Time to join a new range

Any suggestions? Anyone willing sponsors? Harvard is too far. Right now I'm looking at Reading, Danvers, or Andover.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, though.

I've got a co-worker who is applying in Glouster because all the other local clubs weren't so friendly to new folk... long waiting lists, etc.

I know you said it's too far, but since I have little knowledge about joining other clubs....Harvard.

It seems like a different world out here Martlet. When I read threads about the ranges out that way, I just scratch my head. I wish you lived closer to The Berkshires, as I could get you in to Lee with a check or cash and an application. 30-acres, 50, 100 and 200 yard rifle range, skeet, trap, five stand fields, outdoor archery lanes, outdoor IDPA, CAS and indoor archery and pistol range. We raise hundreds of our own pheasants and all for a whopping $50.00 a year - no lists, no tests, no waiting....If you're ever wandering around exit 2, drop by and I'll show you a gun club as it should be...Good luck in your search.

I'm a member of Andover Sportsmen's Club. What are you looking for?

Essentially I only use a range for sighting in rifles and bows, and pistol practice. Everything else I typically do other places. I'd prefer something with extended hours, but that's not entirely necessary.

It seems like a different world out here Martlet. When I read threads about the ranges out that way, I just scratch my head. I wish you lived closer to The Berkshires, as I could get you in to Lee with a check or cash and an application. 30-acres, 50, 100 and 200 yard rifle range, skeet, trap, five stand fields, outdoor archery lanes, outdoor IDPA, CAS and indoor archery and pistol range. We raise hundreds of our own pheasants and all for a whopping $50.00 a year - no lists, no tests, no waiting....If you're ever wandering around exit 2, drop by and I'll show you a gun club as it should be...Good luck in your search.

There's an exit 2?

Essentially I only use a range for sighting in rifles and bows, and pistol practice. Everything else I typically do other places. I'd prefer something with extended hours, but that's not entirely necessary.

Andover has a 50' indoor range that is 24/7. Pistol with no magnum rounds, 22LR rifles only. It's a nice well ventilated range. I often go there late hours to practice, try new gun stuff.

Trap range is popular. Free to public on Sunday mornings I think.

Outdoor range is 30', 50', 15 yds, 50 yds, 100 yds.

They do have a bunch of archery stuff and they often have 3d matches. I think most of the members are archers or traps shooters... which works well for me as I shoot mostly handguns.

They have some quirky rules like no more than 10 rnds in mag outdoor and 5rnds in mag indoors, no draw from holster. (This is why I am also a Harvard member). But you don't need an SO present to shoot at ranges.

All in all it's a pretty good club. I can sponsor you if you want.

Andover has a 50' indoor range that is 24/7. Pistol with no magnum rounds, 22LR rifles only. It's a nice well ventilated range. I often go there late hours to practice, try new gun stuff.

Trap range is popular. Free to public on Sunday mornings I think.

Outdoor range is 30', 50', 15 yds, 50 yds, 100 yds.

They do have a bunch of archery stuff and they often have 3d matches. I think most of the members are archers or traps shooters... which works well for me as I shoot mostly handguns.

They have some quirky rules like no more than 10 rnds in mag outdoor and 5rnds in mag indoors, no draw from holster. (This is why I am also a Harvard member). But you don't need an SO present to shoot at ranges.

All in all it's a pretty good club. I can sponsor you if you want.

Thanks. I'm going to see what facilities/rules Reading and Danvers has, too. I'd like to make up my mind and start the process soon.

You are welcome to come check out Georgetown.

We have a clubhouse, but all our shooting facilities are outdoors.

We have lights on our trap field for Wednesday nights.

Thanks. I'm going to see what facilities/rules Reading and Danvers has, too. I'd like to make up my mind and start the process soon.

as you know, i'm looking at Harvard. a close second is the place out in Hopkinton. a little too far for me... but who knows.

i just wanna shoot w/o having to get jumped in. [rofl]

EDIT: I'm in the same situation as Martlet. I just dumped my key fob in the trash today. I'm work and live near Hanscom Air Force Base....

sooooooo.....

1. HSC - which I plan on joining

2. Danvers - i have zero experience with

3. Hopkinton - same as danvers

4. go back to pay per use Bob's tactical

5. anything else within a 15 mile (20 max) range?
i know of Braintree and Mytic Vally, but I'd really like to shoot outside man. Seriously... something about shooting outside in the freezing cold gets me motivated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not in the same boat, but paddling in the same lake.

In Salem and looking for something that offers a little bit of everything without some of the more crazy restriction I have heard.

Would like skeet, trap, pistol, and 100yrd rifle.

Would also like indoor that would be available during the evening so I could go shoot after work if I wanted to.

Let me guess: you kicked a range officer in the nuts and now you're banned from the club you were at?

Westford is a good club. Scratch that--it's a great club.

IIRC, Martlet is one of the many disgruntled former MRA members.

I belong to Danvers.

Indoor pistol , outdoor pistol ( target frames ) , outdoor rifle ( 100 yard ) , indoor archery , outdoor archery , outdoor archery 3d targets on trails , primitive range ( I don't know what those guys do , they scare me ) , trap & skeet , Outdoor steel plate ( pistol ) , fish pond , Monthly club breakfast , big cookouts , ... every range has a house of some sort , some even have plumbing - sort of.

The hours do suck for many. Shotgunners , steel plate , outdoor rifle/ pistol have one night a week with floodlights , otherwise the place shuts down at 3pm every day.

But I only shoot weekends , and tuesday or wednesday nights ...

The place is oddly fragmented membership wise. Each range is it's own little club , and it's own peculiarities with people gravitating to where they are happiest. But open enough that I am welcome everywhere.

Other PIA : membership is not pro rated. Year starts in June. Join now and you pay again in june. Long fight to square that away , but no progress yet .

Cape Ann Sportsmans Club in Gloucester is always welcoming new members. We have many people join who come from other clubs. We always hear their horror stories. This club is a great, little, private club that is family friendly, offers both trap and skeet, archery, 24 hour indoor pistol range, outdoor pistol, and 100yrd rifle range which is covered from the elements. We offer breakfast for a small donation on Sunday mornings, monthly raffles, various types of shoots to include 4 sanctioned CMP shoots, Public shooting for a small fee on Sundays. Oh, I forgot, theres a huge pond out back that the State stocks every Spring with different types of freshwater fish. Rifle range shooting starts at 9am and ends at dusk. During the Summer, dusk is around 7pm.

Come on by on Sunday mornings, show your face, introduce yourself, etc, etc. I'm one of the range officers there and I'm usually there.

Last edited:
I belong to Danvers.

Indoor pistol , outdoor pistol ( target frames ) , outdoor rifle ( 100 yard ) , indoor archery , outdoor archery , outdoor archery 3d targets on trails , primitive range ( I don't know what those guys do , they scare me ) , trap & skeet , Outdoor steel plate ( pistol ) , fish pond , Monthly club breakfast , big cookouts , ... every range has a house of some sort , some even have plumbing - sort of.

The hours do suck for many. Shotgunners , steel plate , outdoor rifle/ pistol have one night a week with floodlights , otherwise the place shuts down at 3pm every day.

But I only shoot weekends , and tuesday or wednesday nights ...

The place is oddly fragmented membership wise. Each range is it's own little club , and it's own peculiarities with people gravitating to where they are happiest. But open enough that I am welcome everywhere.

Other PIA : membership is not pro rated. Year starts in June. Join now and you pay again in june. Long fight to square that away , but no progress yet .

It even closes at 3pm in the summer?

It even closes at 3pm in the summer?

And an RO must be present on the range for it to be in use. Last summer I went to the rifle range on a Sunday around 12:00 noon with a friend and every one was packing up when we got there. There was no afternoon RO so there was no shooting on that range. [crying]

No shooting on a Sunday at 12:00 ?!? I was heavily bummed out as I was going to sight in a new rifle that day.

The ranges are decent but that is something you may want to consider if you plan on shooting during irregular hours.

Man on man... there is a chance that my job will force a move to the north shore from God's country (contrary to popular belief, if you drive past 495 you DO NOT fall off the edge of the earth! ...the roads to get a little bumpy though). This discussion is really bumming me out...

contrary to popular belief, if you drive past 495 you DO NOT fall off the edge of the earth! ...the roads to get a little bumpy though

None of us thought that was the edge of the earth. We just figured life was a little tough out there, fighting off the Indians and dragons and all.

And an RO must be present on the range for it to be in use. Last summer I went to the rifle range on a Sunday around 12:00 noon with a friend and every one was packing up when we got there. There was no afternoon RO so there was no shooting on that range. [crying]

No shooting on a Sunday at 12:00 ?!? I was heavily bummed out as I was going to sight in a new rifle that day.

The ranges are decent but that is something you may want to consider if you plan on shooting during irregular hours.

What does it take to become an RO?

as you know, i'm looking at Harvard. a close second is the place out in Hopkinton. a little too far for me... but who knows.

i just wanna shoot w/o having to get jumped in. [rofl]

EDIT: I'm in the same situation as Martlet. I just dumped my key fob in the trash today. I'm work and live near Hanscom Air Force Base....

sooooooo.....

1. HSC - which I plan on joining

2. Danvers - i have zero experience with

3. Hopkinton - same as danvers

4. go back to pay per use Bob's tactical

5. anything else within a 15 mile (20 max) range?
i know of Braintree and Mytic Vally, but I'd really like to shoot outside man. Seriously... something about shooting outside in the freezing cold gets me motivated!

Wouburn Sportsman in Billerica on Middlesex Turnpike (may be restrictive though). Westford is a good choice, but a little farther for you. There is the Billerica R&G - again not sure of restrictions.

Harvard really is an excellent choice for you.

Back
Top Bottom