Vacum sealer questions

Noob question . Saw one of the folks I'm subscribed to on youtube using one of these. He says you can use regular zip lock baggies as well as the vacuum bags with it . Is that true and dose any one have any experience with this brand ? Or is there a better model/ brand for the same price range $90 to $150 . Thanks Tundra

I would say no. The real bags have channels to let the air out. Otherwise the bag would just slam shut immediately and not let any air out. There are tricks for sealing Mylar bags.

I believe the sealer bar will melt right through a regular bag.

ETA: Take this for what it's worth; I'm a vacuum sealer noob myself. So far I've only sealed an emergency bag of cat food.

Ziplock bags are not great for long term storage, too thin. For temporary use they have a place. The seal bar will melt through the bag, but it still fuses. Sealing the heaver top avoids that, but most have flaws in the factory edge of the zip area. You get some vacuum in the bag, but not as good as the channel bags

Suck it up and fork over the dough for the bags with the full textured side. There are cheaper bags with a strip of texture running down the middle, some people say the work fine but not me. I wouldn't bother trying to keep anything long term in a ziplock bag, heat sealed or not.

Mrs Twigg and I have been using the Foodsaver bags (full textured side) for over 15 years now and they work the best.

Suck it up and fork over the dough for the bags with the full textured side. There are cheaper bags with a strip of texture running down the middle, some people say the work fine but not me. I wouldn't bother trying to keep anything long term in a ziplock bag, heat sealed or not.

Mrs Twigg and I have been using the Foodsaver bags (full textured side) for over 15 years now and they work the best.

^^^ That. The "savings" you will get with cheap bags will end up costing more than they decent ones by the time you factor in your time trying to make them work or the food you will have to toss when the cheap bag fails. Also, make sure you don't be stingy with the bags.. I would often try to skimp and cut less than I actually needed, only to either run the food due to a bad seal or have to throw the damn bag I made out and start over.

IIRC I have the Foodsaver Deluxe that takes the hose attachment. It was around $120 when I got it, including the vacuum hose, mason jar sealer, and two bags. It has paid for itself several times over. Buy once, cry once.

^^^ That. The "savings" you will get with cheap bags will end up costing more than they decent ones by the time you factor in your time trying to make them work or the food you will have to toss when the cheap bag fails. Also, make sure you don't be stingy with the bags.. I would often try to skimp and cut less than I actually needed, only to either run the food due to a bad seal or have to throw the damn bag I made out and start over.

IIRC I have the Foodsaver Deluxe that takes the hose attachment. It was around $120 when I got it, including the vacuum hose, mason jar sealer, and two bags. It has paid for itself several times over. Buy once, cry once.

i have the same unit, get the right bags and don't look back. it turn out to be expensive.

Back
Top Bottom