Threaded barrel adapter?

yogi

NES Member

I have M&P 15-22 bought in MA without the threaded barrel. Now I’m in NH and am ordering a suppressor for it and was wondering if anyone had experience with an adapter like the one I linked? Any guidance appreciated. Yes, I could have it machined but this seems like an easy solution for a rifle used for backyard plinking and mag dumps. Thanks!

Well, considering a Volquartsen 15-22 threaded barrel is like 80% of the cost of the rifle and it's still just a plinker rifle, I say go for the Tacticool adapter and just make sure you check the bore axis with a steel rod of the appropriate size. I always check the bore axis on anything I suppress anyway and have an assortment of steel rods that are specific for that purpose. These types of adapters are common in the air rifle world, where .22 and various other calibers are all going at 1000-1100 fps through airgun suppressors, so similar to a subsonic .22 powder cartridge. For any higher end .22 I would send the barrel out to be threaded. Note that Tornado will thread a 15-22 if you want. $130 not including shipping.

Well, considering a Volquartsen 15-22 threaded barrel is like 80% of the cost of the rifle and it's still just a plinker rifle, I say go for the Tacticool adapter and just make sure you check the bore axis with a steel rod of the appropriate size. I always check the bore axis on anything I suppress anyway and have an assortment of steel rods that are specific for that purpose. These types of adapters are common in the air rifle world, where .22 and various other calibers are all going at 1000-1100 fps through airgun suppressors, so similar to a subsonic .22 powder cartridge. For any higher end .22 I would send the barrel out to be threaded. Note that Tornado will thread a 15-22 if you want. $130 not including shipping.
Could you just cut off the flash
hider or whatever is pinned on there and just have the barrel threaded?

I think you should just get another 22 rifle, specifically a bolt gun, and truly enjoy shooting in pure silence using sub sonic ammo.

To accomplish a no machining fit, there needs to be clearance, which will lead to inaccuracy. If I were going to use this with a 22 cal suppressor, I think that I would try to get some really thin shim stock to make it as tight a fit on the barrel as possible. If your suppressor is short or overbore (like a 30 cal version) then it may not be an issue at all. You don't want baffle strikes, though!

To accomplish a no machining fit, there needs to be clearance, which will lead to misalignment. If I were going to use this with a 22 cal suppressor, I think that I would try to get some really thin shim stock to make it as tight a fit on the barrel as possible. If your suppressor is short or overbore (like a 30 cal version) then it may not be an issue at all. You don't want baffle strikes, though!

Replace the barrel or have the barrel threaded. Those adaptors are really a poor solution and are really to
easily add a flash hider for show. A flash hider is a wide open devise and would have very little effect on accuracy, a
suppressor is
designed differently.
. The only way to do this is to do it correctly. You are spending all this money on a suppressor and you want to cheep out on the mounting. If this mounting device causes even a slight deviation in mounting accuracy at the muzzel the bullet may dammage the suppressor while passing through. Do it right, do it once, don't try to cheap out it may cost you more in the long run. Or just give up the idea.

I'd be more worried about the can. (Baffle strikes) Those guns are basically disposable otherwise.
This.. if you do it right these things are flying out all kinds of sideways anyway. I’d put a can on it for something larger than 22 just so that you don’t get baffle strikes unless you’re going for near silent.. get a can for something bigger than just use it on your 22 it’s not like hearing matters anyway.. that way you have a can you can use on multiple guns, buy something that serviceable .22 loads that shit up real quick.. if you actually shoot

Cheapest option to sell the MA complaint one and get a free state one already threaded?

Did this come with pinned flash hider or just no threads at all?? Pinned can be reversed by someone with skills and patience.

If not, get the barrel threaded or trade it in and buy a free state version. You could probably do well with trade in price at many of the gun stores near the mass border that somewhat cater to mass customers, as it will move. Nobody in NH wants a non threaded barrel anything!

I typically would recommend against using that adapter, but since the 22 you might be able to pull it off, I’d prefer not to do that though

It’s not gonna apply to you but a lot of my full auto guns once I heat them up the muscle device tends to wanna unscrew so I grab it with some gloves or a rag and tighten it down while it’s hot then once it cools off, it doesn’t come off again.

I’d be leery about using anything with those set screws on anything other than a 22

Cheapest option to sell the MA complaint one and get a free state one already threaded?
All you skinflints in MA want to pay pennies on the dollars for a nice gun 😂. Seriously, my view is I have guns I have shot and taken care and that work “flawless” for many years and one has sentimental value as I bought it as a 40th birthday gift to myself 😁.

All you skinflints in MA want to pay pennies on the dollars for a nice gun 😂. Seriously, my view is I have guns I have shot and taken care and that work “flawless” for many years and one has sentimental value as I bought it as a 40th birthday gift to myself 😁.
I get it. In that case, thread the barrel/have it un-pinned.

Back
Top Bottom