• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Threaded pistol barrel

Admittedly I am completely dumb when it comes to this topic, but in MA, is it illegal for us to have a threaded barrel on a .22 pistol? I know we can't legally own suppressors in MA but what about a threaded barrel? I see M&P .22s have then (when you take the adapter off) best to leave it that way?

Yes you can, as long as it does not have any other features of an "assault weapon"

You can put a fake can a muzzle brake on or even a flash hider on if you want.

The rule on a pistols is the mag has to go out side the pistol grip like a AR pistol when that happens then you can only have 2 evil features unless it's preban.

There is a little more to it mag in or out of pistol grip
Thread barrel a weight of 50 oz. Or more and a barrel shroud that you can use to hold the gun and not get burned.

But a mag in the grip you only have one feature the threaded barrel.

You are safe all the way.

Last edited:
The rule on a pistols is the mag has to go out side the pistol grip like a AR pistol when that happens then you can only have 2 evil features unless it's preban.

Not exactly.

Much like with rifles, there are two prerequisites for a pistol to be an AW. It must be semi-automatic, and it must accept detachable magazines. If it meets those prerequisites, then if it has two or more "evil features" then it is an AW. Here is the list of "evil features" for pistols:

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

So, for a standard handgun like a Glock, adding a threaded barrel will generally only give it one "evil feature" (ii in this case) so it would still not be an AW.

so adding a threaded barrel to a M&P .22 full size pistol and Ruger SR22 I should be OK?

Last edited:
But a normal hand gun will never meet that because there not over 50 oz and the mag does not go out side the pistol grip and there not semi auto's of a full auto gun.

So if you wanted before the AG AR 15 BAN you could take a fresh AR receiver and build an AR pistol with the pistol grip flash hider barrel shroud and weigh over 50 oz as long as it doesn't take detachable magazine and has a 10 fixed magazine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom