USMC Boston PD question

Hey guys,

I'm getting out of the Marine Corps soon and was just wondering what my chances are of getting into Boston PD when I get out. I have been a resident of Boston for over a year and have read and meet all the requirements. I am 22 and I have been on multiple combat tours in Afghanistan. I am white, just wondering if that will hurt me or affect their decision at all. I will be receiving an Honorable discharge (not general under honorable). I have my high school diploma and some college credits. If anyone works there or could answer any questions or explain the process to me that would be awesome. I have already contacted their HR department and have talked with them but wanted to check on here to see if there were any Boston cops that could shed some light or give me some realistic probabilities or advice. Thank you very much for your help.

you're at the mercy of Civil Service. You could score a 110% on the test, perfect score and veterans preference included and still be #185 on the list. Sorry to say it, but you're not the right ethnic makeup.

you'd have a much better shot in a smaller town/city. Revere, Chelsea, Saugus, Canton, Stoughton, etc.

you're at the mercy of Civil Service. You could score a 110% on the test, perfect score and veterans preference included and still be #185 on the list. Sorry to say it, but you're not the right ethnic makeup.

you'd have a much better shot in a smaller town/city. Revere, Chelsea, Saugus, Canton, Stoughton, etc.

Or Mansfield![smile]

This. It really sucks that race plays a major role in choosing cops, but it applies for many jobs as well. Thanks for your service.

Hey guys,

I'm getting out of the Marine Corps soon and was just wondering what my chances are of getting into Boston PD when I get out. I have been a resident of Boston for over a year and have read and meet all the requirements. I am 22 and I have been on multiple combat tours in Afghanistan. I am white, just wondering if that will hurt me or affect their decision at all. I will be receiving an Honorable discharge (not general under honorable). I have my high school diploma and some college credits. If anyone works there or could answer any questions or explain the process to me that would be awesome. I have already contacted their HR department and have talked with them but wanted to check on here to see if there were any Boston cops that could shed some light or give me some realistic probabilities or advice. Thank you very much for your help.

check your NES inbox

How are your knees? What about your hearing? Get a disability rating from the VA and you'll shoot right to the top of the list. Sad, but that's the way MA works.

Ya I guess that's true...well you can if you were on Leatherneck or some other FOB....then you just claim diabetes from getting obese...

BPD is currently going through the process of hiring another class for December. I know a friend who scored a 97 non vet and white with a college degree, got a card and is on track for the class in December. BPD apparently reached down to 94 for the new class. Lots of guys get themselves disqualified for one reason or another, using blue ink on the app when it says use black.... Take the test this March/April and see how you do it is entirely possible to get on .

ochmude - "Get a disability rating from the VA." THIS!
You need to get at least 30%.
If less than that, go to a VSO and have them fight for a higher rating.

smitty

check your NES inbox

Yup, ditto

- - - Updated - - -

smitty

Or appeal it enough they give you DAV preference without the percentage. Rare, but it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

How are your knees? What about your hearing? Get a disability rating from the VA and you'll shoot right to the top of the list. Sad, but that's the way MA works.

And youre the last to get laid off.

smitty

I got DAV with only 10%. You should only be bypassed for being a white male when they're specifically looking for females or other-language speakers, not many Caucasians speak Haitian Creole, Chinese, Spanish, etc.

Wait a minute - so a higher VA rating HELPS you get hired, and actually helps protect your job once you are hired and layoffs come around? I did not know this.

If concurrent receipt gets fixed like they say, my retirement might not be so bad after all. 7 years to go, but I'm not looking forward to where the job market and economy may be at that point.

Back
Top Bottom