Time to join a new range

None of us thought that was the edge of the earth. We just figured life was a little tough out there, fighting off the Indians and dragons and all.

[rofl]

i'm in Woburn BTW.

rooks rike I'll stick my original plan for now. Wayland looks like a cheaper alternative though. my boss lives there, i'll have to ask him if he's been there.

i'm in Woburn BTW.

rooks rike I'll stick my original plan for now. Wayland looks like a cheaper alternative though. my boss lives there, i'll have to ask him if he's been there.
Woburn Sportsman's Association is in Bedford, and thus much closer to you than Wayland Rod & Gun. WSA is also much larger, with more facilities than we have at Wayland.

I'm the VP. If you have questions about Wayland Rod & Gun Club, ask them on this thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7705&page=2&highlight=wayland

I am not sure.

I had thought about joining Danvers myself but decided against it due to the experience I mentioned above. It is nice to come and go as you please and shoot when you have time.

I agree. At this point, though, it's not going to be my priority. Typically I shoot afternoons and weekends. While there is the rare time I want to shoot at 9 pm, it isn't common. Still, Danvers looks pretty restrictive to me, which was the problem I had with MRA (and the attitude).

I do like the idea of a trout pond, though. I love fly fishing and never go anymore.

I'm a member of Danvers. It's a great club but the shooting times are limited especially if you work.

And an RO must be present on the range for it to be in use. Last summer I went to the rifle range on a Sunday around 12:00 noon with a friend and every one was packing up when we got there. There was no afternoon RO so there was no shooting on that range. [crying]

Any outdoor range which requires an RO present during normal operating/non event hours gets an automatic "fail" in my book. What will happen is when I want to shoot the RO will not be there- and I'm not packing up a range bag and several guns, driving for XX minutes, to find out I can't shoot because of a silly formality.

-Mike

Is there anyone who might be able to give a comprehensive description of the differences in rules and facilities between WSA, MRA, and Harvard? I'm looking at these clubs right now, and my main concern is that I do not want to have to worry about a RO being present whenever I want to shoot. I'm also considering Westford, as it seems like an excellent club as well, but if I can find something a little bit closer (I'm in Winchester) I'd like to. I also want to stay away from anywhere that has rules like 5 rounds per mag etc.-that just seems a little unnecessary. I figure I'll probably have to join another club to get the long range rifle facilities that I'm looking for, but for now that is not a main concern, as I probably won't have that build completed before the summer, and I can revisit that issue then.

I also hear there is alot of dissension over at MRA, and I have read the threads, but is there anyone who might be able to give the readers digest version of the problem? I don't want to join if the place is getting shot up so badly that the indoor facilities are going to have stricter rules or may not be open all the time due to a need for repair all the time. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you all for your time!

I'm not going to name names:

- A lot of people dislike MRA. A lot. Everytime I've gone there, I'm heard or seen things that make me glad I'm not a member there.

- I've had certain members here (whose opinions I listen to) list off a good amount of pretty damn good reasons why you'd never want to become a member there.

- Find me one person who dislikes WSC and I'll give you both $5. This offer does not apply to Blitz1. He'll do anything for a quick buck. Anything.

Anything you say???...[kiss]

Hahahahaha.

I'm on the Cape and I go to the range in Barnstable, it's probably too far away, but it's cheap and nobody hassles me with frivolous rules. I'm hoping to join the one down in Eastham soon.

FYI, I applied to Reading back in June or July. I called the head of membership in Oct. or Nov. and she said it was in the works but hopefully I will hear about it after the hunting season. It has been a long wait, but I think it will be worth it. The place looks great. In the meantime, I just keep buying and buying. I will let you know what happens.

I'm not going to name names:

- A lot of people dislike MRA. A lot. Everytime I've gone there, I'm heard or seen things that make me glad I'm not a member there.

- I've had certain members here (whose opinions I listen to) list off a good amount of pretty damn good reasons why you'd never want to become a member there.

- Find me one person who dislikes WSC and I'll give you both $5. This offer does not apply to Blitz1. He'll do anything for a quick buck. Anything.

How about expanding on what you've heard about MRA?

Check out Leominster Sportsmen's - just down Route 2 a bit. http://www.lsa-ma.org/

An active, fun place & laid back.

What ever you like they have! We just had the annual "Red Eye Shootout" (trap & skeet) this morning 1/1.
They're active in archery, muzzleloader, rifle, pistol, shotgun & fishing. FFL dealer too. 500 acres to hunt, which abuts 2500 acres of state forest!
$50/year (+$35 initiation fee 1st yr) such a deal!

Sunday morning is a good time to come up & check it out everything- that's when it's busiest

FYI, I applied to Reading back in June or July. I called the head of membership in Oct. or Nov. and she said it was in the works but hopefully I will hear about it after the hunting season. It has been a long wait, but I think it will be worth it. The place looks great. In the meantime, I just keep buying and buying. I will let you know what happens.

What do they have for facilities there? An indoor pistol range? What are the hours?

5. anything else within a 15 mile (20 max) range?
i know of Braintree and Mytic Vally, but I'd really like to shoot outside man. Seriously... something about shooting outside in the freezing cold gets me motivated!

How about Shirley? It's right up Rte 2 a bit. We have a covered outdoor pistol range and a covered outdoor rifle range with bunkers at 50, 75, 100, and hopefully soon, 200 yards.

We have no magazine capacity, holster-draw, or rate-of-fire restrictions. About 90% of the time I go, I have the place to myself.

PM me if you'd like to check it out.

How about Shirley? It's right up Rte 2 a bit. We have a covered outdoor pistol range and a covered outdoor rifle range with bunkers at 50, 75, 100, and hopefully soon, 200 yards.

We have no magazine capacity, holster-draw, or rate-of-fire restrictions. About 90% of the time I go, I have the place to myself.

PM me if you'd like to check it out.

Shirley is a great range. I wish it were closer.

They have an indoor pistol...I forget the hours...it's been so long...I was there over 6 months ago. I think I will go back to Eastern Rifle & Revolver in Lynn, also. Only pistols. That may be even closer and a good stand-by. Reading is an active club with a lot of matches...that much I remember. But it is close to us on the North Shore. I used to go to Georgetown, but that was a hike with no indoor ranges. But it is a cool place.

Ipswich

Any of you thought about Ipswich?

No RO needed

Brand new rifle and pistol facilities

1 Trap Range with a second to be finshed this summer.

Indoor and outdoor archery range

Lot's of great people, PM me and i will be more than willing to do a tour.

MB

wow, thanks for the offer EC. i'm slammed for this month once i get back to work.

its looking like late Jan / early Feb 2009.

just a quick invite to anybody that wants to check out a decent club in western ma. stop by any weekend at the fairview sportsmans club in granby ma. its located on carver st. we have approximately 400 acres of land, rifle range out to somewhat over 200 yds, trap field, pistol range, stocked trout pond and miles of trails for atvs and hiking. memberships are reasonably priced at $35 for individual and $45 for family. we do not have a lot of crazy rules but we do have rules and as a member you can use the facilities at any time of the week, you can even camp out there too...but there are no facilities for trailers. stop by and check us out.

Back
Top Bottom