true "primitive" firearms

how many of you guys true "primitive" firearms(flintlock and caplock rifles or smoothbore) in the true spirit of the primitive firearms season besides me?.

Last edited:
I built a slingshot the other day, in order to launch a weighted fishing line over a 30' tree branch, to string a dipole antenna. I used an old crutch I had in the basement, and a section of surgical tubing. And I got it over on the first try! All those hours I spent as a kid shooting ball bearings at stuff paid off!

For primitave season & shotgun season it's a .54 TC Renegade caplock with a Patched Round Ball. Open sights.

During archery season I shoot a 66 lb Great Northern Longbow & Cedar Arrows.

T/C .50 cal Hawkins Caplock

T/C .50 cal Hawkins Caplock I built from a kit a long time ago.

I need to get up to the Smelter in Laconia to pick up a few thousand round balls. I sent him my molds a couple of years ago.

Primitive Black Power ( Matchlocke, Flintlocke and Caplocke) (note I spelt it wit olde engish) should have a early season before regular fireams season and run all the way to the end of the year.

Id love to build a 10 GA double caplock for Ducks! Anybody have some water pipe?

Lots of people put down the Muzzleloader but think about it.

You only shoot one shot to kill your Dear,Bear,Moose, Elk or whatver anyway; so what do you really need more than one shot for. Yea a Double Barrel is nice for Ducks & Geese and as a security blanket for Dangerous game. Just get close enough to your target to insure you wont miss. If your gun is only accurate to 20 yards then that is how close you MUST get. No differance than hunting with a Bow & Arows.

Last edited:
how many of you guys true "primitive" firearms(flintlock and caplock rifles or smoothbore) in the true spirit of the primitive firearms season besides me?.

I'm not hunting this year. When I did (and in the future), I'll be using an inline, thank you very much. Best of luck to you.

I'm not hunting this year. When I did (and in the future), I'll be using an inline, thank you very much. Best of luck to you.

thats your choice but i urge you to at least try to shoot game with a flintlock or caplock. it isnt as much as a disadvantage as most people think. when you load up a flintlock poke a channel in the main charge threw the touchhole with a pick and the flinter will go off almost instantly with a properly adjusted lock. if its wet wear a poncho and keep the lock under your jacket.

Last edited:
Thanks but I find deer hunting by itself gives me more more than enough challenge, even with modern arms.

Last edited:
I hope to get out 1 or 2 days deer hunting with my brother before the end of the season. I'll be using my hand me down Traditions .50 cal "Hawken". My brother is heavy into BP and has percussion and flint. He'll prob use his percussion Hawken but he's a flinter at heart though. You should see the flint rifle he built (not a kit).

I hope to get out 1 or 2 days deer hunting with my brother before the end of the season. I'll be using my hand me down Traditions .50 cal "Hawken". My brother is heavy into BP and has percussion and flint. He'll prob use his percussion Hawken but he's a flinter at heart though. You should see the flint rifle he built (not a kit).

the gun i have for cap is a 54 cal renegade and my flinter is a traditions lefty 50cal( you need to be on the correct side with flinters). im hoping to get a older style flinter from track of the wolf before i die most of those custom flintlocks run about 1 grand.

I use the T/C Omega .50 cal.
When I hunt in this weather everything seems to get wet no matter how hard you try to keep things dry. With that said, I like the Omega because it uses #209 shotgun primers that stay hidden behind a seal that does actually do a good job of keeping it dry. Even if the primer gets a little wet you can change it out in a flash. With a flint gun I would imagine that would be a task that I would not be up for.

Back
Top Bottom