• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

There are two types of range officers.

Both my clubs do not require "range officers" to be present to use the range. Our range rules are posted on sign written in large bright red letters on the door that you enter through. We also have several cameras on every every range and if you break an egregious safety rule you will be expelled AS THE SIGN STATES.

sounds like the OP may have shown up to shoot a match at a neighboring club.
Nope, showed up at my club a few minutes early both times.

Not sure about that..... every private club I am a member of I have gate access to open up myself
Yup. But at ours, member's cards are time locked. ROs can get in any time.

Last edited:
Better club experience: you and some other member who happened to be early set your crap up on the line and a few targets and chat while sipping coffee until the allowed time happens and then just self police and shoot like adults.
^^ this. Our outdoor range opens at 9:00AM. It's not uncommon to see targets posted and 2 or 3 guys drinking coffee and talking waiting for 9:00. The guns are bagged and the range lights are on. It's not rocket science.

One of the many reasons I like Marlboro F&G is due to the fact that members are left to their own common sense and courtesy.
No range officers. No yelling, chest thumping. And in my opinion, most shooters are very conservative and sometimes can be over cautious when it comes to people going down range, handling guns at the bench and the like. Lot's of communication, thumbs up, all clear, etc, etc....Never felt unsafe the least bit.

There are 2 kinds of Range Officers.... NRA & CMP ;)

Better club experience: you and some other member who happened to be early set your crap up on the line and a few targets and chat while sipping coffee until the allowed time happens and then just self police and shoot like adults.
Sounds like my club.

Oh, and don't shoot the steel targets with AP ammo. Apparently someone did that, thus yesterday morning's reminder blasted out that anyone caught doing that will be treated as a vandal.

I belong to two clubs.

One club has it so you can become what they call an “RO”. It’s basically a range safety course but they give you an RO card. They prefer you take the course as they want all the members to be an RO. That way you can use the ranges yourself.

If you are not an RO you can’t use the range if an RO is not there. But you can use the range if an RO is there but you have to leave when the RO does.

There is no scheduled RO duty.

The other club you just take the range safety course and you can use the ranges.
That sucks.

Tried this at Ayer gun club years ago before I left that club. They have a dirt toad down to the range. Being a Massachusetts club.... you can't shoot before noon on Sundays. I went down the road at about 11am.....walked out and set up a bunch of targets......was with my son. Sitting around waiting for noon to go hot sipping coffee. Decided I had to use the can so we drive back up to the clubhouse.....it's only like 1120am at this point. I'm on the throne taking a crap and hear mag dumps going on down at the range. I'm like shit....I'm signed in at 11am they are gonna thing that's me! I pinch it off and head back down the road to find 2 guys mag dumping......and shooting at my targets that I put out. It was clear those targets were freshly placed out......my range bag was on the table along with my thermos of coffee....and if they had bothered to obey the rules would have signed in and seen my name on the list.

Needless to say......we had some words that were less than pleasant. They said they didn't know the range didn't open till noon on sunday......so I pointed to the HUGE sign on the door with the posted hours of operation. 🙄
They hadn't even signed in just drove down saw the targets and started blasting.

The people I'm describing......are why some clubs go to needing an on duty ro.

Last edited:
Tried this at Ayer gun club years ago before I left that club. They have a dirt toad down to the range. Being a Massachusetts club.... you can't shoot before noon on Sundays. I went down the road at about 11am.....walked out and set up a bunch of targets......was with my son. Sitting around waiting for noon to go hot sipping coffee. Decided I had to use the can so we drive back up to the clubhouse.....it's only like 1120am at this point. I'm on the throne taking a crap and hear mag dumps going on down at the range. I'm like shit....I'm signed in at 11am they are gonna thing that's me! I pinch it off and head back down the road to find 2 guys mag dumping......and shooting at my targets that I put out. It was clear those targets were freshly placed out......my range bag was on the table along with my thermos of coffee....and if they had bothered to obey the rules would have signed in and seen my name on the list.

Needless to say......we had some words that were less than pleasant. They said they didn't know the range didn't open till noon on sunday......so I pointed to the HUGE sign on the door with the posted hours of operation. 🙄
They hadn't even signed in just drove down saw the targets and started blasting.

Just send them membershipless down the road.

i despise the ro that humiliates a member in front of their kids. i've seen it several times over the years, i don't think it's a good look for the ro. there are a number of ways to correct/point out/instruct a member to correct an infraction without belittling a guy in front of his family. i'm sure the kids remember this also and i bet it's not a valued shooting experience.

My club is similar.....noon on Sundays......more for the neighbors than anything......we have people all the time that can't read.

In fact, while building the elevated archery stand this Sunday morning, I saw a truck go buy then hear them shooting.......had to stop what I was doing and go remind them its Sunday and can't start til noon. As long as they comply nicely, and most of the time they do, I'm nice about it.

Any other response would have me going from 0-100, and getting them thrown out.......pretty quick. Haven't run across that situation yet.

Happens a lot with new members that "didn't know" and we give them a pass on the first time, and remind them its on the sign, and reading it is fundamental.

i despise the ro that humiliates a member in front of their kids. i've seen it several times over the years, i don't think it's a good look for the ro. there are a number of ways to correct/point out/instruct a member to correct an infraction without belittling a guy in front of his family. i'm sure the kids remember this also and i bet it's not a valued shooting experience.
Unless its an immediate safety issue where you have to yell at someone, for instance like you were shooting and they decided to walk down range or something.......

Doesn't have to be an RO......any member that does that is a douchebag. Pulling someone aside for a polite reminder on safety doesn't have to be rudely done.

I've never had to do that at my clubs range that i can recall.

During pheasant hunts we've had some issues, surprisingly its usually older guys that are the worst. Younger hunters that go thru the
program where I and a few others teach them to shoot at the skeet fields, then they go thru the Youth Pheasant hunt..... are pretty darn safe. Because its been drilled into their heads.
Older guys have either never been taught, or are just lax. We've had one or two ground shooters as well.....that is not at all tolerated. However, still, they are pulled aside and its dealt with with as discreetly as can be. If it happens twice.....then you become an asshat, and its goes to a different level.

Last edited:
Before BRP got the overhead brows to keep rounds from going out, volunteered the whole summer so others could shoot. It was no big deal after supervising ranges in the Army.

End of season, Head RO appointed all his buddies as RO’s and they all got their little badges. Last time I volunteered….

My club is similar.....noon on Sundays......more for the neighbors than anything......we have people all the time that can't read.

In fact, while building the elevated archery stand this Sunday morning, I saw a truck go buy then hear them shooting.......had to stop what I was doing and go remind them its Sunday and can't start til noon. As long as they comply nicely, and most of the time they do, I'm nice about it.

Any other response would have me going from 0-100, and getting them thrown out.......pretty quick. Haven't run across that situation yet.

Happens a lot with new members that "didn't know" and we give them a pass on the first time, and remind them its on the sign, and reading it is fundamental.
In this situation I encountered I went to automatic WTF mode because they didn't sign in and were shooting my targets. That club didn't supply targets and I put out a bunch of splatter targets which are not cheep. These guys were ass clowns plain and simple.

In this situation I encountered I went to automatic WTF mode because they didn't sign in and were shooting my targets. That club didn't supply targets and I put out a bunch of splatter targets which are not cheep. These guys were ass clowns plain and simple.
For sure.......different situation than just plain shooting early on a Sunday.

You are your own RO at my club. Be clean, follow the rules, don't be an a**h*** is what we were told.

Pretty close to the summary I give club newbs: Be safe, pick up after yourself, don't F up club property.

Sounds like my club.

Oh, and don't shoot the steel targets with AP ammo. Apparently someone did that, thus yesterday morning's reminder blasted out that anyone caught doing that will be treated as a vandal.

Steel targets are relatively new for our club. AP and/or magnum calibers have been a problem. Hopefully the situation will correct before we end the 'experiment'.

This.

"Requiring ROs" is just one way to handle that problem. There are others. Nuke the offenders, don't punish everybody else.

This! Sometimes club officers are a little reluctant to nuke the offenders, but I am a big supporter of it. By far it is the BEST solution, rather than have the ever-increasing rules cancer that makes everyone else miserable yet won't stop the problems.

Nope, showed up at my club a few minutes early both times.

Yup. But at ours, member's cards are time locked. ROs can get in any time.
That sucks, may be time to look for a new club, I can get into the clubs I am a member of 24/7. Obviously can’t shoot until after 9am until 1/2 before sunset but can hang out, have a drink, smoke a cigar, take a hike, almost like your own back yard.
What part of MA you in?

Pay ranges typically don't expect customers to clean up or give guests that kind of sass.
Never been to a “pay range”. But have payed to shoot matches that are open to the public at many different private clubs. The proper etiquette it to help break down when the event is over. I know shooters are expected to at our matches every month

Never been to a “pay range”. But have payed to shoot matches that are open to the public at many different private clubs. The proper etiquette it to help break down when the event is over. I know shooters are expected to at our matches every month
Helping out is some way is important. You don’t have to break your back doing it.

We have ROs at my club but they are not required to shoot. We host bi weekly shoots open to the public and we always have a RO present for safety , mainly for the public that comes in . As of yet after 10 years as a RO we have only had Two incidents , One shooter showed up with handloads that OAL was all over the place and had several jams so we watched him very carefully , the other was a member who made his own choke for a shotgun by using a pipe vise , we made him shoot it first before the shoot to see if it was safe. As an RO we try to be invisible to shooters but we monitor the shoots looking for safety concerns.

I help RO the live fire portion of the BSC (not a requirement I know, but it's always good to have trigger time so they understand if they truly want to proceed and are safe). Otherwise, my ranges have no ROs outside of USPSA and IDPA stuff

I have real mixed feelings on this. Just to be upfront I am an RO at my club however I don't advertise the fact and I don't go around looking to bust people's ass either.

I am a firm believer that people are adults and if they meet the qualifications to be a club member and complete the process they should be able to shoot on a range without an RO babysitting them. If you want special training for a specific range them make them do a separate qualification for that range.

When I see someone messing up I approach them and casually talk with them about what they are doing. I try and point out what is wrong and why and teach them. I am not trying to bust their chops. I just want them to know what's up and teach them what is correct. If they are amicable then no problem and we are done. If they bust my ass or are non receptive or don't care them I am going to write up a range infraction. I am also a firm believer that we are all range officers. As a club member if you see someone doing something questionable or in violation of rules then approach them in the same manner.

In 8 years I've written up 2 range infractions. One guy sent a round over the berm. I had no choice. That round left the property and blow back to the club could have been significant. The second was a guy who showed up during a sanctioned match and wanted to use a range that was closed. The range in question was not being used however it was closed due to the fact it was close to the range that was being used and the sheer number of shooters. This guy didn't want to take no for an answer so he waits for the RO to leave and then sets up regardless and starts to shoot. The RO called me as the MD and I went over. The guy gives me a bunch of crap and gets all pissy so I wrote him up.

Every time I'm at the club I circulate around to all the ranges and see who is there. You get to know the familiar faces. If you see new faces then maybe stand back a few minutes and watch them. I'm not trying to be dick but as a club officer it is my responsibility to watch out for the welfare of the club. It's a fine line you need to walk and always be respectful to the members.

Back
Top Bottom