Things learned by a "Newbie"

Thanks for posting the original thread, BCEagleAce. I had my wife read your post last night and it really opened her eyes.

Thanks for posting the original thread, BCEagleAce. I had my wife read your post last night and it really opened her eyes.

That's really great to hear! My wife is a stay at home mom, and my biggest fear is that something happens when I'm not home. I've convinced my wife to get her Class A. We can have range dates together now [smile]

because I certainly don't consider myself to be an ignorant or uninformed person.

The ignorant or uninformed never do...not directed at you per se, but a general observation regarding the ignorant or uninformed...

Better to have your gun and not need it, then need your gun and not have it!

Word.

Go the range and practice!!!

Really a starting point. Take a basic course, work at range to solidify what you learned at course, etc. The range with bad habits only ingrains those bad habits....

4) learn everything you can about your gun(s). I knew next to nothing when I got my permit. As a result, the gun was intimidating. Learning about the mechanical operation, how it works, how to strip and clean it, etc. demystified the gun and made me WAY more comfortable with it.

See above comment about courses.

6) not gun specific, but the recent ice storm showed me how UNPREPARED I was for a SHTF situation!!! I have substantially upgraded things at my house as a result to be more prepared for a severe weather situation, civil unrest, zombie plague, etc. as a result. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best should be words to live by.

Nah, the government will save you! [rolleyes]

7) Glocks are AWESOME!!!! You should own a Glock, or several!

Never owned one, never will. I wouldn't be throwing out gun advice just yet.[wink]

I hope that helps some newbies.

It's great you have found religion and all that, but you are still a newbie, so enjoy your new found pride of gun ownership, but be careful with dispensing too much advice.

Good luck.

Pro-Glock: Austriophillic

Anti-Glock: Explodaphobic
[rofl][laugh2]

That's really great to hear! My wife is a stay at home mom, and my biggest fear is that something happens when I'm not home. I've convinced my wife to get her Class A. We can have range dates together now [smile]

My GF just took her safety course, app is being filled out now.

Great thread BTW. (well except for the glock thing) [wink]

Get a Sig. [grin]

I recently posted in this forum about a potential home invasion at my house. I got a lot of great feedback from NESers (as I always do!) and learned a lot. While some of the things I'll mention in this post are repeated from my above mentioned thread, and other topics on this board, I felt that they are important enough to merit being repeated.

Before I do that, let me just say how NIEVE and IGNORANT I was to certain things up until I become a Class A license holder! This was surprising for me to learn because I certainly don't consider myself to be an ignorant or uninformed person. But, before applying for and getting my Class A, I went about life feeling completely secure and safe. I know that bad things happen, but I just felt like they could never happen to me!

The process of getting my license and some subsequent events were very eye opening. I write this post because I feel I have learned a lot and have become a lot more "aware" because of the process involved in becoming a gun owner. Knowing that I came to NES as a "newbie" looking for advice/help/information, and seeing how many "newbies" show up on NES, I thought it might help others by summarizing some lessons learned:

1) not only is it a Constitutional right to own a gun, it should be a DUTY to own a gun. Gun control activists have seriously undermined the 2nd Amendment as it was intended, and they continue to work tirelessly against it. The more gun owners there are, the less the gun control lobbies ability to infringe on your rights. Also very important, an armed citizenry is the only check we have as a people against tyranny and oppression.

2) you are never completely safe! Unless you are in a sealed fallout shelter deep in the mountains, you are never completely safe. It is very important to have situational awareness at all times. Surprising to me, sometimes when you think you are most safe, you are actually LEAST safe. I thought being at home made me most safe; however, it is where many of us are most vulnerable. I now have more situational awareness, and I now carry whenever it is possible. Better to have your gun and not need it, then need your gun and not have it!

3) having a gun that you can't use effectively renders the gun useless or extremely dangerous. If you are going to own and carry a gun, you need to become as proficient as possible with it. Go the range and practice!!!

4) learn everything you can about your gun(s). I knew next to nothing when I got my permit. As a result, the gun was intimidating. Learning about the mechanical operation, how it works, how to strip and clean it, etc. demystified the gun and made me WAY more comfortable with it.

5) safety first... my rule of thumb continues to be to treat all of my guns as if they are loaded. My gun(s) is either on my person, or safely locked/secured ALWAYS.

6) not gun specific, but the recent ice storm showed me how UNPREPARED I was for a SHTF situation!!! I have substantially upgraded things at my house as a result to be more prepared for a severe weather situation, civil unrest, zombie plague, etc. as a result. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best should be words to live by. Sadly for most, you don't know you are off guard for an incident like this until you are caught off guard and it is too late. We live in scary times, and better safe than sorry.

7) Glocks are AWESOME!!!! You should own a Glock, or several!

I hope that helps some newbies.

ALL valid points except for #7........

XD45 with thumb safety is MUCH better....

No interest in Glocks, but I have & love a SigSauer P228, I gotta say i am a bit disappointed that no one is pointing this gentleman to the One True Church of Saint John Moses Browning

Great write up, I agree 100% about learning how the guns work to put you at ease. I was never afraid of them, but I know it's helped people I know to become more comfortable with them if I show/explain how they work.

Also, I love my G22 and I knew that last line was going to cause trouble, hahaha.

+1 for you and Gaston.

ETA: (and avoid the flames), I'll have in my possession a holy 1911 by the beginning of next week, pending arrival of my check. [wink]

threadjacked.gif

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread titled "Things learned by a "Newbie"". Thank you for abusing GLOCK, and please call back again!

Back
Top Bottom