• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upgrading to a Carbine stock in MA...Help

Here’s my situation...

I bought the Magpul MS2 Sling and ASAP Mount, however I didn't read the fine print and now realize that I cant use the ASAP because my Stock / Buffer tube is the standard factory A2. I like the Magpul sling system and would like to use it, so I've decided to change my standard factory A2 Stock system to a collapsible Carbine stock. (Probably Magpul CTR)

Problem 1 - I live in MA and I know working collapsible stocks are illegal because I have a Post ban Lower. So I need to have it pinned.

1. How do I go about getting a Pined stock or should I buy a new one and have it pinned by a gunsmith (If so can someone suggest one close to the Merrimack valley?)

Problem 2 - In order to have a carbine stock I think I need a Carbine length Buffer Tube / Buffer and Buffer Spring.
1. Should I buy these pieces with the stock, or separately?
2. Do they come into play when I'm pining the stock?
3. How can I be sure the new buffer tube will fit on my lower? (Bushmaster XM-15)

Can someone tell me the best way to go about doing this....Thanks.

Any AR15 buffer tube will fit your lower. The threads are all the same.

You need to make sure that if you buy a mil spec stock you get a mil spec buffer tube, if you get a commercial stock you need a commercial buffer tube.

Problem 1 isn't that big of a problem. There are plenty of places to have a stock pinned.

Problem 2.1, buy them wherever you can get them the cheapest.
Problem 2.2, yes, you need the buffer tube to fit the stock in order to be able to pin it.
Problem 2.3, They are all the same when it comes to that.

You do NOT want to get the CTR. You will be throwing away $40 for the most part. You have to pin it so the extra lock on the CTR is useless. Get the Magpul MOE.

Here's "how-to" on pinning a MOE.
http://nyshooters.net/forum/showthread.php?351-Permanently-pinning-a-collapsible-stock

Not all buffertube threads are the same. Find out if you need a 'commercial' or 'mil-spec' first.

I believe RemSport will pin it for you once you have the tube/stock. You should PM trm to find out.

Not all buffertube threads are the same. Find out if you need a 'commercial' or 'mil-spec' first.

I believe RemSport will pin it for you once you have the tube/stock. You should PM trm to find out.

I believe you are wrong. The threads are the same, it's the width of the tube where the stock goes that is different.

You do NOT want to get the CTR. You will be throwing away $40 for the most part. You have to pin it so the extra lock on the CTR is useless. Get the Magpul MOE.

Unless he wants the CTR because of the sling quick-disconnect mount, which the MOE does NOT have.......[wink]

Incorrect.

I believe you are wrong. The threads are the same, it's the width of the tube where the stock goes that is different.

Correct.

Additionally, you should be aware that several companies, including Bushmaster, make dedicated faux collapsible stocks that use rifle-length tubes and buffers (although the tube is specific to the stock, not a standard tube). You may wish to find one of these as it's much easier than pinning a perfectly good stock. I'm willing to bet that you could post in WTB and find one within days, we have a lot of people who leave MA and their first move is to evilfy their firearms.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided to buy the new tube (and associated carbine components) and pin the stock myself. This process will cost a little bit more and require more work, however these builds are a fun process and I'm looking forward to getting into the project.

I'm "Ruining" a perfectly good CTR because I like the look of it, and I want to be able to decide which setting I like it on, (something I haven't tinkered much with) Also I found one in the color I want with a free extended butpad. (the sling attachments are of no use to me as I'm tackling this whole Carbine changeover project in order to use the ASAP sling mount)

Hey Clby I just removed a pinned stock and maybe we can work something out? I won't be needing it any more. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Update... I just finished pinning the stock myself using Dadio's Method. Took about 20mins, and cost me $3.00 total. Thanks a lot guys !!!

I put my'n under the saftey lock leaver so you cant even see it!

And I used a 3/32 not a 1/8 and its still very tight.

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

Another Magpul bird gets its wings cliped in MA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom