UPDATE POST 39 Help!! I'm Jonesin' for P238

Goodness gracious!! You guys are so helpful.

I think I'll stick to my Shield and 642 revolver for my small concealed carry guns. The misses needs new tires on her car anyway. Better to give her tires than to receive a P238 for me.

Goodnight ladies.

Lots of people bought Pinto's too...

Just messing with you, not a fan of S&W unless it's a revolver.

Agree.
i actually loath S&W. Not even a fan of there revolvers.
for me, the only worthwhile auto from S&W is the shield. The rest of their products I say meh and their CS I say yuck.

Agree.
i actually loath S&W. Not even a fan of there revolvers.
for me, the only worthwhile auto from S&W is the shield. The rest of their products I say meh and their CS I say yuck.

Me either. Although I was given a nickel and stainless S&W Model 36 in 38spl, they are awesome. I wouldn't buy any though. For how easy they are to obtain in MA, I wish I liked M&P handguns but I just can't. The Shield is great with a trigger but I prefer my XDs and G19. Sr9c sometimes..

Can't speak for what you'll get in MA, but the free-state version is really nice. Little tiny 1911. Basically zero complaints with the sport version out of the box.

Bought the Sports version at Shooter's, has about a 10# trigger that bites my finger. A 1911 trigger pulls straight back, the P238 pivots on a pin at the top. I don't have fat fingers, but it pinches mine between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard.

Im not a fan of it. It doesnt fit my hand well. Additionally, i cant stand the bore axis on that firearm. The firearm not fitting my hand well, and the high bore axis, makes it a very un-shootable gun for me.

What you find comfortable may be completely different than what i find comfortable though. YMMV

Well, the wife will have to wait for new tires. I went over to Collector's in Stoneham and picked up a P238 Rosewood Grips and nightsights. It was $590 including paying the Governor. They had limited 380 ammo so I got two boxes there and drove up to Riley's and Shooter's Outpost for more. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Hope the wife doesn't get a flat tire though.

Last edited:
I got a used p238 (my first gun) at FS a few months ago. One of the newer ones, I forget the manufacture date but some time in early 2013. Rosewood finish, came with Hogue and wood grips. A couple things:

-Mine has some difficulty with manually cycling hollow points, particularly federal hydra-shoks. This is only a practical issue if you carry condition 3, and in my experience can almost always be overcome with racking the slide really, really hard, but still...sometimes it doesn't like to chamber the first HP. once it's shooting, though, it eats everything so far without issue.

-those rosewood grips are great for low-profile, the Hogue grips are a touch nicer to shoot IMO. the Hogues plus the extended mag is really nice.

-after i bought an extended mag from Sig, i heard that the Mustang mags work just as well at half the price. whoops.

-better have a hex wrench, because those grips screws WILL back out.

I got a used p238 (my first gun) at FS a few months ago. One of the newer ones, I forget the manufacture date but some time in early 2013. Rosewood finish, came with Hogue and wood grips. A couple things:

-Mine has some difficulty with manually cycling hollow points, particularly federal hydra-shoks. This is only a practical issue if you carry condition 3, and in my experience can almost always be overcome with racking the slide really, really hard, but still...sometimes it doesn't like to chamber the first HP. once it's shooting, though, it eats everything so far without issue.

-those rosewood grips are great for low-profile, the Hogue grips are a touch nicer to shoot IMO. the Hogues plus the extended mag is really nice.

-after i bought an extended mag from Sig, i heard that the Mustang mags work just as well at half the price. whoops.

I would recommend just putting a drop of the blue, or purple loctite on the screws to keep them from backing out. I forgot which color it is, but I think it is the purple that is made for small diameter screws and is removable (which you definitely want for grips).

Sig grip screws generally come with some single use thread locker on them. If you remove them but don't replace the thread locker they do tend to back out, especially on guns with wood grips.

Easy fix:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/15/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

I like the 238. Nice little backup / carry gun especially if you're used to a 1911.

I would recommend just putting a drop of the blue, or purple loctite on the screws to keep them from backing out. I forgot which color it is, but I think it is the purple that is made for small diameter screws and is removable (which you definitely want for grips).

Beat me to it. I use blue.

Back
Top Bottom