Turkey Gun

depends on what type of turkey gun you want.. a 2 3/4 pheasant load in a mod choke will kill birds at 25 yards your whole life

in my experiance the further you can kill it the higher your odds are of killing more birds.. they dont always run up 20 feet from you.. i wish they would lol

3" turkey mags and a turkey choke are a good all around killing round and most will punch a good distance with exra power than needed 35--40 yards max ranges...

big 3.5" loads with a good quality turkey choke gets verry ammo selective, some rounds shoot ok some good but the gun is probally only going to love 1 outa 10 brands and youll see the differance. haveing the wrong choke and load combo here basically means your only gain is recoil.

sights... with higher power tighter patterning loads. its not that the bead wont due the job, its more your guns zero might change due to the load.. a gun shooting high or low is a problem and it doesnt take much to miss... i use the hi viz tri viz sights and like them... main thing is get sights that clamp on strong.. non of the magnet/stick on sht...

Personally i only shoot turkey's with 3.5" -2oz. number4's through a extra full choke. There tuff bird's but i've put down a couple nice one's at 50 and 55 yards with this recipe for dead birds. You'll have a sore shoulder while taking some pattern shots, but you wont feel a thing but exitment when that turkey rolls.

That is good info right there it only takes one bb in the head to win. The name of the game is bb inthe head none in the breast. You got to pattern your gun

when i patterened my gun, #4 #5 #6 shot loads of everything turkey mag wasnt cheap, the recoil when patterning it wasnt the problem there... i got it all when i got the gun so ivintory has lasted me 3 choke tube upgrades and 2 friends..

first year factory full, federal flight controle 3.5"

second year upgrade to a carlsons turkey choke, remington #5 was the winner...

now im shooting a Kicks gobling thunder with winchester #5 the winner, that one stuffs a real nice pattern...

all those combos were good out to 50 yards with the federal and full choke being the min,,, i think i get 4-5 head hits... the carlsons put 8-10 kill hits and the kicks is putting 15-18 real goodkill hits!! with a nice area pattern..

most turkey guns are coming with a little bit shorter of barrels
they do just as good if not better due to the shot getting out faster, the gun has less recoil time while the shot is still in the barrel... i don't know the length my barrel but with the extened choke, its a big gun... if getting a new gun for turkey, go with the standared turkey specs, i think thats 24-26" or something, make life easyer... i got cheap deal on mine so i wasnt all to picky about the long barrel but i would like a shorter barrel while hunting.. the extra barrel in tukey woods, to me its just extra baggage.

benelli, beretta, remington, mossberg, browning, beretta.. all good guns doesnt matter between them take a pick... browning i think is one of the only ones making a double barrel turkey gun in the cintori line.. outa of them all the lowest kick is the decked out expensive benelli super black eagle, with the berettas extrema2 being a close second, the hardest kicker is the benelli nova.

My first turkey gun was a Hew England Firearms NWTF 10 ga. with an extra full choke and 18 or 20"bbl, after finding the right load #6's liked best and a very sore shoulder, I would take birds consistently out to 55yds. Even took one at less than 10 feet once, fine red mist in the sunlight. It was pretty....Went to a Rem 870 12 ga. with extra full choke later on, it liked the #5's best and is still a proven performer out to 40yds max. With todays blinds and camo apparell, it's alot easier to bring the birds in closer than ever.

Back
Top Bottom