• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Veterans Day

This is what I'm talking about, with all the respect in the world to @peterk123

YOU think it's an "honor and a privilege," for YOU. For the person you're saying it to? They might be cringing inside. They might want you to STFU. They might wish you hadn't even spoken to them. They'll politely nod and mumble something, but the entire time? They'll wish you'd go away and shut up.

In other words, when you thank a vet, it's about YOU, and not them. Ask yourself if that's the message you want to be sending to veterans, because (again, all respect, unironically given) the message I receive when you say thanks? Is that it's all about you civilians, and not about me. I'd rather just be left alone. You can go have your honor and your privilege some other way; don't tie it to my life choices.

Just something to think about.
Well, in this particular case he was in Ace Hardware, raising money for local vets. I donated 20 bucks and thanked him. He appreciated the gesture and told me he served for 20 years. And he was quite proud of it, as he should be. And it had nothing to do with me. With all due respect to @Picton what an absolutely stupid statement.

For crying out loud, why does everything we say these days offend someone? Ridiculous. Get over yourself.

Here's a solution. Get rid of veterans day. You know because it hurt someone's feelings. It's what we do with everything today. Get rid of it because it's offensive. Holidays, statues, traditions, everything. F# it.

Man what a stupid thread this became. And I just added to it. Goodnight

Well, in this particular case he was in Ace Hardware, raising money for local vets. I donated 20 bucks and thanked him. He appreciated the gesture and told me he served for 20 years. And he was quite proud of it, as he should be. And it had nothing to do with me. With all due respect to @Picton what an absolutely stupid statement.

For crying out loud, why does everything we say these days offend someone? Ridiculous. Get over yourself.

Here's a solution. Get rid of veterans day. You know because it hurt someone's feelings. It's what we do with everything today. Get rid of it because it's offensive. Holidays, statues, traditions, everything. F# it.

Man what a stupid thread this became. And I just added to it. Goodnight
Scroll up and read where I explicitly said it doesn't offend me.

No need to get all butthurt. I'm giving you feedback. You can take it or leave it, but no veteran is going to say that to your face. Believe me: some of them are thinking it. Not all. But some. There is more than one post in this thread alone, from veterans, who are telling you exactly the same thing.

It's your choice whether you want to listen or not. But I'll stand by what I say. I think you'll agree that I have the right to my opinion about my own service, and that it outweighs your opinion about my service. Right?

When I joined the military I didn't do it for anyone's freedom. Hell, the country is a frigging banana republic at this point and was heading in that direction when I was still in.

So, I guess the thanking thing is inappropriate for me. I did approximately zero things to make the US better. Hell, after my participation in the Boston DNC it might be safe to say I made the US just a little worse. I dunno.

All I know is people really don't need to go out of thier way to thank me. The older I get the more I move away from it. The only obvious outwardly sign I'm a veteran is veteran plates and I only have those because they can come in handy.

It always made me feel awkward. I always think people should thank veterans by not supporting all these damn wars.

Lots if vets came home from Nam to a bad reception. When we landed in Ca. fresh from Nam there were girls spitting at us and calling us baby killers. I think that when fast forwarded to today, when someone says thank you for your service, its awkward and or uncomfortable for some who have already been spit upon for that same service.

This says it all to me. I'm both a veteran and work in public safety. I don't advertise either, and get uncomfortable when on duty when people come up to us thanking us.
What was really awkward, and really pissed me off, was the occasional parent yelling at a kid, who would point and say, “See those men? If you don’t behave they’re going to take you to jail!”

One woman messed up once. She turned to me and said, “Isn’t that right???”

I don’t remember my exact words, but I said that no, kids don’t go to jail for having too much energy in a public place.

I do remember the look on her face, though.

Back
Top Bottom