update post 6 CCI SV Lot variation - My Appleseed prep experience

In a practice session for the upcoming Appleseed, I ran into a problem with my rifle with a dedicated .22 AR upper. Suddenly I could not shoot it for anything. (Meanwhile I was cruising along comfortably with my 10-22)

Put the rifle on the bench, and I was shooting 1.5 inch groups at 25M. Rot Roh. Went home, checked everything, tightened everything, cleaned it and back to the range. Same old 'stuff', I could not buy a group. (this rifle usually shoots about .5 inch at 25M.) Checked the 10-22, still fine.

Now for each rifle, I have an ammo box that I take to the range. Mags, sling, small tools specific to that rifle, and the ammo I plan to use. I ran out of ammo in the .22 ar box, and grabbed a box of ammo from the 10-22 box. You guessed it, problem solved. AR was shooting like a dream again.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So I go home and inventory the vault, how many different lots of CCI SV do I have? (I had kept empty box of "bad ammo" to get the lot number.)

Ignoring the lots of two boxes from the Obama years when you could only buy two (most of which is already shot up), I had 12 lots of CCI SV. Mfg lots are from 2015 to 2018.

Plus I had one lovely 50 round box of the suspect bad lot left. I color code all the lots, make up some targets with color coded 3/4 inch dots for targets, headed back to the range and I shot two five shot group from each lot. If I considered a human error in a shot from either of the first two groups, I fired a third. No sight corrections were made through out the test. All shooting done at 25 yards.

THE GOOD
the first good news was 10 of the 12 new lots tested I would use to shoot a match. The elevation of all the lots with in the upper half of the 3/4 inch dot, I would use them all without a sight adjustment when switching lots. (more variation from my prone, sitting, standing than lot change) In all the good lots, 4 if not five of the bullets contacted the dot. The good lots were 0.5 inch plus or minus .1 inch and the plus is usually me. The sample from the 1000 round lot I got last week at four seasons was fine.

THE BAD
So I did shoot the known "bad" lot three times. To begin, in the middle, and at the end of the test. The smallest of the three groups measured 1.1 inches and not even one of the five bullets in that 'group" hit the intended dot. Lot number of that lot is A02Y90. I can't say where I bought it, but I can say since I acquired any of this ammo it had been in the same controlled temp and humidity storage.

And THE UGLY
So for the two lots I would not shoot a match with, one I am going to retest, because it reviewing the results the group size was a little larger that norm, but for whatever reason I did not shoot a second or third group, and as it was the last lot of the day it may have been me. I suspect it will be fine.

The one UGLY lot was E15X02. The group were .6 to .7", fairly consistently. I shot four initial groups. I later followed up with three more groups with same result. What made it UGLY was I had four failure to fires in the first twenty rounds, and two more is the following up 15. So six out of 35 rounds failed to fire. All seemed to have good firing pin strikes, and all six fired when struck a second time. What really condemned this lot was I had a box if it in my 10-22 kit, and that I had starting using. Only 10 rounds used but I had written a note on the box, "watch for misfires" so I must have had at least one with the same lot in the 10-22. It should be noted that the misfires with the lot were the only misfires that occurred during testing. I will say that the larger groups size could be a loss of my concentration from all the misfires.

My intention with this lot is to burn it up in practice. I should get plenty of practice in emergency action drills to clear that weapon when shooting for score on the clock.

Last edited:
Great post! I'm not a precision 22lr shooter but I have a bull barrel 10-22 that shoots CCI SV very well. Never thought much about lot numbers as I just plink with it. I've got a case of CCI SV that I bought in 2011 or 2012 and still haven't shot it yet. I just don't shoot much 22 as of late.

Great info, great test and great write up.
If Im shooting an AQT with my dedicated .22 AR upper and my score sucks, I just figure its me. Would you now recommend testing each lot before you trust it to be accurate?

Any thought of doing the same test with your Ruger 10-22 and see if the results are the same with each lot?
That would remove the gun itself from the equation.

Would you now recommend testing each lot before you trust it to be accurate?

Any thought of doing the same test with your Ruger 10-22 and see if the results are the same with each lot?
That would remove the gun itself from the equation.

I will certainly will test each lot before I use it going forward, at least for immediate future. Two five shot groups -only 10 rounds. The practice where things went south on me I went through 120 rounds (3 x40 round AQTs) with Cook scores before I decided there was a problem.

I hadn’t thought of testing in the Ruger. Good idea. I already have data on two good lots in Ruger and they were same as in AR. I will certainly test the Bad and Ugly lots in Ruger. Maybe the Ruger has a bit more snot in firing pin strike and misfires will go away?

IMG_4549.JPG

So taking Cap'n Mikes suggestion, retested some lots with the 10-22.

Generally the accuracy of the lots were the same regardless of the rifle. (five shot groups ranged from .30 to .44 (excluding one flyer that was me), even with flyer worst was .57

THE BAD LOT-
Was still bad in the 10-22. Shot two five shots group, both exceeded 1.4 inch "group" at 25 yards.

THE UGLY LOT
well, I have to revise my opinion on this lot. First, reshooting it for group in either rifle it fell within the norm, so I was probably right in my initial assessment that the misfires hurt my concentration on initial test for accuracy. In the AR, this lot continued to have misfires today. I did get the first twelve off without a hitch, then back to hurt city. 5 of 40 needed a second strike with the AR.

HOWEVER, the same lot ran flawlessly in the Ruger. I ran 80 rounds (two appleseed targets) through it without a misfire. (233 and 223 for scores) So something with my AR and this lot (I reshot 10 shots of six other lotstoday without a problem).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom