• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tumbler & Scale

JonJ

NES Member
I'm finishing the gearing up for reloading and need a tumbler. I have $150 in Bass Pro gift cards so that's where I'm looking. Plus I think I have a code for $10 card with a $50 purchase.
They have the Hornady M-2, RCBS and Lyman Twin Turbo & Turbo 1200. They're all priced around the same. I'm leaning towards the Hornady. It has a separator built into the lid. Good?

I have a RCBS 5-0-5 scale. Is it worth upgrading to this little electronic one or is it junk?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...0202393_425005004_425000000_425005000_425-5-4

You can't go wrong with any of the vibrating cleaners you spec.

Personally, I wouldn't get the digital scale. I have one and don't trust it. Any draft, vibration, flourescent light, etc. will leave you guessing if it is reading correctly.
The 5-0-5 you have will always read correctly. The only upgrade you could make would be to a 10-10 scale, but that is just a degree of excellence.

I'm finishing the gearing up for reloading and need a tumbler. I have $150 in Bass Pro gift cards so that's where I'm looking. Plus I think I have a code for $10 card with a $50 purchase.
They have the Hornady M-2, RCBS and Lyman Twin Turbo & Turbo 1200. They're all priced around the same. I'm leaning towards the Hornady. It has a separator built into the lid. Good?

I have a RCBS 5-0-5 scale. Is it worth upgrading to this little electronic one or is it junk?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...0202393_425005004_425000000_425005000_425-5-4

I'd have to agree with PatMcD that any of those tumblers is pretty much on the same tier.

I have run the Lyman Turbo 1200 without issues for a few thousand rounds.

And as far as the electronic scales go ....go high-end (not susceptible to RF interference, etc.) or don't bother.

You can't go wrong with any of the vibrating cleaners you spec.

Personally, I wouldn't get the digital scale. I have one and don't trust it. Any draft, vibration, flourescent light, etc. will leave you guessing if it is reading correctly.
The 5-0-5 you have will always read correctly. The only upgrade you could make would be to a 10-10 scale, but that is just a degree of excellence.

i agree, i don't trust the electronic scales either. I know by dillon beam scale will give me the same reading everytime once set.

I've got a Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler. It does the job. The media seperator that the Hornady tumbler has would be helpful.

I have a LEE beam scale. Works great. I wouldn't trade it for a digital one.

DON'T get a separator built into the unit. I have one and wished I hadn't paid extra for it.

A media separator will work much better. I ended up with the Dillon media separator after trying the auto-flo stuff first. It was worthless and extremely loud.

Here's my review of the Lyman auto-flo
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65807

Could not agree more!! I had the one with the holes on the lid, think dust.
I now have a Lyman 2500 auto flo, the auto flo feature is almost worthless. I have a small media seperator so I use the auto flo feature to empty a good amount of the media into my jugs and then dump the brass into the seperator. Other than that I really like the big Lyman, works
quick, and I can throw in 1500 45's.

tumbler

i have a frankford arsenal i've used it a lot and so far its doing well.

on the electronic, save your money, get the beam scale, its constantly

accurate.

JimB

I've used a Lyman tumbler for 15+ years without a single problem. Mine doesn't have the media separation feature. I use a strainer & bucket.

i have a frankford arsenal i've used it a lot and so far its doing well.

on the electronic, save your money, get the beam scale, its constantly

accurate.

JimB

+1 on the beam scale. I have been using one for 30 years and have no intention of switching.

Back
Top Bottom