US Airways pilot has ND on on board flight

imagine if the round ruptured the cabin wall & the plane depressurized !
I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, as simply putting a round though the "cabin wall" won't depressurize a plane. This was often the argument by uneducated anti's against arming pilots, with scenarios that seemed to imagine the pressure hull of an airline was a giant balloon, waiting to burst.

I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, as simply putting a round though the "cabin wall" won't depressurize a plane. This was often the argument by uneducated anti's against arming pilots, with scenarios that seemed to imagine the pressure hull of an airline was a giant balloon, waiting to burst.

I forgot my 'hee hee'
[smile]

It's believed that shortly before the discharge a Flight Attendant just outside the cockpit heard some say “I'm the only Flight Officer qualified to handle this firearm."

Respectfully,

jkelly

I always thought the better argument was line of fire but it looks like ND wins after all.

I would not be surprised if this was the result of transitioning from "in the box" to "on the belt."

Without a doubt it was a frangible round designed for aviation use. No way would it penetrate an aircrafts hull.

Still it happens ... oh well :)

That happened to me, My revolver accidentally went off 12 times. I accidentally reloaded. You can see that the tax payers money went into good use in training, cabin shooting 101 that must of been a great class.[rofl]

I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, as simply putting a round though the "cabin wall" won't depressurize a plane.

Mythbusters actually pressurized a plane and then shot a round off through the side to prove the point. Nothing happened. The plane didn't depressurize until they blew out a window with explosives. And nothing hugely dramatic happened until they blew up a huge chunk of the plane with a large bomb sized amount of explosives.

Without a doubt it was a frangible round designed for aviation use. No way would it penetrate an aircrafts hull.

Still it happens ... oh well :)

I shoot clay targets with a commercial pilot who carries a H&K while flying and I asked about frangible bullets and he said it was B.S. They are issued USP's in .40 cal and shoot jacketed hollowpoints.

I would not be surprised if this was the result of transitioning from "in the box" to "on the belt."

Or when the pilot carrying had to use the can. I imagine it would again be transitioned off his belt during the bathroom trip. I was on the red eye from CA last week in the front row. They make a big deal of the pilots coming out of the cock pit to the bathroom. Block off the aisle with drink cart, attendants stand sentry, etc.

Mythbusters actually pressurized a plane and then shot a round off through the side to prove the point. Nothing happened. The plane didn't depressurize until they blew out a window with explosives. And nothing hugely dramatic happened until they blew up a huge chunk of the plane with a large bomb sized amount of explosives.

I remember reading on an aviation site that a 747 can maintain cabin pressurization with the equivalent of three windows blown out.

You can see that the tax payers money went into good use in training, cabin shooting 101 that must of been a great class.

A friend and new club member is certified as a Federal Flight Deck Officer. He foots the entire cost to get trained. The airlines didn't pay a dime toward the training or recertification's.
This would be great to include in the new Southwest Airline commercials..."Wanna Get Away??

The FFDO issue gun is a H&K USP Compact .40 with LEM trigger.

I have to ask the next time I see my friend. He's always shooting his Sig and I was under the assumption that this was his firearm used while operating under the FFDO standards. In fact I wasn't aware he was actually issued anything.

Last edited:
I have to ask the next time I see my friend. He's always shooting his Sig and I was under the assumption that this was his firearm used while operating under the FFDO standards. In fact I wasn't aware he was actually issued anything.

Maybe there's a restriction on shooting your issue gun, and he doesn't have a non-issue one. He can buy his own, though (note the highlighted portions):
pdf-crack2.jpg

Last edited:

I am NOT trying to be an annoying nit picker here; I just felt that you might want to know:

On the Mythbusters show, the plane DID depressurize when the round penetrated the window. The myth was NOT if the plane would depressurize…. It WILL. The myth was that the plane would experience “explosive depressurization”. There is a big difference. When a plane depressurizes, the cabin pressure simply becomes equal to the exterior air pressure. In explosive depressurization, the airplane disassembles during equalization.

/John

From the Federal regs....

In general.—The Secretary shall authorize a Federal flight deck officer to carry a firearm on the officer’s person. Notwithstanding subsection (c)(1), the officer may purchase a firearm and carry that firearm in accordance with this section if the firearm is of a type that may be used under the program.

H&K is just putting out a special deal for FFDO at a good rate but the H&K isn't mandated for use in the program.

I am NOT trying to be an annoying nit picker here; I just felt that you might want to know:

On the Mythbusters show, the plane DID depressurize when the round penetrated the window. The myth was NOT if the plane would depressurize…. It WILL. The myth was that the plane would experience “explosive depressurization”. There is a big difference. When a plane depressurizes, the cabin pressure simply becomes equal to the exterior air pressure. In explosive depressurization, the airplane disassembles during equalization.

/John

Not quite true, especially with regard to "explosive depressurization." (The term, but the way, is "decompression" not "depressurization.") Airliners (or any pressurized aircraft for that matter) use bleed air off the engines to pressurize the cabin, and control pressurization by means of an adjustable valve that restricts the flow of air going outside the airplane. The degree of "open-ness" of the valve determines the pressurization differential, usually kept at around 8psi. Once you exceed the ability of the pressurization system to maintain a pressure differential with the ambient air, for whatever reason (engine failure, pax failure, bleed air leak, etc.), you will start to move toward decompression. Each hole you put in the pressure vessel is another "valve" the pressurization system has to overcome. Think of it as filling a bucket from a faucet and keeping the water just barely flowing over the top. Shoot one small .40cal hole, and the system can keep up; add some more holes, and at some point you're leaking too much water out of your bucket, and you'll have gradual decompression; bigger holes, and you move toward rapid decompression (your lungs decompress faster than the cabin); blow out a large window, door, or the freaking roof (Aloha Airlines Flight 243), and you have explosive decompression (cabin decompresses faster than the lungs can). This is where you get things like hypoxia, pneumothoraxes and blown ear drums/sinuses, and unsecured people/debris departing the airplane. You can also get some deformation of the panels/bulkheads, but the airplane doesn't "explode." It's also very loud, and you briefly get "fog" in the air as moisture rapidly condenses out of the air, which people sometimes confuse as smoke.

From the Federal regs....

H&K is just putting out a special deal for FFDO at a good rate but the H&K isn't mandated for use in the program.
Dude, you simply quoted the underlying bill authorizing the FFDO program (HR4126), not the agency regs. Note is says "...if the firearm is of a type that may be used under the program." It doesn't list the "type thay may be used," it just says you can also purchase and carry a non-issue weapon if it's the "type that may be used." The current issue FFDO weapon is the H&K Compact USP40 LEM.

Note the H&K ad says "configured exactly as the FFDO issue model."

Check with your FFDO bud. I did mine.

A statement from TSA said the airplane was never in danger, and the TSA and the Federal Air Marshals Service are investigating the incident.

So rounds flying around a cockpit didn't place the plane in danger, but I have to pay $100.00 a minute to use a "specially shielded" Airphone rather than my cellphone in flight. Right..........

A statement from TSA said the airplane was never in danger, and the TSA and the Federal Air Marshals Service are investigating the incident.

So rounds flying around a cockpit didn't place the plane in danger, but I have to pay $100.00 a minute to use a "specially shielded" Airphone rather than my cellphone in flight. Right..........

Given the redundant systems built into jet airliners, I suspect it might well be very hard to bring down the aircraft with a single bullet.

Back
Top Bottom