Tool to Modify Hammer

I need to cut approximately 1mm off the end of the tail on my AR-15 hammer. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive way of doing this? I was thinking about picking up a dremel and grinding it off with that, but would like to hear all of your suggestions.

I was thinking a file, then it dawned on me that the hammer is made from hardened steel... not sure if a file will do that in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm guessing that the hammer is only case hardened (not full hard), you should be able to sand it down with a good aluminum oxide belt.

A medium India stone will work just fine. Stay away from electrically powered implements of destruction for fine work.

Dont use a dremel....you will most likely screw it up.

Use a file. Put the part between two pieces of steel with just what you want cut off sticking out.

Theres no way that hammer is hardened as much as a file. Files are full-hardened and BRITTLE as a result, which is why you can snap them with your hands. Most production steel labelled as "hardened" has also been tempered to some degree, and files will bite just fine. Unless that hammer is full-hardened carbon steel (hard stainless is actually quite soft) at max hardness, a nicholson file will eat it like butter.

If for some shocking reason a file still won't do it, 10 minutes with some 3X sandpaper and a steady hand will do the job just as well.

Dont use a dremel....you will most likely screw it up.

Use a file. Put the part between two pieces of steel with just what you want cut off sticking out.

Theres no way that hammer is hardened as much as a file. Files are full-hardened and BRITTLE as a result, which is why you can snap them with your hands. Most production steel labelled as "hardened" has also been tempered to some degree, and files will bite just fine. Unless that hammer is full-hardened carbon steel (hard stainless is actually quite soft) at max hardness, a nicholson file will eat it like butter.

If for some shocking reason a file still won't do it, 10 minutes with some 3X sandpaper and a steady hand will do the job just as well.

Thanks!

I've tried a set of needle files on an M1 hammer and it was file hard. Not a scratch. Needed a stone to do it. Not sure about ARs though.

B

I've tried a set of needle files on an M1 hammer and it was file hard. Not a scratch. Needed a stone to do it. Not sure about ARs though.

B

I'm hoping thats not necessary, but how much is a stone, and what kind of stone am I looking for? I will probably be stopping by home depot or lowes tonight to pick up a new set of files, and might try picking up a stone while I'm at it.

I'm hoping thats not necessary, but how much is a stone, and what kind of stone am I looking for? I will probably be stopping by home depot or lowes tonight to pick up a new set of files, and might try picking up a stone while I'm at it.

A good India stone will work, usually brown/tan (though some are grey) in color and marked India (they are composed of quartz AKA silica). They range from hard to soft, translate rough to fine. The black sharpening knife stones will work but they will cut faster (silicon carbide AKA carborundum)

I get them from MSC or some industrial supply house. I also got a set at Woodworkers Warehouse. Brownells has them but they are twice as expensive.

B

If you get really desperate, shoot me an email. I will be in the shop all day tomorrow and it would take approximately .01 seconds to take that off on my belt grinder using a ceramic belt.

If its really 1mm, i'd buy a pack of 200, 400, 600 grit sandpaper (Get the yellow stuff at HD marked "3X". Just sand it flat on a flat surface. You can use permanent marker to make sure you are taking it off evenly.

Between the stone and the file I got the job done. It might just have been me, but the file didn't seem to really make a huge impact until after I had worn the finish off with the stone.

Back
Top Bottom