• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting ammunition in airplane

45Badger

NES Member
Are there limits to how much ammunition you can fly with? My sons are home and I figure I can send them home with a stash.

They mostly shoot 9mm and .22LR. How much can they bring home?

Are there limits to how much ammunition you can fly with? My sons are home and I figure I can send them home with a stash.

They mostly shoot 9mm and .22LR. How much can they bring home?
You need to Google the airline policy.
Some have an 11lbs limit.

Although no one weighted my ammo when I went hunting.

Also, unless they purchased a ticket that gives them a free checked bag or their checked bag has enough space left and the airline allows it, it probably isn't worth it. Might be better off purchasing online and having it shipped to their home.

Is there an AC-130 headed their way?

229a78d6a6a00f4e1983540efc0cd745.jpg

Southwest. 11# limit per person. So 22#s and free checked bags.
This is correct, however, keep in mind that there is no requirement to declare ammunition in checked baggage, so as long as your bag is under the 50 lb limit you can probably bring more than 11 lbs per suitcase.

Attachments

• IMG_3434.png
    IMG_3434.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 5
This is correct, however, keep in mind that there is no requirement to declare ammunition in checked baggage, so as long as your bag is under the 50 lb limit you can probably bring more than 11 lbs per suitcase.

TSA requires it:

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

You need to Google the airline policy.
Some have an 11lbs limit.

Although no one weighted my ammo when I went hunting.

Also, unless they purchased a ticket that gives them a free checked bag or their checked bag has enough space left and the airline allows it, it probably isn't worth it. Might be better off purchasing online and having it shipped to their home.
Or just ground ship it to them with LQ labeling, for short money.

TSA requires it:

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration
Good catch, I was just checking the airlines policy, a gotta comply with both the airline, and TSA for sure.

Southwest. 11# limit per person. So 22#s and free checked bags.
If you have a container that works with their policy and they allow it in the checked bag, then go for it.

22lbs is not much, and if you need to buy a container, that adds to the cost of ammo.

My guess will be they will weight the container (if a specific container is required) with the ammo inside, so that will mean less than 22lbs of ammo. Again, I never had anyone ever check how much ammo I was carrying.

I’ve really only ever brought one box of carry ammo to load up the 2 or 3 mags when I got to my travel destination. If I’m going to actually be making a range trip wherever I’m going, I buy online and have it shipped since it will most likely be a case quantity, then I leave what I didn’t shoot with my buddy that I’m visiting. It’s win/win for both of us.

I just got back from Florida. On the return leg, when I went unlock & open the case to show him the unloaded pistol, the gentleman at the ticket counter said "Don't bother, I trust you." Thank you very much....

Was curios so I checked….Delta’s 11lbs limit per person would mean roughly
  • Approximately 370 rounds of 9mm.
  • Approximately 1,996 rounds of .22 caliber

Back
Top Bottom