"Upgrade" MA LTC to CT LTC?

This probably has a "yes" or "no" answer, but I haven't found it yet.

I have a few non-resident permits and a MA resident LTC-A.

Way back when I took the class with John L. at S&W, I was so wiped out that day that I didn't hang in there for the extra hour to also get the certificate to enable me to get the CT LTC.

Silly.

I am assuming that CT will not accept my MA info for a non-res permit as it would mean I was shy 60 minutes of instruction.

Now, I find myself traveling through and staying in CT often.

Is there any (easy, simple) way to "upgrade" my MA LTC to CT?

Sorry if I'm missing something here. No one has ever been confused by MA firearms regulations, I'm sure...

Thanks.

You can't "upgrade" a permit from one state to another.

You can get a CT non-resident permit. They do require an NRA Basic Pistol class:

What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294484

Thanks, M1911--Yeah, I guess I just assumed that CT wouldn't accept the "LTC-005" as equivalent to "no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course" "

Massachusetts & Connecticut Carry Permit (LTC)
This program approved by and on file with the Massachusetts State Police as
"LTC-005" and with the Connecticut Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit as Smith & Wesson's "10 Hour CT LTC".
(From the S&W site)

I was content to send in $ and copies of paperwork to get non-res permits from other states. I was hoping to get away with just doing that for CT as well, without essentially retaking a ten-hour class.

Last edited:
I have always used the exact same class certificate for my permits with no issues. It was given by a state police certified instructor, I did it once and have a hand full of certificate copies around someplace that I use, never a problem.

I have always used the exact same class certificate for my permits with no issues. It was given by a state police certified instructor, I did it once and have a hand full of certificate copies around someplace that I use, never a problem.

Thanks, ARV. I'll send them what I have.

I suppose the worst CT can do is cash my $70 check and then say "sorry, no LTC for you."

Thanks, ARV. I'll send them what I have.

I suppose the worst CT can do is cash my $70 check and then say "sorry, no LTC for you."

I might have called and asked the people that you mail the app to. Cant remember at this point, couldn't hurt to give 'em a ring tomorrow.

I thought it was kinda funny that it costs less for a non-res than a res license.

Back
Top Bottom