UK Handgun ban, crime and target shooting...

Found this very interesting...

http://www.glossover.co.uk/rts/thingstodo-thefacts.asp

Nice quote from the writer:

"One thing I can tell you is that before the ban there was 50,000 FAC holders with pistols (many had more than 2-3 pistols under their ownership) in their homes for sports use, if we where all such dangers to society you would expect the number of gun related offences to fall after the ban."

It's so bad that the UK Pistol team has to go to Switzerland to practice. With the UK hosting the 2012 Olympics, questions have been raised in Parliament:

Stephen Crabb Conservative MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire asked:

"To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what recent representations he has received on arrangements for target pistol shooters to train and compete in the UK; and if he will make a statement."

Gerry Sutcliffe Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Culture, Media & Sport and Labour MP for Bradford South replied:

"I have had no recent meeting to discuss the issue of Olympic target pistol shooters. This issue is being taken forward by colleagues at the Home Office who have secured agreement in principle from the Ministry of Defence on use of their ranges by a small squad of elite pistol shooters. Home Office Ministers have also agreed to allow a small number of elite shooters to possess their pistols at home for 'dry training', subject to satisfactory checks under section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968."

My emphasis added.

Can you imagine this? [hmmm]

Time for a revolution. The police aren't armed. They have clubs.

Take a stroll round London and that will change your view of the average British cop... Last fall I saw a police woman walking by Buckingham Palace with a male partner. He had a sidearm, she was carrying an HKMP5

Take a stroll round London and that will change your view of the average British cop... Last fall I saw a police woman walking by Buckingham Palace with a male partner. He had a sidearm, she was carrying an HKMP5
Seems a little excessive since there is no possibility of an armed criminal there.

[smile]

Woa woa woa.... After the banning of all firearms in the UK more criminals got guns?! How is that possible, there is no more supply!? [rolleyes][rolleyes]

They get them from other countries with lax firearms laws. This is why we need NATO to step in and enforce global gun control. Once there are no more guns in the world, we will have achieved utopia.

They get them from other countries with lax firearms laws. This is why we need NATO to step in and enforce global gun control. Once there are no more guns in the world, we will have achieved utopia.

All joking aside, it's worse than I thought. In the UK , all firearms licences were directly linked to the specific handguns / rifles that the licence holder owned...so the police knew exactly what you had in the safe. It made confiscation so easy, is all they had to do was wait for you to show up and check off the guns they knew you had...

All joking aside, it's worse than I thought. In the UK , all firearms licences were directly linked to the specific handguns / rifles that the licence holder owned...so the police knew exactly what you had in the safe. It made confiscation so easy, is all they had to do was wait for you to show up and check off the guns they knew you had...

Jesus, that is bad! Sounds like Massachusetts with the FA-10 forms! The cops here pretty much know about everything I have in the safe!

Heres' the scoop form a guy in the UK on the situation:

"Simply put: no cartridge-loading guns under 12" barrel or 24" overall length, no self-loading or pump-action rifled guns other than .22 rimfire. No self-loading or pump-action shotguns under 24" barrel/40" overall length. No self-contained air cartridge guns. No expanding/exploding ammunition (hollow-points/softpoints/ballistic tips) without special hunting/pest control permission. Firearms and ammunition (except shot shells) must be sent to registered dealers (no mail order), including air guns. No keeping of a firearm for defense of self/home etc. No concealed carry except for senior polticians, police etc. Complete registration and lisencing of all firearms except air guns (they're working on that one though...). Quantity limits on ammunition (except shot-shell). Firearms must usually be used regularly or you lose them (except shotguns)."

What a mess

Back
Top Bottom