UMass Hospital Considered College Campus??

I have been wondering if the UMass Hospital in Shrewsbury would be considered a college campus and hence CCW not allowed there??

I bring my kids there a lot (emergency room, doctor's appointments, etc.).

It seems like it may be a big gray area. I know parts of it are the University of Massachusetts Medical School. But all of it?

It would be really unsettling to know it was a campus and couldn't ccw. Especially in the ER (if you've been there and sat there for 1/2 a day you know what I mean.)

That question has been raised here before, but IIRC, none of us knew for sure.

Gray area at best, perhaps forbidden area.

Welcome to the Gray Area.

Is every "teaching" environment a "school"?

Is every "property" of a 'school' a campus?

These are questions that the courts have not ruled on.

Do you wish to be a test case?

Keep it hidden, keep it safe.

The answer to the first question is probably clear, since Massachusetts requires all "schools" to be licensed by either the Board of Education or the Board of Higher Education (formerly the Higher Education Coordinating Council, formerly the Board of Regents of Higher Education). The second one is the question that would likely provide someone with the opportunity to become a footnote in Massachusetts case law.

Ken

I was thinking it was a gray area, but hoping it wasn't.

Len, I did try to look this one up after I posted two dupes yesterday. Nothing came up though.

Seems unfair, at best, that it would be illegal at a public place like a hospital in which you may be forced to go under emergency, carried in, etc. A trip there is not always planned. You don't have to go on college campuses but some of us have to go to their ER. But, our laws are anything but fair.

I looking a bit deeper they do call the Shrewsbury location the "University Campus."

From their Medical Center website:
Our Medical Center and its parent organization, UMass Memorial Health Care, are the clinical partner of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

UMass Memorial Medical Center, comprised of three hospital campuses - University, Memorial and Hahnemann - is the clinical partner of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

From the Medical School website:
UMMS, located in Worcester, is one of five University of Massachusetts campuses.

The school's site's map of the "Main campus" certainly includes the hospital, the ER, and the parking garage.

Plus, the school and the medical center carry the same main address - 55 Lake Avenue North.

Upon further review, it looks to me to be a no-no...

If I may add some info,
The University Campus is in Worcester. It is both the UMass Medical School and UMassMemorial Hospital. The hospital is not part of the medical school. The Hoagland -Pincus Center in Shrewsbury is part of the medical school. I used to be employed by the medical school but when Umass and Memorial merged we became Umasmemorial Healthcare employees. The hospital is owned and operated by a private corporation. The old Worcester City Hospital is called the City Campus, everything UMMHC owns is called a campus but is only affiliated clinically to the med school.
The UMass college police patrol the University Campus but no where else in the system.

Hello all. New to Northeastshooters.

I'm just curious, why does it matter if Umass Med Center is a school or not. If you have a MA LTC then aren't you covered by the exception in the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 or is there a MA law that states otherwise?

The only thing I can find is MGL Chapter 269: Section 10 which has an exemption for the MA LTC. Or does that only apply to Section 10(a)? And not to Section 10(j)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The only thing I can find is MGL Chapter 269: Section 10 which has an exemption for the MA LTC. Or does that only apply to Section 10(a)? And not to Section 10(j)?
A MA LTC does not exempt one from 269 sec 10(j). You need LEO credentials; permission from the school; or diplomatic immunity status as a representative from a nation with which the US State Department has an immunity agreement.

The operative words of section 10(j) are: "in any building or on the grounds of". Traditionally, absent a contrary definition or clear contextual signal to the contrary, this phrase implies realty of which the subject entity is presently in exclusive possession, that is to say, either owns in fee or occupies as a tenant. So I would ask: who owns the buildings comprising the Medical Center and the land on which they sit?

I believe parts of the Medical School are actually in the same building, or in connected sections of the same building, as the Medical Center/ER.

So I would ask: who owns the buildings comprising the Medical Center and the land on which they sit?

Good point. The three big medical schools in Boston are right in the midst of their affiliated hospitals. At one time, the universities owned the hospitals, but I think that has changed a bit due to financial considerations. It could very well be that the schools have title to the property even if they don't operate the hospitals which reside thereon.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom