U.S M8AI PWH bayonet

je25ff

NES Member
My step-father's bayonet is in pretty good condition considering the age and use but the crossguard is bent and slides up and down. Anyone have one? Is there a way to fix it so it doesn't slide up and down? I've looked at pictures on google and there doesn't seem to be anything that's holding the crossguard in place other than it's shape. Here's a few pictures

IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg

I'm thinking I'll need to use a vice, hammer, and a blow torch to try to get it to be straight and not jiggle.

if he carried it in combat, I'd leave it as is

He was/is a Marine on boats ready to invade Cuba (literally) but did his time before Vietnam started so it didn't see combat. I am stopping myself from doing a molle conversion or something of it. I think I'll just add it to my cold war gear collection. I just want to get the crossguard back to normal.

On another note, check this shit out. This is from my step-father's 'uncle' who was in Army intel in WW2 of some kind. I just got his crypto bag!

IMG_0218.jpg

full.jpg

http://cryptomuseum.com/crypto/hagelin/m209/index.htm

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
It looks as if the leather grip has been pushed up the tang. Perhaps the bayonet was stuck hard into something and hammered out, bending the cross piece and pushing the grip up. Is the grip sloppy on the tang?

It looks as if the leather grip has been pushed up the tang. Perhaps the bayonet was stuck hard into something and hammered out, bending the cross piece and pushing the grip up. Is the grip sloppy on the tang?

That grip is full wood, or at least some kind of composite. Not sure. Perhaps it's missing a piece of the grip that covers the tang?

Edit: No, the grip itself is really sturdy and doesn't rotate or slip or anything.

Last edited:
The guard is bent to prevent your hand from sliding forward enough to cut yourself when thrusting aggressively. For the time, very Marine of him.

That actually looks like a leather handled M4 bayonet for the M1 Carbine. The sheath is an M8A1 which was used for the M4, M5 (Garand), M6 (M14), and M7 (M16) bayonets. If it is an issue bayonet, the nomenclature should be in the lower part of the cross guard. In picture 3, it appears that some of the leather washers are actually gone, hence the large space between where the cross guard would rest at the base of the blade, and the first leather washer. So if you straighten it, the cross guard will still slide in a pretty measurable way.

Last edited:
My step-father's bayonet is in pretty good condition considering the age and use but the crossguard is bent and slides up and down. Anyone have one? Is there a way to fix it so it doesn't slide up and down? I've looked at pictures on google and there doesn't seem to be anything that's holding the crossguard in place other than it's shape. Here's a few pictures

View attachment 172323
View attachment 172324
View attachment 172325

I'm thinking I'll need to use a vice, hammer, and a blow torch to try to get it to be straight and not jiggle.

4 million plus of those scabbards where made in PA by Blind or partially blind people....
The bayonet looks like it's missing some leather?
I'm not to knowing of bayonets and only starting to acquire some examples for my surplus rifles.
I think you have a M4 bayonet there....I,think the tang/shank is only pressed in place and staked.? Is that a later okc ?

Last edited:
That actually looks like a leather handled M4 bayonet for the M1 Carbine. The sheath is an M8A1 which was used for the M4, M5 (Garand), M6 (M14), and M7 (M16) bayonets. If it is an issue bayonet, the nomenclature should be in the lower part of the cross guard. In picture 3, it appears that some of the leather washers are actually gone, hence the large space between where the cross guard would rest at the base of the blade, and the first leather washer. So if you straighten it, the cross guard will still slide in a pretty measurable way.

Yup, stacked leather like a Ka-Bar. What's missing are about two pieces of leather that flare back out to support the cross guard. No idea how you'd fix that; you need a spacer of some sort, but I don't know of a way to slide one on properly because you can't remove the existing leather washers.

Straighten the guard carefully with a ball-peen hammer. It's how the .mil would have done it.

Personally, I'd leave it alone.

All good tips. Interesting that the bayonet may be mismatched with the sheath. I'd almost prefer to leave it the way it is, then. I am not sure if I'd make the crossguard worse if I bang on it.

All good tips. Interesting that the bayonet may be mismatched with the sheath. I'd almost prefer to leave it the way it is, then. I am not sure if I'd make the crossguard worse if I bang on it.

Not a mismatch. The M8A1 is the designation for the sheath. The bayonets all had their own designation, I.e. M4, M5, M6, or M7. The earlier sheaths, M6 (leather) and M8 (no wire hanger) were also used to carry the M3 fighting knife, which used the same basic blade as the M4-M7 bayonets.

Not a mismatch. The M8A1 is the designation for the sheath. The bayonets all had their own designation, I.e. M4, M5, M6, or M7. The earlier sheaths, M6 (leather) and M8 (no wire hanger) were also used to carry the M3 fighting knife, which used the same basic blade as the M4-M7 bayonets.

Ahh gotcha. This blade is Kiffe Japan (so I'm doubting it's from WW2 [rofl]) and that's all the markings there are. I am going to see if I can get it to fit my period M1 carbine and M1 Garand. That would be really cool.

Ah.

I hadn't looked at your last pic. The Kiffe bayonets are non-GI commercial copies made, according to Gary Cunningham, during the early '60s when CMP was selling off surplus m1 carbines.

The sheath is probably GI; they sold them with the Kiffes until they ran out, then made copies. Sale price was $2.50-$5.00, about twenty bucks now. I doubt you'd get even that from a knowledgeable buyer today. Google is your friend here; Kiffe is a well-researched subject.

Sorry if that's bad news. Other than sentimental value, I wouldn't spend any time on this. The Army certainly never owned or used it, nor the Marines.

Last edited:
Ah.

I hadn't looked at your last pic. The Kiffe bayonets are non-GI commercial copies made, according to Gary Cunningham, during the early '60s when CMP was selling off surplus m1 carbines.

The sheath is probably GI; they sold them with the Kiffes until they ran out, then made copies. Sale price was $2.50-$5.00, about twenty bucks now. I doubt you'd get even that from a knowledgeable buyer today. Google is your friend here; Kiffe is a well-researched subject.

Sorry if that's bad news. Other than sentimental value, I wouldn't spend any time on this. The Army certainly never owned or used it, nor the Marines.

Yeah, I found this

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/m4_thru_m7_series/m4_m7_series_p1.html

I'll check with my step-father and see. Maybe his older son has the original or it's somewhere else.

Edit: as for the crypto bag, I'm 99% positive it saw action because of the owner (with his name on top) He wrote a book about his time in Army intelligence in WW2 (or w/e it was officially called) Also, in my step father's defense, all he told me was that there was a bayonet and bag in a box if I wanted them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I found this

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/m4_thru_m7_series/m4_m7_series_p1.html

I'll check with my step-father and see. Maybe his older son has the original or it's somewhere else.

Edit: as for the crypto bag, I'm 99% positive it saw action because of the owner (with his name on top) He wrote a book about his time in Army intelligence in WW2 (or w/e it was officially called) Also, in my step father's defense, all he told me was that there was a bayonet and bag in a box if I wanted them.

I remeber not long ago the post war bayonets and Vietnam era stuff was plentiful and cheap Bins of them at local sporting goods stores. I remeber clearly when my dad was in the reserves late 70s early 80s armory also had bins of this stuff that would find its way to the dumpster....Sadly all the gear my dad had was either lost or stolen over the years and the remaining was lost in a hunting cabin fire...I got a few alice pack items left and thats it. to bad this stuff is not as cheap as then.

I remeber not long ago the post war bayonets and Vietnam era stuff was plentiful and cheap Bins of them at local sporting goods stores. I remeber clearly when my dad was in the reserves late 70s early 80s armory also had bins of this stuff that would find its way to the dumpster....Sadly all the gear my dad had was either lost or stolen over the years and the remaining was lost in a hunting cabin fire...I got a few alice pack items left and thats it. to bad this stuff is not as cheap as then.

That reminds me. My dad (he retired a Col./Army years ago) gave me a jungle pack. I used it in college for books and such and some A$$HOLE stole it.

I'm still looking for some authentic cold war era gas masks (the hood type with circular eye holes) not the "M17-ish" type, the full hood one (I suppose that's technically chemical gear), if anyone is selling or has one. I have some cold war era arctic gear that is awesome. I'm working so I'll google and post in a bit.

Last edited:
That crypto bag is very cool, does it still have the gear or just the bag??

I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but it's just the bag. If it had the crypto machine and deciphers and stuff that would be so epic.

I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but it's just the bag. If it had the crypto machine and deciphers and stuff that would be so epic.

Call up a guy named E. Snowden, over in Moscow; he's good at getting hard-to-find crypto stuff, I hear.

So,basically you would need to unpeen the latch on the heel end of the tang and slide some new leather washers on there. Compress it and reinstall the latch and peen it
Funny design really seems overly complicated vs just pinning some cheap handles on like other bayonets ?
Any how good luck and if you do any repairs post it

So,basically you would need to unpeen the latch on the heel end of the tang and slide some new leather washers on there. Compress it and reinstall the latch and peen it
Funny design really seems overly complicated vs just pinning some cheap handles on like other bayonets ?
Any how good luck and if you do any repairs post it

Yeah, I might as well repair it since it's a CMP knock off.

Back
Top Bottom