Took my girlfriend to the range this weekend!

Viper22

NES Member
So when I started dating my girlfriend about a year and a half ago, she was decidedly anti-firearms. After about a year of explaining safe handling, laws and everything else there is to talk about, I finally got her to go out to the range with me. I started her off with a Remington Viper 522 at 25 yards. (.22 semi-auto, synthetic stock, bipod, open sights). I set her up with a shoot and see style target, and by the second magazine she had a big smile on her face and wanted me to let her reload herself. The rest of the time went very well, with her going through about 100 rounds. Out of 30 rds on a target, she hit bullseye 10 or so times, with the rest being inside the 9 ring. Not too bad for the first time shooting a rifle. She didn't want to shoot the Mosin though, she said it was "too loud" As far as the Viper 522 having a reputation as being a "jamamatic", it functioned flawlessly with Blazer bulk ammo, and is fairly accurate. I have to adjust the sights a little, it shoots high and to the right, but all in all it is an awesome plinker.

Nice, i'm hoping to get my gf out too. She's def not anti, just not informed about guns that much. Her family doesn't shoot. I need to get a 22 so i can hand it to her before anything else.

That's great Viper22. [smile] Let her get into it before inroducing her to the Mosin, they have a tiny kick, it might put her off.

That's great! When I first signed up for my safety course they offered "bring a friend or relative for an extra $10". I (thought I) convinced my wife to join me. I figured that she should at least know the safety basics once I brought guns into our home. She backed at the last minute. To her credit she accompanied me to the range the day I got my license and purchased my first gun! She even shot it too! I just got her to agree to attend the next GOAL sponsored Women on Target event at my club Westford Sportsmen's Club in September. See if you can get her to sign up for one of these.

Way to go Viper. Don't push her. She may never want to shoot the Mosin, but could have a ball with 22s for a long time, and keep you company.

Using the shoot-and-see targets, or any other reactive type targets makes it more interesting for new people who aren't sure.That was smart.

My wife just got her permit, after many years of slow steady pressure. Then she bought a Ruger 22 pistol and now she's waking me up on the weekends to go to the range. It's fun.

Bill

ADDED: The woman on target events, or training in an all women course like Lynne, one of our moderators, teaches, is a great way to get your girl more comfortable with the idea. My wife took Lynnes course, at Mansfield F&G, and got her permit only two months after.

Last edited:
That's great! My wife started out with my Walther P22 and she was shooting my AK in no time at all! She did want to try my carry piece (we do sleep next to it), a S&W 340PD. I let her try it. She hated it! At least I only had her shoot .38s! She won't even touch a shotgun! But, she loves the P22 and the AK. I just got a Ruger 10/22, so I bet she will like that. Keep it up!

CONGRADS!!! I broke my girlfriend in gentile with a M-14 lol. She handled it very well, it was the GLOCK-23 with defenceive loads she did not care for.

Both of my daughters shot their first 9mm last week (thank you to another member). The older one had shot .45s and .357s, but the younger one had only shot .22s and .38 specials. They've both also shot .223 rifles. Both agreed that the 9mm was not a pleasant round to shoot and that they prefered other things their dad had to it. The point of this though was that the younger one is noise sensitive, and a little recoil shy, but she hung in there and put all her rounds down range safely. Damn I love those girls!

I took my girls shooting (both are teens). My older one liked the 9mm but it was 'too loud' for my younger so she shot a .380 (which, IMO, is louder b/c of the shorter barrel but go figure).

Back
Top Bottom