THINKING ABOUT SHOOTING 3 GUN - AR SCOPE ADVICE

Looking to start shooting 3 gun, what are people using as a scope for their rifles (ar-15)

Don't want to break the bank, need wallet friendly advice to which scope would work the best

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm going to say Primary Arms, 1-4x or 1-6x with ACSS reticle.

18" or 16" barrel, 55gr, 62gr, 69gr, or 77gr, with a proper zero, I'm on a 10" gong at any range I have occasion to shoot. Doing the calculations on the drop, if I do my job, it will do its job out to 600 easily.

I'll be buying AT LEAST one more, but probably more like 2 or 3 for various builds plus something for the 300 Win Mag I just picked up.

The 1-8x looks nice, but I can't justify the price. 1-6x is fine for the $269 price tag (when in stock). Zero complaints other than that your eye position is going to be a little important if you want to run with both eyes open at 1x. It's as close as you're going to get to a true 1x scope in anything even close to that price range.

Edit: Alternatively, depending on your needs, Primary Arms dot with a 3x magnifier would do it as well. There are a couple of Vortex options that look interesting, but I have personally smacked three Primary Arms scopes (multi-dot & 5x, 1-6x ACSS, 4-14x mil dot) around for between 1 and 5 years now with zero failures, and fantastic customer support.

Last edited:
If you want to go with optics other than Iron's, I would wait until you have more cash. Don't skimp on optics.

millet 1 - 4X... not bad for a ~ 200 buck optic... compares pretty good to a 3K S&B...

Looking to start shooting 3 gun, what are people using as a scope for their rifles (ar-15)

Don't want to break the bank, need wallet friendly advice to which scope would work the best

It depends on where you are shooting and what the distances are. Problem is your price range.

Your best bet at that price range is a dot sight and learn how the use it with hold overs. Any scope for three gun needs to be rugged so when the rifle is dumped, it will hold zero.

Look for a used 1-4 to start with and plan on upgrading as you get hooked. My Trijicon TR24 1-4 retails over $1,000 and that is a mid range scope. The Burris I have retails for about $700. Both of these are outdated by newer models that are 1-6.

Plan on spending about $800 for used scope and mount. $300 will just buy you disappointment.

If you want to buy a nice 18" lightweight purpose built upper, send me a PM. I no longer can shoot three gun.

Bushnell AR/223 1-4x24 PCL.

Nice budget friendly scope, throw down lever makes it easy to go from 1x to 4x quickly. Illuminated BDC reticle is a nice touch.

This won't be a great "distance" scope, but is a decent scope for 3 gun that won't break the bank (and not a "disappointment" at under $300).

Last edited:
Burris MTAC 1-4.

Don't touch the primary arms at this price pt. I had the 1-6 it was a piece of shit.

If you can throw another $100 at it, the SWFA is better.

I have the Bushnell 1-4 on a beater rifle, it works but the Burris is def better.

So, to those of you more knowledgeable about 3 gun, do you need zero magnification on the low setting? Could you use a 2-7 or is 1x absolutely necessary? A 2-7 is a lot less then a 1-6 for the same quality. Does 2x slow you down that much to make you uncompetitive?

So, to those of you more knowledgeable about 3 gun, do you need zero magnification on the low setting? Could you use a 2-7 or is 1x absolutely necessary? A 2-7 is a lot less then a 1-6 for the same quality. Does 2x slow you down that much to make you uncompetitive?

Better to go with a 1-4 (or even just a plain red dot) than something starting at 2x. For $300 a 1-4, Miculek Comp, and JP trigger springs is probably the best way to start.

Either a vortex strike eagle or save up an extra hundred bucks and get a vor text viper pst.
I tried to cheap out on glass for the game and all it left me with was a box of junk in the basement.

Magpul MBUS (not the Pro Sight) if you're not going to use glass, otherwise I'd go with a Leupold AR-1 3-9 x 40mm for longer range shooting. This should keep things under $500. If you want to spend more, go with the 4-12 x 40 mm or 6-18 x 40 mm, although 6-18 is probably overkill.

I wasn't happy running a 1.5x.

I don't shoot a lot of 3 gun but I shot the Mid-Atlantic Multi-Gun Championship in PA this year and the Colt/Armalite 3 Man 3 Gun Championships, also in PA the past several years (and down in WV at the Peacemaker National Training Center one year). I get to see a lot of good shooters and a lot of gear. Yes, you need a 1x something scope - not a 1.5 or a red dot. They are both compromised. You can make either work - but as succinctly stated before - they will slow you down. With the 1.5 your eyes will perceive two images that are sized differently, but close enough that your brain can't reconcile the differences under pressure and physical stress. You could close one eye but if you're not shooting with both eyes open you're going slow. Re a red dot: a 6" plate at 200-300 yards, that is grey and not out in the sun, is damned difficult to see without magnification. Now try to hold a 2 or 4 MOA dot over that plate in a compromised position. Or how about a 2" square plate at 50 yards? I know there are probably a hundred stories about guys in the military shooting 400 yards with M4s - well I suspect that in most cases, your going to see accuracy by volume. You need a good quality scope. Of all the inexpensive scopes - I'd go with the lifetime warranty - Vortex. I have a Razor - I cried once. Also - mounting position and location of the scope is very important. You might have to try a couple of mounts and locations on your upper to get an acceptable eye box. Notice that I said acceptable, not perfect. 3 gun is fun. You'll learn a lot about your equipment. Oh yeah - don't cheap out on the shotgun.

Right now primary arms has the Vortex Strike Eagle for $260 (promo code RANGE).

I ordered one from them Tuesday afternoon and it was delivered today. Primary Arms is great like that. It seems like a great scope for the money. But all I have to compare it to is a Vortex Diamondback. It is big, and it needs to be on 10 or 11 for the illumination to be useful outside of complete darkness. But I have no problem using it with both eyes open. Again, I don't have anything to compare it to and I haven't actually shot with it, but I think it will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burris MTAC 1-4 ( IMO best 3gun Optic under 500)
SWFA 1-4 ( Small company but its a great optic )
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 ( IMO best 1-6x under 500, the Burris is better if your ok with 1-4x )

The Primary Arms 1-6x is basically the same as the strike eagle.. For some reason though it just doesn't seem as nice, and the reticle is too busy for 3gun IMO. More of a combat optic. Also Vortex has the best Customer Service and Warranty out there period. So if your gonna go that way... I say go Vortex over PA.

Or you can just shoot limited and use an unmagnified red dot. Holosun or Primary arms has 50k battery life red dots that are super light, come with a mount, and are around $170 shipped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom