• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unlocked and Loaded - Firearms Storage

MaverickNH

NES Member
I've been reviewing a series of papers from notorious gun-grabbers fro California & Massachusetts - manuscripts that *will* be published in biomedical journals as they support gun control. The best I can do is recommend limitations and caveats, with those rarely added in the final publication.

This paper looks at a 2019 national survey of firearm owners (n=2950) and finds three classes of gun owner views on firearms storage:

(1) owners who believe that guns unconditionally make the home safer and should generally be readily accessible (47%);

(2) owners who believe that whether guns make homes safer or less safe depends on context (34%);

(3) owners who believe that guns do not pose a risk if stored safely (19%).

In adjusted models, compared with owners in class 1, those in classes 2 and 3 were less likely to store guns loaded and unlocked [unloaded/locked] (class 2: OR 0.30, 95% CI 0.23 to 0.39; class 3: OR 0.23, 95% CI 0.16 to 0.32). In essence, those that believe guns need to be accessible for home safety (47%) are less likely to store guns unloaded and locked. Well duh - if you're concerned about home fires you don't keep an empty fire extinguisher in the garden shed.

A new manuscript I'm reviewing now finds 74.8% of gun owners nationwide keep at least 1 firearm accessible for self-defense (loaded and either locked or unlocked).

These data do not parse well with the gun controllers' surveys that 80%+ want more restrictive gun laws, eh? They can spin their statistics, but gun owners fight back.

Too many people have already drank the kool-aid. The responsibility that comes with firearms ownership is not something to take lightly, but the “spin” is out of control. The level of risk acceptable is going to differ based on an individual’s own profile, but their right to ownership should not be inhibited. At least in my opinion.

CG

Loaded and locked is strangely illegal in mASS. OTOH, I'm surprised we are allowed to keep a firearm, the ammo AND the firing mechanism of said firearm in the same zip-code. Because we can't be trusted with guns like other states. We are a Commonwealth of morons, apparently.

Loaded and locked is strangely illegal in mASS. OTOH, I'm surprised we are allowed to keep a firearm, the ammo AND the firing mechanism of said firearm in the same zip-code. Because we can't be trusted with guns like other states. We are a Commonwealth of morons, apparently.

Not challenging but can you cite that? Where does it say locked and loaded is illegal?

Gotta disagree with you on loaded storage, Dennis.

Section 131L: Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. It shall be unlawful to store or keep any stun gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container accessible only to the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

Are you perhaps mixing that up with S131C?

Section 131C: Carrying of firearms in a vehicle
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

BZZT, Alex I will take MA Gun Myths for $600 please

Storage does not care about loaded or unloaded, only locked (either in container or with trigger device). I have locked containers FILLED with loaded guns. What is the point otherwise?

@KMM696 correctly references the correct law for storage

49aqy4.jpg

Storage does not care about loaded or unloaded, only locked (either in container or with trigger device). I have locked containers FILLED with loaded guns. What is the point otherwise?

Same here. We use a Vline Closet Vault quick-access safe. The 12 gauge 870 combat shotgun and the Mini 14 inside are both fully loaded, with extra 10 round magazines, also fully loaded, right next to the weapons. MA legal storage.

Same. Locked in the case and then locked in the safe. My wife doesn’t even know the codes and the dogs don’t have opposable thumbs.

Same. Locked in the case and then locked in the safe. My wife doesn’t even know the codes and the dogs don’t have opposable thumbs.
You should up your safety protocols. Bury the safe in the back yard in a concrete cocoon. It’s the only way to be sure.

I jest of course. I’m sorry the PRM prisoners.

Back
Top Bottom