Turning 21. When can I apply for an LTC?

Thankfully I live in a "green" town that has issued LTC-A ALP's to my entire family without hassle. On my next birthday, I will be 21. So I was wondering if I would be able to apply early so I have my LTC by my birthday? If so, how early could I apply and is there anything I should know about doing so? I already have my FID so I have been through the process already.

Look at your home safety course/ hunter safety course certificate and make sure you have LTC checked off. I had my HSC certificate done when I was 19 and got my FID card. FID was checked on it and I had to retake the course so I could get the LTC certificate. I'd call the PD and make an appointment on your birthday or any day after that. I made my appointment for the day after I turned 21. The X amount of weeks you are waiting for you LTC to come in will be most agonizing weeks of your life if you truly love firearms and that's a promise. Welcome aboard.

Woot! Happy B-Day!

I'm sure you could have all the paperwork done and the appt scheduled, but as far as having the LTC as a bday present I'm gonna say probably not. Even if your local PD would take the paperwork and interview you, the state wouldn't entertain your application unless you're 21. I'd say talk to your town's LO and see what they say.

I'm sure you could have all the paperwork done and the appt scheduled, but as far as having the LTC as a bday present I'm gonna say probably not. Even if your local PD would take the paperwork and interview you, the state wouldn't entertain your application unless you're 21. I'd say talk to your town's LO and see what they say.

Good info right there. Call or visit the station and talk to the LO. You'll get your best answer that way.
Also, (don't take this the wrong way) happy last exciting birthday ever! They're all "meh" from here on out. [cheers]

Last edited:
Apply ASAP, and it should work out better since you have had an FID. Congrats and Happy Birthday! Enjoy the LTC when you get it :)

happy last exciting birthday ever! They're all "meh" from here on out.

I have to respectfully disagree. My 21st was a blast but I've had even better ones in my late 20's. It's all about the attitude.

I applied for my LTC on my 21st birthday (already had the FID) and it came in the mail, no restrictions, all by itself in a simple envelope 2 weeks later to the day. You'll probably never see anyone get their's that quickly anymore. (That was pre-9/11).

Before you do anything, make sure it's something you want to do, and that at least you think you could pull the trigger if you had to. If you do go ahead, good luck to you.

Some people can't handle the responsibility of carrying a firearm.

Sibb is making it sound like he is one of those people.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We'll see how it goes.

If my family or I were in danger of our lives, I would not hesitate using a carry gun to stop that threat, period.

Some people can't handle the responsibility of carrying a firearm.

Sibb is making it sound like he is one of those people.

No not at all, damn did I come off like that? I don't even know the guy. He said his whole family has LTCs so I just wanted to make sure it's something he wanted to do, and if so good luck to him.

No not at all, damn did I come off like that? I don't even know the guy. He said his whole family has LTCs so I just wanted to make sure it's something he wanted to do, and if so good luck to him.

It seems I have misunderstood you. My apologies.

There's no reason you have to wait until your birthday to get the paperwork moving. You can't actually get the license until your birthday, but if the PD will accept your application you might be able to pick up your license on your birthday as a special present to yourself. My daughter did the application ahead of time and got her original LTC on her 21st birthday.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom