Tough lesson learned...

Don't wear socks on slippery floors and expect to hold a door closed against a refrigerator sized guy.

I always have a gun in hand when answering the door(my friends and family don't mind a bit) .....sorry, that's just the way the world is now......I DIDN'T MAKE IT THAT WAY but I will respond appropriately to it.

I just answer my ring,and tell them to smile, your on I am going to f^*k you up camera.

Step 1 👆, when you don't recognize who is at the door.
Step 2, Don't answer the door or don't open the door, regardless of who you might think it is!
I don't answer the door even if I know who is at it knocking. One thing I can't stand is someone coming to my house unannounced.

Not sure where you guys live, but I have open doors and the coffee on. Not much to take here anyhow, and insurance will cover the TV if they want that.

Not sure where you guys live, but I have open doors and the coffee on. Not much to take here anyhow, and insurance will cover the TV if they want that.
Open doors are out of date by decades, even out here in rural Kentucky where most people are armed and know all their neighbors.

The wrong person, high on what ever, might want more than your TV and a cup of coffee, they might want your life.

I highly suggest you reassess your security protocols, regardless of where you live. It's not paranoia, it's just good common sense self preservation.

I never used to lock my doors. I'm a sizable guy in fairly good shape and not all that easily intimidated, and I always figured I could handle any threat that came my way. Then I got a job in a prison where over the years I met and was exposed to thousands of inmates. Murderers, kidnappers, criminally insane lunatics, desperate junkies who would slit your throat for a ten dollar high, etc.
We only hear about a tiny fraction of violent crimes.....just the sensational ones that make the news. But in reality we live surrounded by evil maniacs.
It's like The Walking Dead only instead of zombies we're living amongst low life scumbags who couldn't care less what they do to someone else as long as they get what they want.
Lock your doors, do your push-ups, carry your weapons, and keep your head on a swivel. You don't have to be paranoid, but you can't really relax either. It's just the way it is.

Open doors are out of date by decades, even out here in rural Kentucky where most people are armed and know all their neighbors.

The wrong person, high on what ever, might want more than your TV and a cup of coffee, they might want your life.

I highly suggest you reassess your security protocols, regardless of where you live. It's not paranoia, it's just good common sense self preservation.
Trust NOBODY should be everyone's thinking

Considering how easy it is to carry a gun even in sweats, there’s no reason to not keep one on you at all times.

Ever since the snow shoveling incident in PA between the two neighbors, I tend to mow my lawn and shovel snow carrying — I’m friendly with all my neighbors, but depending on proximity on the property I could be confronted by someone before I could reasonably make it back inside the house. Even in a good neighborhood with low crime statistics, LOW does not equal ZERO, so that means someone has to be a statistic and I’m not planning on it being my family.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

I have a security laminated glass storm door that has latches that lock into the frame at the top and bottom. We always keep that locked. That way the inside door can be opened to talk to someone but there is still a significant barrier between. We also use a video door bell. If I'm not home the rest of the fam knows to never unlock the storm door for anyone they don't know, if a utility person, salesman, or anyone else comes to the door she tells them "hold on my husband is in the bathroom." closes the inside door, and then calls me and I speak to them through the video door bell so they think I'm home with them. I also keep no soliciting signs and video surveillance/audio video recording posted in two places by the front door to cut down on the door knockers. The signs aren't the most fashionable thing to have on the front porch, but I found the less people ring the doorbell the more "on guard" my family is when someone does do it because it's not a normal thing.

Last edited:
Could you provide some details for us please? Is it an aftermarket film? Professionally applied or DIY? How is the transparency/clarity?

I’m interested… [cheers]
Larson makes it, special order at Lowes, about $400. It is just like a regular full glass storm door, but it has extra latches and the glass is laminated, will take hits from a sledge hammer. Also makes the front door more energy efficient and keeps the weather off of it.

Last edited:
They usually answer the door before I do, beats any doorbell.
Also cuts down on solicitation, if you could believe it.
View attachment 588275
Unless you are a target of the AFT, NOBODY will want to mess with them / you / your place. We've always had Rotties or GSD. Our first Rottie stopped a forced entry and when we got home he was laying against the door with broken latch and dead bolt to keep it shut.

I'll get the Ring camera alert before anyone makes it to any of the entrances, I always know who's there before they ring the bell. Doors are always locked when I'm home, alarm system is set in Home mode once I'm home for the day and stays on until I leave the next day. If I'm expecting a contractor/delivery from someone I don't know personally, I'm carrying. I do not carry when I'm in the house but I have easily accessible guns on all floors. There's a cool new feature on the Ring floodlight camera that announces "Hi, you are being recorded" in a nice female voice, it certainly gets their attention.

Back
Top Bottom