Transporting question

I'm planning on visiting a friend this summer at his father's farm and we plan to shoot my AR and other items.

My question is what is the legality of me transporting my AR and other pistols to NH? I live in MA so it is just going up 95.

Thanks in advance.

Have a look at http://www.gonh.org/new_hampshire_information for details.

Section 159:4
159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided.

PM me with your email and I'll send you a .doc copy of the NH statutes on firearms.

You have time to get a Non-Res permit - summer is a good ways off. With all the tourists crossing the border from MA, you'll want to be carrying while up here [smile]

MA transport laws are much more strict. Your biggest challenge is getting them through MA across the border into NH. If you transport in complaince with MA law, you're OK once you cross the border too.

In NH, I usually put my rifle in the trunk under a blanket to avoid bumps & jars, cruiser-ready (mag in, bolt closed on an empty chamber, safety on) and sling up from the trunk.

You might want to stop, once across the border into NH, and unlock all your separately locked firearms and ammo, pick up some some post-ban high-cap mags and put flash-hiders, bayo lugs and such on your AR, but that's not required [wink]

Don't forget to look around for a new place to live for when you decide to move on up!

Thanks Mav.

I'll look into the Non-Res Perm.

As for the high caps, bayonet lugs, etc....TRUTH HURTS!

Trust me...I've thought about NH...except for the family and job situations it would be an option.

Thanks again, I'll read through the website!

The bitch of it is, I can't bring a single rifle I own into MA as they all have banned features. Hence I miss all the great NES and other rifle courses and events held in MA. [crying]

I'm thinking to get a "neutered" AR upper for my Bushmaster Shorty, just for shooting in MA.

MaverickNH: you may want to reconsider your transportation method and keep the rifle unloaded.....

RSA 207:7

207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft. –
I. No person shall take or attempt to take wild birds or wild animals from a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile as defined in RSA 215-C:1, boat, aircraft or other craft propelled by mechanical power.
II. No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, whether moving or stationary, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.
III. No person shall have in or on a boat or other craft while being propelled by mechanical power, or in a boat or other craft being towed by a boat or other craft propelled by mechanical power, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.
IV. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying guns in the line of duty.

Our carry permits in NH are "pistol and revolver licenses" and unfortunately do not give us any special "privileges" regarding long guns.

I doubt this law gets applied much except as a tag-on to another offense but I wanted to make sure the laws are clearly known and understood so people can make their decision on how to transport.

Yes - that's well worth pointing out. Thanks.

I recollect this topic coming up in Ayoob's LF1, where the comment was that if your trunk is searched under a search warrant you probably have a lot more to worry about.

But the legal advice would be to comply with the law, which I shall take under advisement. Keeping the mag and rifle separate but nearby would appears to suffice with little sacrifice.

[rant mode on] Just another law restricting firearms under "game law" standards reminiscant of old English game laws which restricted firearms to prevent poaching. Not as bad as National Park Service bans on CCW, but of the same ilk. Government inability to enforce existing laws, violated by a very few lawbreakers, results in prohibitions placed on all other honest people. Otherwise honest folks might get crazed should they see a deer while driving if they have a loaded mag in their rifle, so you need to keep that mag out to avoid temptation. The intent is to prohibit loaded rifles in the gun rack of your truck's cab, but the law goes overboard. [rant mode off]

Back
Top Bottom