Tone Squelch

In the New England Repeater list, I've seen a handful of repeaters that require both a TX CTCSS value as well as a RX CTCSS value.

If the repeater requires the RX CTCSS, does that mean you would not hear the repeater during a normal scan of the frequencies? That is to say, if I have squelch set > 0 on my radio...I'd not hear the repeater....but if I have my squelch off...then I'd hear it???

Is this a way that some repeaters use try and limit access to club members only or something?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you have your radio set up to need a PL tone on RX, you will only hear those signals with that tone.

If you don't have the RX tone set, you will receive everything on that frequency regardless of the presence or lack of any given tone.

If you have your radio set up to need a PL tone on RX, you will only hear those signals with that tone.

If you don't have the RX tone set, you will receive everything on that frequency regardless of the presence or lack of any given tone.

As an example, the PART machine in Westford and the BARC machine in Dennis both have great coverage but overlap depending on propagation. Westford uses 74.4 the cape is 88.5, sometimes you will hear people on one machine trying to talk to someone on the other if you don't set the rx tone.

Also, if the the repeater has digital as well as analog, you will want to set the tone squelch so you don't hear any unwanted digital signals (unless you have digital capability).

Life's too short to resort to signal squelch

Signal squelch will open up for QRM as well as a legit signal,
but if the threshold is set too high to blank out QRM,
you can miss the signal you're listening for.

If the legit signal is strong enough to understand,
it's usually strong enough to open a rig's tone squelch.

Back
Top Bottom