• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trip to NH tomorrow with my family

We are taking a trip to NH tomorrow. I would like to stop off and do some target shooting for an hour or so and have been scouting for an area that is legal to shoot in and the cops wont show up to. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this place is legal to shoot at? if not, could anyone tell me an area that we can go to? we will be picking up after ourselves of course. I don't believe in ruining the beauty that is new England. Also, i know it is legal to hunt on non-posted private land. Does that apply to recreational shooting also? Thanks in advance everyone!

The red circled area is just an open spot i found on google maps. Is this an OK spot? its off of Walker Brook rd.
1zeb8fk.png

Res 7301.11 Target Shooting.

(a) No person shall discharge a firearm for the purpose of target shooting within 300 feet of developed recreation areas, including parking lots, administrative and maintenance facilities, dwellings, camps, cabins and yurts, bathhouses, campgrounds, campsites, playgrounds, athletic fields, beaches, pavilions, picnic areas, and boat launches and trails, or within 100 feet of any stream, river, pond, lake or other water body.

(b) Target shooting shall not be permitted at Robert Frost historic site, the Urban Forestry Center, that portion of Odiorne Point state park located on the east side of NH route 1-A, Opechee Bay state forest and Shieling state forest.

(c) Target shooting shall not be permitted from Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend within ¼ mile from developed recreation areas.

(d) Target shooting shall be permitted on the Connecticut Lakes Headwaters Tract in accordance with the public recreation management plan.

(e) Only firearms chambered for rimfire ammunition, center-fire handguns and rifles, muzzleloaders and shotguns shall be permitted, and all shell casings shall be removed daily and disposed of offsite by the user.

(f) Fully jacketed, armor piercing, steel core and tracer ammunition shall be prohibited.

(g) Only targets designed for target shooting shall be used, except explosive target compositions shall be prohibited, and all targets shall be removed daily and disposed of offsite by the user. Shooting glass bottles, household appliances or standing trees is strictly prohibited.

(h) The department shall prohibit target shooting in areas where such activity is permitted when the department determines there is a lack of compliance to this section by users, or the department determines it is necessary under Res 7301.07.

Source. #6167 eff 1-18-96, EXPIRED: 1-18-04

New. #8127, INTERIM, eff 7-27-04, EXPIRED: 1-23-05

New. #8532, eff 1-1-06; ss by #10172, EMERGENCY RULE, eff 8-14-12, EXPIRED: 2-11-13

New. #10532, eff 3-1-14

tl;dr: cops may show up. as long as you're in compliance with the above you should be just fine. i hear people shooting all the time in the area, but most of that is on their own property.

tl;dr: cops may show up. as long as you're in compliance with the above you should be just fine. i hear people shooting all the time in the area, but most of that is on their own property.

Only part im confused on is the ammo. So i could only legally shoot Hollow points?

eh, don't worry about it. have you shot there before though? keep in mind that satellite photo could be several years old.
No i have not shot there before and yeah i suppose you are correct. Do you know of anywhere else to go in the area if i cant go there for some reason? also is it legal to target shoot on private non posted land or only hunt? Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom