USCG 3gun registration open

Is this going to be run under IDPA multigun rules?

The Connecticut Sport Shooters website says, "The match will be run according to IDPA rules as much as possible. Specific rules and procedures will be explained at each stage walk through. We will use IDPA scoring"

Mike Critser, who is handling registration, has his email posted on the site and will answer any specific questions.

Here is a link to the multigun rules. http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPA_DMG_rules_07062010.pdf

In short, a course of fire for handguns is restricted to 18 rounds; for 2 guns, 23 rounds and 3 guns, 28 rounds. A course of fire for handgun only is again limited to 18 rounds; rifle only, is 18 rounds and shotgun only is 10 rounds.

Last edited:
Anyone know any more details of this match? Stages, round count, etc? There is no info on the Hartford Club page and it doesn't look like matchreg has been updated in a while.

In short, a course of fire for handguns is restricted to 18 rounds; for 2 guns, 23 rounds and 3 guns, 28 rounds. A course of fire for handgun only is again limited to 18 rounds; rifle only, is 18 rounds and shotgun only is 10 rounds.

Not much shooting for $125 or am I understanding a 3 gun match wrong?
Dave

Not much shooting for $125 or am I understanding a 3 gun match wrong?
Dave
You are understanding it wrong :)

A three gun match will consist of several courses of fire each for rifle, pistol and shotgun. The totals listed for a course of fire is each, not the entire match.

The matchreg site says: but 7-8 stages, pistol: 110rds ,
shotgun: 40rds birdshot (7 1/2 max), 5 rds slug and rifle:140 rds estimated.

This will be my first 3 gun match, so I don't yet have a shotgun specifically for 3 gun. I only have a Mossberg 500 with two barrels, 18.5" cylinder or a 28" vent rib with screw in chokes. Thoughts from the more experienced which I should use?

This will be my first 3 gun match, so I don't yet have a shotgun specifically for 3 gun. I only have a Mossberg 500 with two barrels, 18.5" cylinder or a 28" vent rib with screw in chokes. Thoughts from the more experienced which I should use?
Given those two options, the choice is clear. The barrel with chokes.
What would you use without any opinion?

I was signed up for the USCG shoot and have to now back out, aka there is a slot open for Sunday. Mike Critser told me I could send a friend ...

Anybody want my slot? Green members free entry on my dime (i.e. already paid for long time ago)

-Tim

This match was a great time. Thanks to the cadets and CT sport shooters for all of their hard work.

The cadets and their instructors were all respectful, courteous and helpful. I've been impressed every time I come into contact with them. Listening to some of the match scenarios, I couldn't help but think that for some of the cadets these could be real world situations in the not too distant future. I like the fact the match proceeds will go to help the cadets shoot more.

Last edited:
Just got back from the match myself. Great stages and it was fun to interact with all the Cadets. They did a great job running the match and moving things along. I esp. liked Stage 8 with the long range shots and stage 3 with the lock and switches. There unfortunately was a freak accident today which shut down the match for quite awhile as police and EMTs had to be rushed in. This backed everything up and a bunch of people were not able to finish (including myself). Thanks to Conn Sport Shooters and everyone else who put in a great effort to put on this match. I'll definitely be going back next year.

What a wonderful day yesterday. Wake up time was 5:30 AM! Too early! I got on the road around 6 and headed straight for Hartford Gun Club. First off, let me say, what a nice club. Action pits, a 200yd Range, 10 trap houses, and an indoor? What more can you ask for?

Oh how about a Coast Guard Maritime 3gun match? Yea, sounds great.

So I showed up, to find I was definitely going to be dead last just by looking. But heck, tworley had given me this as a karma, so I might as well have fun with it! I was on squad 1, which meant we started at the first of 8 stages.

Stage 1: All shotgun, starting off with 5 slugs followed by 25 birdshot. 25 Birdshot rapidly turned into 40 birdshot for me, since I don't often shoot my shotgun. And with only a 4+1 pump gun, it took me a good long time to finish the stage.

Stage 2: An indoor, dark stage. No light with a clamshell which featured a hostage jumping up to cover the badguy if you didn't get him in time.

Stage 3; A zig zag using my AR15 with a set of light switches to flip in the middle of the stage. Note to self: take procedural for not touching the crazy light switches. Not worth the time it took.

Stage 4: This was one of the coolest stages of all. I've posted a video on Youtube and will post a link as soon as it processes for you to get a gist of it. Being lifted and lowered by a winch while shooting was pretty cool.

Stage 5: This stage was a pistol stage. Unfortunately due to an unfrotunate event, this stage was closed before we could run it. This closure caused a severe slow down and a range stoppage for over an hour.

Stage 6: A mixed rifle and shotgun stage. I'll also have a video of this. Highlight: I got to use a battering ram to take down a door. Not cuz, I had to, but because I thought it would be neat!

Stage 7: This was a neat stage with bad guys popping up and down in windows due to a spinner, but due to time constraints i decided to forgo this stage for Stage 8.

Stage 8: long range rifle. First you shoot with a PTR91 sniper rifle in 7.62x39 provided by the range at 3 targets. Followed by a jog down the lane to pick up your rifle, shoot at 18 bad guys, followed by some prone target shooting. Due to darkness, I couldn't see crap through my iron sights and while having no problem hitting the prone targets at 50, and 150 yds, the ones at 75yds were so small and it was so dark I only managed to hit one.

My highlights:
1) My first 3gun, nice people, making some new friends, etc
2) Taking a "door" down with a battering ram. sweet.
3) 40 shots with a shotgun in 4 minutes? No problem!
4) Having a bunch of fun
5) Blue hats: Blue hat targets get 4 shots instead of 2. Shoutout to Henry Bowman!

Shoutouts:
Shoutouts to:
Coast Guard Combat Arms team: These guys were the SO's for the event and did a fantastic job of setting up the event and running it.

PTR91 - These were one of the vendors and sponsors. They bought out HK's tooling from the Portugal factory and moved it to Farmington, CT. I only got to shoot 3 rounds through their gun, but was told by many that it felt better then HK's stuff.

Samson - Also a sponsor of the match. Had some very cool rails and tactical accessories available. They gave me a free shirt. In fact the guys from Samson were in my squad. They're based in MA and just starting to sell to the Civ market, but their products are cool. Check them out.

HGC - for hosting the event

Twortley - For giving me free admission to this awesome event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stage 8: long range rifle. First you shoot with a PTR91 sniper rifle in 7.62x39 provided by the range at 3 targets. Followed by a jog down the lane to pick up your rifle, shoot at 18 bad guys, followed by some prone target shooting. Due to darkness, I couldn't see crap through my iron sights and while having no problem hitting the prone targets at 50, and 150 yds, the ones at 75yds were so small and it was so dark I only managed to hit one.
I liked this stage too. The PTR91 was sweet and I got all my hits. I was fortunate to shoot Saturday, mid-afternoon with good light.

There unfortunately was a freak accident today which shut down the match for quite awhile as police and EMTs had to be rushed in. This backed everything up and a bunch of people were not able to finish (including myself).

Oh no, what happened? Did everyone end up OK?

Stage 3; A zig zag using my AR15 with a set of light switches to flip in the middle of the stage. Note to self: take procedural for not touching the crazy light switches. Not worth the time it took.

It was a failure to do right if you didn't touch the switches :)

incorrect. It was a failure to do right if you didn't touch them...but if you TOUCHED them, and just didn't switch them, only a procedural.

Actually we were told that unless you showed an effort, it was a failure to do right. If you tried a couple switches and left then it was only a procedural.

noone shot themselves. From what I can tell, ricochet hit the wood on top of a berm, bounced back down and hit someone scoring in the next pit over.

Ow. I've seen something as light as a metal jacket come back and cause some serious damage. I hope the person hit recovers quickly.

Back
Top Bottom