's happy to talk to anyone that says that they know me and will set them up for food. Most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom